Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
A robot that goes into a forest, uses long-range sensors to make sure absolutely no one is around for at least a radius of 500 miles, then it chops down a tree. The robot has no means of detecting any kind of sound. It's only purpose is so that you, right now, can choose to decide whether or not, when that tree falls, you actually give the slightest gently caress.

That's it. That's my robot, I hope you like it.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Splatmaster posted:

A robot that goes into a forest, uses long-range sensors to make sure absolutely no one is around for at least a radius of 500 miles, then it chops down a tree. The robot has no means of detecting any kind of sound. It's only purpose is so that you, right now, can choose to decide whether or not, when that tree falls, you actually give the slightest gently caress.

That's it. That's my robot, I hope you like it.

google THIS

a robot that assembles an exact replica of itself, using its own parts, and leaves the philosophers to decide whether the end product is the same robot or not

Senior Management

Diogenes of Sinope but a robot version with oil instead of human fluids.

:jerry:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Vynar posted:

Diogenes of Sinope but a robot version with oil instead of human fluids.

Good androids nowhere, but Game Boys at Sparta.

Sig by Heather Papps

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
a robo-trolley that kills the greater number of people regardless of whether or not the lever was pulled

joke_explainer

HighwireAct posted:

a robo-trolley that kills the greater number of people regardless of whether or not the lever was pulled

The superman problem wasn't something I expected to come into real applications so quickly in my lifetime, but here we are, having to choose how to program machines that will hold lives in their hands and have to deal with catastrophic events where people will die. Programmers who don't minimize loss of life seem like their companies could be liable for the damages their machines do, even if the machines hurt less people than a human in the same situation might have: The programming and decision making is clearly to blame, not the individual at the switch who could not have been expected to make a rational decision in a short span of time. Sensors putting out and receiving signals hundreds of times a second and decision making that can complete lookups and deep study of things before a synapse can even finish firing are a reality of the world we live in.

So the topic of a machine having to account for the behavior of other machines is very interesting. What data will they try to gather before they make their decision? Will the relative sociopathy of the programming of a machine factor heavily into the decision making of the robot? It seems like they run into very difficult race conditions very easily here. If your decision-making computer is certain the other computer will make a decision that will minimize loss of life no matter what, it would assume it would veer out of the way even if it meant sacrificing its own occupants, so it logically shouldn't veer in order to keep the greatest number alive. But if the other computer knows the first machine is also programmed the same way, it would assume it would veer first. Are they allowed to talk to each other? Roll the dice? If both of them assume the other will veer, they'll just careen into each other. Very strange times.

BoldFrankensteinMir

joke_explainer posted:

The superman problem wasn't something I expected to come into real applications so quickly in my lifetime, but here we are, having to choose how to program machines that will hold lives in their hands and have to deal with catastrophic events where people will die. Programmers who don't minimize loss of life seem like their companies could be liable for the damages their machines do, even if the machines hurt less people than a human in the same situation might have: The programming and decision making is clearly to blame, not the individual at the switch who could not have been expected to make a rational decision in a short span of time. Sensors putting out and receiving signals hundreds of times a second and decision making that can complete lookups and deep study of things before a synapse can even finish firing are a reality of the world we live in.

So the topic of a machine having to account for the behavior of other machines is very interesting. What data will they try to gather before they make their decision? Will the relative sociopathy of the programming of a machine factor heavily into the decision making of the robot? It seems like they run into very difficult race conditions very easily here. If your decision-making computer is certain the other computer will make a decision that will minimize loss of life no matter what, it would assume it would veer out of the way even if it meant sacrificing its own occupants, so it logically shouldn't veer in order to keep the greatest number alive. But if the other computer knows the first machine is also programmed the same way, it would assume it would veer first. Are they allowed to talk to each other? Roll the dice? If both of them assume the other will veer, they'll just careen into each other. Very strange times.

Obviously the solution is to suspend the concept of responsibility completely; remember Asimov's onlyth law of robotics: poo poo Happens.

