Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

Op is right, Italian food is awesome
Grated squash on bolognese is a little weird but it looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Goodpancakes posted:

1. American produce loving blows.

2. Greek is the best olive oil. Good Italian brands are buying the Greek stuff.

american backyard produce is as good as any

and the unavoidable fact that the main ingredient in most italian dishes is greek says everything for me

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Oscar Wild posted:

Pasta alla Schifezza

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

american backyard produce is as good as any

nah though

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Guess I'll go to Fazolis by myself then

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

1. American produce loving blows.

2. Greek is the best olive oil. Good Italian brands are buying the Greek stuff.

Italian olive oil is run completely by the mafia, and the majority of it sold and exported is bootleg vegetable oil with food coloring, with little to no olive oil in it. This is being sold by major brands in the US as actual olive oil when it usually isn't.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

Italian olive oil is run completely by the mafia, and the majority of it sold and exported is bootleg vegetable oil with food coloring, with little to no olive oil in it. This is being sold by major brands in the US as actual olive oil when it usually isn't.

actually this is true

get your olive oil from :ca: instead

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Moridin920 posted:

actually this is true

get your olive oil from :ca: instead

Isn't California olive oil production run by the gay mafia?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Oscar Wild posted:

thats greek food

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Well I'm almost out the door, putting a coat on in case I get chilly. Still some time if anyone does want to come to Fazolis with me. Otherwise I'll just feast on unlimited breadsticks by myself, you know, whatever.

*slowly opens door*

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.

OctoberBlues posted:

Well I'm almost out the door, putting a coat on in case I get chilly. Still some time if anyone does want to come to Fazolis with me. Otherwise I'll just feast on unlimited breadsticks by myself, you know, whatever.

*slowly opens door*

i would be down for some fazoli's OB

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

we used to eat at fazoli's after cross country practice in high school lol

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im a big fan of spaghetti

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like Italian foods but charging 20 for meatless noodles is a loving con

Also lol at being an Italian chef. There's a reason that even deranged Italian women can cook that kind of food.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
best fruit i ever ate was from numerous dirty open air markets in s. America it's like they injected it all with extra flavor and sugar and poo poo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also lol at being an Italian chef. There's a reason that even deranged Italian women can cook that kind of food.

harsh but true

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

lol another fool who is useless in a kitchen

if i asked you to mix me up some pasta dough you'd prolly look at me blankly and ask if you should use the kitchen-aid

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
no italian food is easy as poo poo to cook it is just time consuming. reference: my family is italian and it's the only thing some of them can claim to be halfway good at.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
protip there's very little that's actually 'difficult' to cook. it's just 50% paying attention to detail and patience and 50% the freshest best ingredients you can find.

even something like a flambe looks way more impressive than it really is

if 'difficulty to cook' is your metric as opposed to tastiness when in your mouth or appearance on a plate then lol

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

Spaghetti alla Puttanesca is the greatest food known to man.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Moridin920 posted:

protip there's very little that's actually 'difficult' to cook. it's just 50% paying attention to detail and patience and 50% the freshest best ingredients you can find.

if 'difficulty to cook' is your metric as opposed to tastiness when in your mouth or appearance on a plate then lol

What percentage is attention to detail and what percentage is patience?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

if i asked you to mix me up some pasta dough you'd prolly look at me blankly and ask if you should use the kitchen-aid

oh boy, get the popcorn out

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
moridin arent you a line cook

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
nah if you think italian cuisine is bad bc "it's so simple, too easy!" you're just a dummy that's all lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i don't believe anyone said it was bad

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The only food italians eat is pasta and pizza

there is nothing else

they know nothing else :stare:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Zzulu posted:

The only food italians eat is pasta and pizza

there is nothing else

they know nothing else :stare:

