Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'is this the president of basketball'

'uh sure, yea'

I kinda love this because now I don't know of 'prez' is the new 'freq' for our game given nickname to make dialogue easier to record or if this was the first time anyone ever called the character that and he's just like 'yea sure let's see what happens'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now I'm hoping that they just went off the deep end and admitting that it's a Sports RPG means it's actually an alternate sci-fi universe where political action is decided through sick dunks and you just won the 2016 election. Team USA is actually the name for the greatest military force the world has ever seen

I just really want them to make My Career just bonkers. Keep everything else simulationist and all because that's also fun but yea if we're gonna seriously be saying the words 'sports RPG' I want some anime bullshit then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea this poo poo all sounds good, that myplayer stuff sounds like it could be a huge jump ahead too.

As much as I joked about 'Sports RPG', stuff like a buddy played by Michael B. Jordan who's functionally an assist character and you have poo poo like more dynamic sounding endorsement systems sounds like exactly what a thing like myplayer needed.

also your mycourt thing not being this weird basketball pocket dimension and actually being a place that gets interacted with and all is nice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As corny as it was the little live action intro was miles better than last year's.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So is there no way to start a different character at all? I sucked rear end thanks to being rusty as all hell, and don't think playing a defensive dude was all that fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hopterque posted:

You can start a new guy when the full game is out of course just like always but yeah the 'prelude' was a one time thing.

yea I'll just do that then I guess! Still it was a fun experience, makes me want more even if I sucked which is probably a good omen.

And yea the college ball stuff was pretty much perfect demo fodder.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea just to be clear as a defender I felt like the actual defending mechanics were fine, I just am not good at them and not a super fan of that playstyle as the main focus, usually it's my secondary or something. If you like defence don't worry you'll be fine, I just hosed up for how I like to play.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dexo posted:

To be fair if someone doesn't want to be in the game they kinda can't put them in the game once they retire.

Yea they also have that problem with another notable gap in the roster

It sucks, and it kinda makes it a 'well why even bother' thing, but you can't exactly press gang a guy into being in your game.

Also, game is good, made my dude a Glass Cleaner Center instead of what he was before and I'm loving it a lot more, also I'm a huge douchebag in a steampunk hat so that's funny.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 16, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the guys have pretty tight ability to be all 'ok this is clearly MEANT to be me' and honestly I don't see that as a bad thing in the big picture. It sucks as a gamer, obviously, but I think it's a net good that you can't just use a guy's image and brand, or make some serial number filed off version of "Washeed Rallace" or something. If the guy doesn't want to be in the game that should be the end of it.

Though that does lead to the question of 'so why put that team in at all rather than focusing on getting some other ones', but that's a different issue.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dexo posted:

Because they offer a system that allows you to download custom rosters and changes.

Wait like a week and someone will have all of those players added with realistic stats.

oh right, forgot that. Yea fair enough.

Man I'm really impressed with career mode this year. The expanded schedule is good to let you do more than one thing in a day, stuff like 'different times at the gym may have different people' is a neat idea, the sponsors/friends stuff feels better planned, everything's been improved, pretty much.

Also the story is better, it's still kinda stiff and has the whole 'they're acting like I'm basically basketball Jesus when I'm starting at 55' dissonance at times, but at least this time people talk like actual human beings for the most part and they actually try to introduce characters and have organic feeling relationships rather than "THIS IS YOUR GIRLFRIEND YOU CARE ABOUT HER AND SHE HAS OPINIONS ABOUT YOUR CHOICES (you get to make no choices, nothing matters)".

Also I love the texts system if only because there's almost always an option of 'either talk like a normal person or send like five emojis in a row' and I love sending Coach K just an emoji of flexing

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 17, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man that GM mode story stuff seems neat I hope it's not like past My Career stuff where it winds up fizzling after a bit, it feels like GM mode should have a lot more venues for story stuff to come up and be interesting. I never knew how much I was into GM story mode until just now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm Jimmy Two-Kay and I'm here to say, we've fixed defense in a major way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CVagts posted:

I almost preordered 2K18 a little while ago until I remembered that EA is giving Live 18 another go. I'll wait until they come out and see which one shakes out to be better.

Same, Live demo drops sometime early this month so I'm gonna see if that feels better. There's a lot of promising hype but, ya know, hype. 2k REALLY needs a 'rival' in NBA games so even if Live isn't perfect I hope it's at least good enough and well reviewed enough to put them on their toes.

• Locked thread