Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Jim Barris posted:

The Witcher 3 is so good that it makes other RPGs look like some amateur hour

Yeah, they did it on like a fraction of the budget of other AAA titles too. Sucks none of the other publishers noticed and continue to release 20 hour collectathon trash that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make.

Cyberpunk will be here one day though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Witcher 3 is the only game that managed to make every single motherfucking side-quest interesting.
I swear to god I haven't found a single lovely quest that didn't have at least one small but interesting twist.

It puts all other RPGs to loving shame fo sho.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Where are you rootling, rootler?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Joshy Bear posted:

Played this for a bit, the Witcher guy turned like an articulated lorry when you needed to move around, and the writing was so 'mature' and 'edgy' that I was a bit embarrassed to be playing it. This is my Witcher 3 story, it sounds like most other people enjoyed it though, maybe I'm an idiot.

thanks for stopping me buying the game

Sylvia Plathetic
Nov 15, 2009
I mean the writing was probably better than average for a video game, but that's like saying "it tasted better than average - for garbage", the moral of the story is that you should no more play video games for their narrative than you should eat garbage.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Its up there with red dead and gta:sa for me. Very compelling game.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Joshy Bear posted:

Played this for a bit, the Witcher guy turned like an articulated lorry when you needed to move around, and the writing was so 'mature' and 'edgy' that I was a bit embarrassed to be playing it. This is my Witcher 3 story, it sounds like most other people enjoyed it though, maybe I'm an idiot.

They changed the movement style in a patch to be more responsive at the cost of realism.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

game owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-fDIgiVlQ

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Flarpy posted:

They changed the movement style in a patch to be more responsive at the cost of realism.

yeah, use the new movement in the options.

it's still bad though

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Game is good and fun.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

the great deceiver posted:

i killed a spooky old ghost by the ol watering hole now im gonna run around this field and pick flowers

by the way, you only need to pick a couple of each flower. You'd think you need one per potion, but no, it's just one ever.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Zorodius posted:

by the way, you only need to pick a couple of each flower. You'd think you need one per potion, but no, it's just one ever.

it's weird and while they were abstracting that they could have abstracted out the need to collect booze endlessly for refills. just give us a new set of potions every day or whatever

it's still good, looking forward to trying out the expansions

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's weird and while they were abstracting that they could have abstracted out the need to collect booze endlessly for refills. just give us a new set of potions every day or whatever

The expansions are really good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Witcher board game is pretty good as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsVs1tFs4uo

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

on harder modes, meditating doesn't restore health.

... but it does restore potions. Which restore health.

:confused:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Joshy Bear posted:

Also gently caress games where you die to some bullshit and the last autosave was half an hour ago.

Pssh, what kind of scrub doesn't hammer F5 anyway? It's your fault, not the games.

I liked Witcher 1, Witcher 2 was great, I've put 500 hours into Witcher 3.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
realtalk that bit where geralt gets drunk with his two witcher buddies in witcher 3 is probably the funniest thing i've ever seen in a videogame. the writers, animators and voice actors are all clearly familiar with being gently caress drunk and talking poo poo.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Neurosis posted:

realtalk that bit where geralt gets drunk with his two witcher buddies in witcher 3 is probably the funniest thing i've ever seen in a videogame. the writers, animators and voice actors are all clearly familiar with being gently caress drunk and talking poo poo.

Yeah that whole scene was pretty damned funny for a computer game.

LET'S PRANK CALL SOME ELVES

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moridin920 posted:

wtf were you doing for 25 hours

I was going through the story with the Baron and the apothecary and the witch that wanted to bang you and at some point realized I didn't care about any of this stuff and just kinda stopped.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Witcher 3 might be the best game ever made??? It sucked up all my free time for like almost two months until I'd done everything there is to do in the game.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I liked Gunter O'Dimm, it was like having Magic Man as your enemy.

He was my friend because I hated Olgierd and I was willing to consider all the innocent lives Gaunter ruined as collateral damage in my war against him and his Undercut Brigade.

