Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Lately I have been on a video game novel reading kick, so I have read a few and recently just bought a few more. So far I have read Deus Ex: Icarus Effect, Bioshock: Rapture, and Halo: Fall of Reach. Most of them have been surprisingly pretty good and engaging. One of them even got a direct video game sequel made out of it, even it was lovely.

The best of the bunch is easily Bioshock: Rapture. Takes place shortly before the first game and kind of talks about life in Rapture before it fell apart. Some very good characterizations that covers both Bioshock 1 and 2, although Bioshock 1 takes the forefront. If I were to say that any of them were worth reading it is this one.

The worst for me was Halo: Fall of Reach. It's odd because it is the one that I see a lot of people recommending. But then again, I also think it was one of the first out there that were decently written. But for me, it feels like fanfiction about how awesome Master Chief is. Adding to that, I was kind of disappointed that the actual Fall of Reach was covered so quickly. By the time I felt that it started, it was already over. I will admit that I am kind of biased because after playing Halo: Reach, that is closer to what I expected the book to be.

In the middle was Deus Ex: Icarus Effect which introduces the villains of Human Revolution and talks about them in more detail. Pretty straightforward book, but it did actually get a direct sequel in Deus Ex: The Fall which apparently is a lovely mobile game that was for some reason released on PC as well. I don't know what else to say about this book other than its solid

Books I have on the backburner to read:

Killzone: Ascendency
Deus Ex: Black Light
Some of the Splinter Cell novels

Any other recommendations from goons?

Edit: Also, how could I forget! I also read Metro: 2033 but that is a case of a video game based off of a book and not the other way around. Definitely worth a read if you like the video game. Although it is miles different in tone since in the book, Artyom is basically a wimp.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Southern Comfort holds up decently well in the terrifying world of video game novels, only because it doesn't try anything too ambitious or out of line. It's a good coffee-break read if you enjoy the game universe. Don't expect narrative mastery, forgive popular in-game NPC quotes the novel sometimes shoves in, and its a fun distraction.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I love the resident evil novels

they're so god damned awful

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

tithin posted:

Even City of the Dead? I heard that one was actually pretty decent.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Metal Gear Solid and Doom novels have yet to be topped for awful for me.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

blackguy32 posted:

Even City of the Dead? I heard that one was actually pretty decent.

Insofar as the author stuck somewhat to the script of the game, yeah, but it still had a lot of his own wishlist in there, a few of his own characters, and his own scenario in it - the later ones disconnected from the games almost entirely

I mean don't get me wrong, they're trash, but at least they were entertaining trash

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plan Z posted:

i love the doom novel where it turns out the real power to resist demons resided in the mormon church

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

I think I still have copy of Baldur's gate novelization somewhere, I bought it out of curiosity from stand in some random airport or train station.

It is really really really bad.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Endorph posted:

i love the doom novel where it turns out the real power to resist demons resided in the mormon church

I mean yeah, I'll throw away family photos before I throw away my Doom novels but still

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

Wait, what?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doom guy gets back to earth and finds it's overrun by demons and the last remaining bastion of human resistance is holed up in a mormon church, and doom guy starts reading the book of mormon and is like 'you know... this makes a lot of sense!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I read the first Dragon Age novel because I wanted to read some generic fantasy, and that's exactly what it is. I wouldn't recommend it, but it wasn't terrible. And if you've played the game it has the advantage of not needing to explain the backstory or do any tedious world-building.

Plan Z posted:

The Doom novels are worth reading just for how weird they are. Not worth paying money for, but if you see them in an op shop or something, well, they're probably worth the 50¢.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

doom guy gets back to earth and finds it's overrun by demons and the last remaining bastion of human resistance is holed up in a mormon church, and doom guy starts reading the book of mormon and is like 'you know... this makes a lot of sense!"

lol. Thanks for the info.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I remember reading the novel for Rise of The Robots at one time.

Yes, THAT Rise of the Robots.

Wouldn't say I'd 'recommend' it. I remember it went a lot into the mental state of the main character, the Cyborg. I remember it as weird, but readable. Then again, this is over a 15+ year gap, so maybe I don't remember clearly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bloodly posted:

I remember reading the novel for Rise of The Robots at one time.

Yes, THAT Rise of the Robots.

Wouldn't say I'd 'recommend' it. I remember it went a lot into the mental state of the main character, the Cyborg. I remember it as weird, but readable. Then again, this is over a 15+ year gap, so maybe I don't remember clearly.