I think they eat grapes too

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
grapes wine bread and cheese is an excellent meal

thathonkey posted:

moridin arent you a line cook

nah not anymore. is that supposed to be bad though? I've spent thousands of hours in professional kitchens in a highly competitive area. Yeah I'm no head chef but I can run you a pass just as well as most of the sous I've worked with and I def hold my own on a busy dinner shift.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 23, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I think they eat grapes too

shut the gently caress up hector

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Oh no making loving dough a mystery from the crystal dimension

Also the height of Italian technique

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Spices? What? --an Italian

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh no making loving dough a mystery from the crystal dimension

Also the height of Italian technique

mama mia, that'sa spicy meatballa!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

mama mia, that'sa spicy meatballa!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

And yet every cook is extremely proud of the work they do, unless they're Italian, in which case proud is not a strong enough word as they feel they regularly do the labors of Hercules in boiling noodles and cooking onions, peppers and tomatoes in a pan.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

And yet every cook is extremely proud of the work they do, unless they're Italian, in which case they feel they regularly do the labors of Hercules in boiling noodles and cooking onions, pepper and tomatoes in a pan.

that's because it's a great feeling producing an excellent dish from some raw ingredients and then having people enjoy it. it's also because yeah it takes some skill built up by repetition to really make something truly excellent and it's normal to be proud of that skill.

Esp if it's a recipe they came up with themselves which tastes good bc of their developed sense of flavor profiles.

I really dunno what you're on about with Italian cooks acting like they're superman or something I suggest maybe having some lasagna and relaxing :)

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

grapes wine bread and cheese is an excellent meal

nah not anymore. is that supposed to be bad though? I've spent thousands of hours in professional kitchens in a highly competitive area. Yeah I'm no head chef but I can run you a pass just as well as most of the sous I've worked with and I def hold my own on a busy dinner shift.

lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Some day I will meet a cook that says "I've worked in restaurants for years but I feel there's a lot of food I can't do justice to and a lot of people who do what I do better than I do it" instead "I'M A BADASS BITCH ON THE LINE, THE WHISTLE GOES WOOO WOOOOOOO"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

that's because it's a great feeling producing an excellent dish from some raw ingredients and then having people enjoy it. it's also because yeah it takes some skill built up by repetition to really make something truly excellent and it's normal to be proud of that skill.

Esp if it's a recipe they came up with themselves which tastes good bc of their developed sense of flavor profiles.

I really dunno what you're on about with Italian cooks acting like they're superman or something I suggest maybe having some lasagna and relaxing :)

So is there very little to it or is there actually something to be proud of, because right now what you're telling me is that it's normal to be proud over very little.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Yah, try making loving risotto, you GabbaGoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

So is there very little to it or is there actually something to be proud of, because right now what you're telling me is that it's normal to be proud over very little.

when did I say there was very little to it? I said no cuisine is particularly difficult in terms of complexity to produce which is the weirdo metric you are using to determine if something is 'good' or not (why not taste or appearance?). Obv it still requires skill to do things but patience and attention to detail will get you most of the way there.

that's nothing to do with the other things I mentioned like picking out good ingredients at the market and prepping them well with good knife skills and coming up with a tasty dish that people enjoy

you act like people created food just to one up each other with how hard it is to cook. They didn't. They made it to eat and enjoy. We're not talking about model trains.

it's normal to end a shift proud of the fact that you actually did something that night (fed a bunch of people) vs jerking off at the office for 8 hours

Sheep-Goats posted:

Some day I will meet a cook that says "I've worked in restaurants for years but I feel there's a lot of food I can't do justice to and a lot of people who do what I do better than I do it" instead "I'M A BADASS BITCH ON THE LINE, THE WHISTLE GOES WOOO WOOOOOOO"

Suddenly me thinking I'm a better cook than the average goon saying Italian food is too simple to be valid is the latter? Ofc the former applies to me no poo poo.

VendaGoat posted:

Yah, try making loving risotto, you GabbaGoons.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 23, 2016

• Locked thread