Neurosis posted:

Lambert suggesting to steal Yennefer's advanced sorcery apparatuses to summon sorceress to party with and Geralt responding by slurring "Laaaambeeeert..... You're a geeeeeniuuuuuus..." made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe. The voice actor loving nailed that line.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 27, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
YEESS! SUMMON THE BITCHES!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
witcher? I hardly knew her!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fojar38 posted:

well the witcher 2 was really badly optimized (polish coding lol) but i think that what always stopped me was that it felt like it was written by a 14 year old

everyone said gently caress all the time for no reason while lovely metal played and my awesome half-man half-vampire guy kicked everyones asses and hosed women

this was all in like the first half hour of the game

get out

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Witcher 1 was straight loving awful though. I played through it because a friend was nagging me (we're not friends anymore) and it was one of the worst games ever made. If you like it you should be ashamed of yourself and I think you owe an apology to the very next person you meet.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

witcher 3 combat is only bad if you like memorised the 3 or 4 or whatever sets combat controls that every game copy pastes, and are somehow completely incapable of learning how anything new handles

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I never did make any of the custom armor sets beyond the initial ones.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked the combat when it was dangerous and you had to prepare for fights and keep an eye on all the enemies and perfectly time your dodges and quick steps and parries and wait patiently for openings to attack and stuff. I feel like in the base game you end up leveling to a point where you're too strong to have to do that though and you just end up mashing the attack buttons and maybe rolling away from the strongest attacks. Probably my favorite thing about the expansions was that they brought that difficulty back.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Lamer posted:

I have been playing for like 40 hours

when does geraldo rivera show up

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

His necklace vibrates around young women

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The witcher games are fun but I hate Geralt's character. He's smarter than everyone, fucks more than everyone, kills people and gets away with it, and meanwhile everyone else in this dumpster of a world looks like they're covered in filth and are hideous and run up to Geralt going "please help milord I've done been touched by trolls." Then Geralt kills the trolls and fucks some more. I hate him!!!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I like that you can play Magic Cards where the best card in the game is yourself.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

gigawhite posted:

The witcher games are fun but I hate Geralt's character. He's smarter than everyone, fucks more than everyone, kills people and gets away with it, and meanwhile everyone else in this dumpster of a world looks like they're covered in filth and are hideous and run up to Geralt going "please help milord I've done been touched by trolls." Then Geralt kills the trolls and fucks some more. I hate him!!!

he suffers a heavy burden. He must endure a life of superpowers, and not even his chiseled handsomeness can hide how badass his snow-white hair is.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Geralt's cool, I like playing as him.

Ciri's cooler. Ciri's basically the best.

But actually everybody is the best.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I like that you can play Magic Cards where the best card in the game is yourself.

For real gwent is the best part of the game even if the actual card game part is kind of lame. I'd kill for a modern ccg game where you wander around beating up npcs and taking their cards

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like the really angry witcher guy

he speaks to me somehow

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

gigawhite posted:

If you play the game badly he looks pretty stupid. Also he is impotent.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I never did make any of the custom armor sets beyond the initial ones.

i found this to be one of the most enjoyable partsof the game so if i were you i'd definitely just pick the one you think looks coolest or fits the skill build you want to try out next time and go craft it all the way to grandmaster or w/e

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

notZaar posted:

If you play the game badly he looks pretty stupid. Also he is impotent.

Other the other difference to more standard RPGs is most of the quests have complex decisions and no happy endings for the parties involved.

It's a depressing bleak setting that only slavs could have dreamed up.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked light armor because it was all like padded shirts striped in really garish bright colors and patterns. It's a cool aesthetic especially when every other historically-themed media seems to think that colors other than brown and dark green weren't invented until the 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I liked light armor because it was all like padded shirts striped in really garish bright colors and patterns. It's a cool aesthetic especially when every other historically-themed media seems to think that colors other than brown and dark green weren't invented until the 20th century.

interestingly a lot of plate armour isn't silver either, just the colour shave worn off over time.

• Locked thread