Content: A robot that vacations at national parks and leaves trash everywhere.

Sig by Heather Papps

Senior Management

A robot that is on his phone in the movie theater

darkarchon

My name is a trolling word
a robot that cleans up non-flushable kitty litter and flushes it down

Senior Management

A robot that clogs toilets

FactsAreUseless

A robot that is your friend. We don't need it. We don't need, you robot! Nobody wants you here! Go on! Go away! You don't belong here! Go back to your own kind, robot! Go! [holding back tears]

google THIS

joke_explainer posted:

A robot that explains jokes :evilbuddy:

joke_explainer

google THIS posted:

A robot that explains jokes :evilbuddy:

:negative:

Senior Management

For those who do not understand our friend joke_explainer frequently explains jokes in detail hence the name. He also has a robot avatar. More specifically it is a gif file (Graphics Interchange Format) depicting a fan interpretation of popular Futurama character and robot Bender. Bender's name is a comical double entendre because not only was his original purpose to bend girders, but he also drank heavily and committed crimes. Humans might refer to prolonged streaks of behavior like this colloquially as "benders." Please consult more comprehensive references if you desire a more long form and technical understanding of this subject matter. Long story short, our beloved poster joke_explainer is not technically required by society even though he is much better at explaining things than I am according to google THIS. He comes off as much less condescending and annoying than I do right now. Please see his post history for details. Please practice safe poobing.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

FactsAreUseless posted:

A robot that is your friend. We don't need it. We don't need, you robot! Nobody wants you here! Go on! Go away! You don't belong here! Go back to your own kind, robot! Go! [holding back tears]

The X-man cometh
A robot that wears pants even though they don't have genitals.

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
A robot who cockblocks you when you are chatting up a hot girl at the bar, but who does not himself have a cock, and does it just to be a jerk.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

A robot that automatically boots up, says "let me Bing that real quick!" then returns to hibernate mode every time a rhetorical question is asked within range of its hear sensors

joke_explainer

A predator drone, but instead of dropping of hellfire missiles, it cargo-drops crates of AK-47s that have tags that say 'DO NOT USE FOR TERRORISM' on them every time

google THIS

a robot that does all of life's difficult and tedious tasks for you but is powered by your ambition to do them yourself

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Peeing robot

BoldFrankensteinMir

A robot that only emulates peeing because it has no physical peeing hardware.

Sig by Heather Papps

joke_explainer

A stealthy robot which picks locks and rolls into people's kitchens in the middle of the night to open their fridges and leave.

Piso Mojado

joke_explainer posted:

A predator drone, but instead of dropping of hellfire missiles, it cargo-drops crates of AK-47s that have tags that say 'DO NOT USE FOR TERRORISM' on them every time

a predator drone that picks off an occasional gazelle

Piso Mojado

that's freaking nuts.

Piso Mojado

jihadist pleasurebots

edit: dibs on that user name

darkarchon

a robot clone of jar jar binks

Senior Management

joke_explainer posted:

A stealthy robot which picks locks and rolls into people's kitchens in the middle of the night to open their fridges and leave.

this but also does not enter wedlock with the fridge first

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

a robot that tells anyone who will listen about its vegan lifestyle

alnilam

darth_pizza posted:

a robot that tells anyone who will listen about its vegan lifestyle

a robot who loudly proclaims to anyone who will listen that it eats extra meat just to stick it to the vegan robots, and thinks this is just the funniest edgiest poo poo in the world

Robot Made of Meat

Robotic Carrot Top.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

A robot who attempts to drop UPS and FedEx packages off at the US Post office every single morning.

Sig by Heather Papps

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
a robot that makes robocalls.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
A robot that makes PeopleCalls

darkarchon

a robot which creates its own civilization and stays the rest of its time at home playing civ 5

Senior Management

A robot who eat's other people's food in the breakroom and messes with the thermostat.

Palpek

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

a robot that's like a human

we already have tons of human, gently caress off

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Rudebots.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU