Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Two seasons in a year??? Mama Ru, you spoil us! :woop:

Previously on RuPaul's Drag Race...

TAKE THAT, DONALD TRUMP! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKPZQOh5WS4

And in the end, the winner was...

Bob the Drag Queen, Long may she reign.

Season 8 was a refreshing change of pace after the previous season, but it was so obvious at the end that Bob ran circles around everyone else. However, we didn't think that she had it in the bag unlike the Bianca year. There was that thought that Kim Chi's story would have put her over the top, but in the end Bob won it and all was right in the world.

Now we get to experience a "real" All-Stars season. Last time they put everyone into pairs to reduce the number of episodes, practically gave it to Chad Michaels (not that I mind), and DIDN'T DO A DOUBLE ELIMINATION OF RAVEN AND JUJUBE AFTER THE LACKLUSTER LSFYL I AM STILL MAD ABOUT THIS AND I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL. :nyd: A full season filled with nine of our favorite queens and Roxxxy Andrews, and some of them are even from other Seasons than 5!

Seriously, I can't wait... especially with the twist of the top two LSFYL-ing for the right to eliminate one of the other queens??? DRAMA!!!!!!!!!

What is RuPaul's Drag Race? I've never watched it.

Well, let me say this:

RuPaul's Drag Race is a competitive reality show where Drag Queens compete in a series of challenges to prove that they have the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent to be crowned the Next Drag Superstar and win a lot of money. Episodes are pretty typical for the format: The girls complete in a mini-challenge that usually gives the winner(s) some kind of advantage, a main challenge which can be anything from building costumes to acting to putting straight men in drag, and finally a runway show. After speaking with the judges a winner is chosen who may or may not gain immunity for the following week. Normally, the queens deemed to be in the Bottom Two battle it out in the Lip Sync... For Your Life! :nyd: but that's different this year because SPOILERS. (I mean I would guess that anyone reading this thread before the first episode already knows the twist, but I can't help holding out in case someone gets a gay gasp out of it.)

I know that it sounds fairly normal, but this show is a joy to watch. The important thing to keep in mind is that these girls are professional Drag Queens. They know how to speak, put on a show, throw shade, and give us the cutting one-liners in the confessionals that we expect. All of them have already been through this before and were brought back because they know how to make the show work. There's still $100K on the line, but for the most part the best thing they get out of the show is exposure. All of these queens are in demand, and being in TV again can only get them more bookings. If they are savvy then they can work this for all it's worth.

We're likely to see the following:
- The Snatch Game, a take off of the classic TV show Match Game
- The Library, whereupon the queens read each other to filth (in a structured format, they do that in an unstructured format all the time)
- Singing challenges
- Group choreography
- Dress construction
- Acting challenges
- Makeup challenges
- Makeovers for non-drag queens
- Hot guys in underwear
- Etc.

RuPaul's Drag Race Untucked shows conversations between the Queens as they await the results of the judging. We don't know if it's back or in what format for All-Stars 2, but I hope it stays around. I've loved the style revamp that the started in Season 7.

On Spoilers

IF YOU ARE A SPOILERPHOBE BE EXTRA CAREFUL THIS SEASON There is a chance that the elimination order has been spoiled up to the Top 3, so if you're like me be very careful with your Google searches. Be doubly careful the day of an episode, as review copies are released into the wild and details begin to spread.

The good thing is that for this show the journey is as or more important than the destination so it's not the end of the world if you get spoiled. Just be aware.

The Judges

RuPaul Charles

The leader of the merry bunch, we thank Ru year after year for coming up with the tasty weekly confection that is RuPaul's Drag Race. What else is there to say?

Okay, let's be real. The winner of the show is picked by Ru. The person who is kicked off each week is picked by Ru. This is Ru's baby. It exists to give glory to Ru and help sell her albums (now on iTunes). You thought it was bad to ignore Tim Gunn? DON'T IGNORE RU.

Michelle Visage

(That picture still is everything forever.)

Every once in a while I remember that Michelle wasn't an original judge on the show and I have to pause and collect my wits. The show started to take off once Michelle replaced Merle. Coincidence?

If Ru is the Mother, then Michelle is the stern Aunt. Michelle wants all of the queens to reach their potential, so she's willing to be harsh but it always comes from a place of live. She's been friends with RuPaul forever, co-hosted with Ru on her VH1 talk show, has been a more than welcome addition to the judging panel since the third season, and is the one who really goes on the road with the queens to help push the brand. She's fabulous.

Carson Kressley

Sure. Why not? We need somoene to disagree with Michelle.

Todrick Hall

Now this is more like it. Todrick has made a living out of putting on larger than life productions (and writing better music than Lucian), so he's a perfect fit for the show. This isn't a "teach the queens" season, this is a "you better work" season so I can't wait to see what he does. Ugh. He's the worst.

The Pit Crew

(Sorry, I still prefer the old pit crew.)

Eye candy, props, set movers... you call them and they'll show up in their skivvies.

Guest Judges

Ross Mathews is back, Graham Norton will take a spin, and others.

Bring on the show!

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

BRING BACK. MY GIRLS.

AGAIN.

In order by Season and Placement, here are the Queens of All-Stars 2!

