Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Okay so my wife and I always have this argument about the super rich.

She says Bill Gates (just to give a specific example) is, like, a really good guy because of the charity work he does and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation or whatever.

I say no, Bill Gates does those things not because he is a good person, but to assuage his guilt about having so much money. Its not about the people he is helping, its more about the amount of people he could be helping but chooses not to due to selfishness and greed(which is something all wealthy people are afflicted with).

The Life Preserver Analogy goes like this:

Life is a boat trip. The Super rich are cruising around in mega-yachts equipped with life boats and tons of life preservers. and uhhhhh.. the life preservers are like money. okay. Then there are the poors which are represented by people with no boat, they are just scattered around treading water as long as they can to avoid the inevitable.

Basically I'm a rich guy and I have 100 life preservers and lets say 300 people are treading water near my boat. I either have a little empathy for some of them, or just want some karma cred or whatever my motivation and I throw out 12 life preservers, saving 12 people from their dire situation.

I still have nearly all my life preservers (which i do nothing with by the way, i just like having them). So the question is, am I a hero or a selfish monster?

It really makes you think. yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
suck his dick

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
please understand that if i ever get rich for some reason, i aint helping anyone. i might donate to no-kill animal shelters but thats about it. people are terrible.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

JiveHonky posted:

please understand that if i ever get rich for some reason, i aint helping anyone. i might donate to no-kill animal shelters but thats about it. people are terrible.

gently caress him in the rear end in a top hat

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

just ray posted:

suck his dick

so in your example the rich person is a "suck" and the "dick" is poor people or is it reversed

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I use all of my money on food and stuff I like.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

just ray posted:

gently caress him in the rear end in a top hat

what you are suggestiong is economic suicide which there are rules against

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What's it take to be rich in Idaho, like $30,000?

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
lick his vagina

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

JiveHonky posted:

would you help me with a month's rent if i needed it? i'm not saying that i do, or that i will. just asking to gauge your receptiveness to helping me.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

i nvested heavily in potatoe futures and now i own my own Jamba Juice store

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

OctoberBlues posted:

ID is a playground for billionaires, but everywhere has its trailer parks

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

scott zoloft posted:

would you help me with a month's rent if i needed it? i'm not saying that i do, or that i will. just asking to gauge your receptiveness to helping me.

yes, only because you are not technically people

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bill gates has enough money to give everyone on the planet $5 and will still have $54 billion left over.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
Bill Gates has enough money to give me $78 billion but he chooses not to. Truly an immoral man.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

JiveHonky posted:

i nvested heavily in potatoe futures and now i own my own Jamba Juice store

I'm happy for you jh, glad you're no longer living in denial. :)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Those sure are a lot of words OP

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
suckle upon his balls

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i emailed this thread to bill gates

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I wish someone would give me money. :smith:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kuato posted:

I wish someone would give me money. :smith:

I can give you about tree fiddy

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
The way I figure it, if you give the life preservers to people now, what happens when there are people later who need the life preservers even more? I would only give life preservers to the people who couldn't swim and I would hold on to the rest and invest them, and make more life preservers, and that way it would be possible to save even more people. I would endow a fund with life preservers and use the interest ever year to give people the life preservers they need to start their own boats where they can make their own life preservers.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm happy for you jh, glad you're no longer living in denial. :)

de nile dont go through idaho (winks)

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I play a millionaire at parties.

At least, I'd like to.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

amityville anus posted:

I play a millionaire at parties.

At least, I'd like to.

I do this at bars, when I talk to women.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

misty mountaintop posted:

The way I figure it, if you give the life preservers to people now, what happens when there are people later who need the life preservers even more? I would only give life preservers to the people who couldn't swim and I would hold on to the rest and invest them, and make more life preservers, and that way it would be possible to save even more people. I would endow a fund with life preservers and use the interest ever year to give people the life preservers they need to start their own boats where they can make their own life preservers.

poors is poors.

i woul probably sort out the poors who have young ones first though. they have the moistest flesh

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
you gonna lick his hole op?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The very system of modern consumerism that allows billionaires to do this charity is the system that helps produce and maintain the inequality and poverty that makes charity required.

aside from like natural disaster stuff ofc, no revolution is going to stop hurricanes hitting things

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

The very system of modern consumerism that allows billionaires to do this charity is the system that helps produce and maintain the inequality and poverty that makes charity required.

aside from like natural disaster stuff ofc, no revolution is going to stop hurricanes hitting things

What about windmills?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

What about windmills?

imo just look at where that got the Dutch

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

misty mountaintop posted:

so pretty much what bill gates did

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

imo just look at where that got the Dutch

Don Quixote?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
yeah but is bill gates good or bad?

Adbot