Season 2

Tatianna - 4th Place - Snatch Game Winner

Season 3
Shangela
Nope. Still no. :colbert:

Season 4
Phi Phi O'Hara - Finalist

Season 5
Alaska Thunderfuck - Finalist

Roxxxy Andrews - Finalist

Detox - 4th Place

Coco Montrese - 5th Place

Alyssa Edwards - 6th Place

Season 6
Adore Delano - Finalist

Season 7
Ginger Minj - Finalist - Snatch Game Winner

Katya - 5th Place - Miss Congeniality

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 25, 2016

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Mom has promised a return of her post-show recaps, so I'm looking forward to some Dada style backstage dish again.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Quinctia posted:

Minor C&P error...

D'oh. So much C&P, I thought I had caught it all. Fixed.

In other news, the Hurricane Bianca trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22WzqqV_H4

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm looking at the first four seasons and there aren't that many queens remaining that I could realistically see being called an All-Star (that would get cast by production) and would do it. They already used a lot of them with the first All-Stars so there's only really Ongina, Morgan McMichaels, and... Jessica Wild? Maybe? They won't cast Willam and Shangela probably wouldn't do it at this point.

I'm more annoyed that Joslyn Fox didn't get a shot.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

FYI - Tonight's episode is being simulcast on VH1, I'll be using that option so I can see it in HD.

e: Next week too, so maybe the entire season?

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 25, 2016

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Nihonniboku posted:

And the fillers...

"Roxxxy Andrews, I think about you every morning... at the bus stop." poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

I died. Officially. drat.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Nicely done, Tatiana!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

OH HELL YES THAT ENDING

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I loved Alaska requesting that everyone choose the elimination based on the Judge Critiques. She had to know that she's elimination target #1 if anyone is being strategic.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Maera Sior posted:

If I haven't been watching the last few seasons, is this batch of queens good enough to start watching again?

This appears to be a solid season, but I would go back and watch Seasons 6 and 8 if you have a chance. Both were excellent.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know it's going to happen.

It had better.

Meanwhile, who knew that Alyssa saying "Barbara, please!" would kill like it did?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I do rugret saying I was happy that Todrick was judging in the OP, I may have to fix that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Yeah, it's a minefield this year. I think that the page that I took the pictures from in the OP had the pictures in elimination order so I while I don't exactly remember the list the first two were dead on.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

We'll need a collection of all the reactions, that's almost my favorite part of the episodes right now...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

caligulamprey posted:

Please keep Carson away from All Stars 2 because him saying the name GINGER MINGE haunts my dreams.

He loves the Minge, you guys.

I already have two names picked out: Cocaine McGillicutty or Jacqueline Off.

Gladys Pantzrof.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Me checking the forums right before going to bed and seeing that there's 25 new posts:

:v:

I'd love to see a Drag King show, but I wouldn't want Ru to do it. There's already enough forced-conformity with the judging, I don't necessarily trust the Ru Crew to handle it properly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

It's less Logo at this point but more can they get it to show on VH1.

I'm in favor of a gay Bachelor series, but then again I'm not watching except for recaps so...

e: I'd also watch a Drag View, but that would require World of Wonder to spend money.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Now that's what I want from an All-Stars performance. They'll have to be really picky to choose a bottom 3 at this point.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I don't know if I'm happy with Alyssa in the Top 2, but I don't know who I would switch with her.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Pellisworth posted:

It was really weird and maybe unprecedented for Ru to assign all the parts like that.

I thought it was obvious that everyone knew the character that they were going to play before they arrived. Who carries their friend's grandmother's wedding dress around in their luggage day-to-day?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

angerbeet posted:

RuPaul won an Emmy :toot:

Holy poo poo. Good for her, well deserved.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

spite house posted:

I don't understand why Big Freedia can't be on every show all the time.

FTFY.

I feel for Phi Phi but... gurl. 5Gs.

e: Oh, and there's a new Alaska video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhJkW7hU1jk

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 17, 2016

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Apparently, Logo isn't letting VH1 simulcast this weeks episode because they know everyone will want to watch it. I can understand it for the ratings, but WHY ARE YOU DEPRIVING ME OF BEAUTIFUL HD LOGO?????

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm going to watch tonight in SD, but I'm not happy about it...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Porkchop was not amused.

I was just going to mention that. :stare: out of nowhere :laffo:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I was hoping that Tatianna would stay, especially after that LSFYL. I'm so glad that they both get to hang out some more.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm glad Phi Phi is out of that pressure cooker, I want to give her a hug.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

big black turnout posted:

Did some people really not like Alaska/Alyssa's comedy routine? I thought it was really good. It played to both their strengths and gave Alyssa the focus without Alaska fading into the background imo

I thought it was funny, but it wasn't a polished routine like Tatianna/Detox. I wanted to grab Alyssa by the shoulders and turn her from a profile.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Found it! Thank you, tumblr!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I want some Alyssa Go Go Juice...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

If Tati goes after that runway...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

ALASKA YOU C*NT

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

E: that was a strategic elimination

DON'T LET THE FLAG TOUCH THE GROUND!!!!!!!!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(And yeah. It has to be. I wouldn't be surprised if Katya threw it either.)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'll just leave this here, from Willam's Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLAM_PSj4lL/

I don't have a problem with how Alaksa is playing the game, I just wish she would own up to it. "Roxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxy loaned me this shirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt" doesn't cut it. If we get that in a confessional next week I'll be happier.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

AND NOW THE DRAMA BEGINS

e: :stare:

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 7, 2016

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

#TeamKatya

e: Was this the end of the Spoiler?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

That is awesome!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Watrick posted:

That dance number they did was everything. I wish Alyssa was in it though, she would have killed it.

True, I'll have to settle for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRiTEA65h28

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Happy Willam's book day!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I was reading it on my phone on the train and... Penis. Yeah, I think that's a bad idea.

• Locked thread