I never realized Rise of the Robots was popular enough to even warrant a novel. What a lovely fighting game. That being said, fighting games seem perfect to write stuff about considering what little backstory most of them have.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
With Legion on the horizon I'm on a Warcraft bent and have been tempted to read some of the novella it's generated, but talk about a minefield. Anyone able to suggest any that are halfway decent for what they are, or are they all trashy Mary-Sue shartybooks?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Songbearer posted:

With Legion on the horizon I'm on a Warcraft bent and have been tempted to read some of the novella it's generated, but talk about a minefield. Anyone able to suggest any that are halfway decent for what they are, or are they all trashy Mary-Sue shartybooks?
christie golden's thrall books - rise of the horde and lord of the clans - are okay pulp fantasy. everything else is middling, with the more recent stuff generally being worse. mostly, you want to avoid richard knaak, who writes like a 13 year old on gaia online

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The Myst books were good at outlining details for why the weird poo poo in Myst etc. actually existed.

My favorite scene is the one where a kid and his dad are exploring the ancient civilization, and come across a door you have to open by lining up gems that represent the planets in the sky at a certain time, and the kid wants to solve the puzzle but the dad just picks up a big rock and smashes it open, and pulls the little wires inside to open the door. :allears:

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I had this in 4th grade and read the fuuuuck out of it. Pretty sure I got it from one of those mail order kids book newsletter things we got every month at school.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

blackguy32 posted:

I never realized Rise of the Robots was popular enough to even warrant a novel. What a lovely fighting game. That being said, fighting games seem perfect to write stuff about considering what little backstory most of them have.

Rise of the Robots was a massive piece of poo poo and one of the games I got with the second hand snes I got for a birthday like 17 years ago or something. However I'm pretty sure the people making it thought it was going to a massive franchise and there was a hell of a lot of dumb story in the game that a novel doesn't surprise me. I sort of want to read it.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

tithin posted:

Insofar as the author stuck somewhat to the script of the game, yeah, but it still had a lot of his own wishlist in there, a few of his own characters, and his own scenario in it - the later ones disconnected from the games almost entirely

I mean don't get me wrong, they're trash, but at least they were entertaining trash

Is it worth noting that S.D. Perry is a woman? The Resident Evil novels are the only game books I've read, and really the only decent ones were the ones based on the games. Her side stories, or really any moment involving Trent, are awful. As far as I remember, he was just a mysterious info dump for STARS members and the reader.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I always liked game manuals that had long story entries in them because it gave me something to read on the bus ride back or on the terlit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

borf posted:

I had this in 4th grade and read the fuuuuck out of it. Pretty sure I got it from one of those mail order kids book newsletter things we got every month at school.

:yeah:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I've started reading Deus Ex: Black Light, and it's good so far. If you liked Deus Ex 1, you'll really enjoy it, since now we're being introduced to the Illuminati from DX1.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Plan Z posted:

the metal gear novel is loving hilarious. its basicaly the game transcribed into book form but with way more death and lovely lovely punchlines.

https://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Rapture-John-Shirley/dp/0765367351/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472341168&sr=1-1&keywords=bioshock

i honestly sorta recomend this one. its basicaly follows one of my favorite ancillary character, Bill McDonagh (the dude who is basically Andrew Ryan's Davos Seaworth) and his whole time in rapture. it all takes place in the time leading up to bioshock 1. it came out after 2 so it weaves bioshock 2 characters in well enough. overall its ok, it adds some decent fluff as well as some dumbshit. overall if you love 1 and 2, read it sometime.

CowboyAndy posted:

I've started reading Deus Ex: Black Light, and it's good so far. If you liked Deus Ex 1, you'll really enjoy it, since now we're being introduced to the Illuminati from DX1.

nice, i may have to read this now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It has been a while but with Cyan just releasing a new game, I think now is a good time to remind everyone that the Myst series of games had a series of great books to go along with them

Bad News Panda
Aug 17, 2010

:gaysper:
Kirby says trans rights!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Witcher novels? I've been debating whether to pick one up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Since those started out as books and then became games later, they're generally regarded as pretty good rather than just being cash-grab tie-ins. I have not read them, but the people I know who have say they're pretty good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad News Panda posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Witcher novels? I've been debating whether to pick one up.
The translation quality varies but they're pretty solid and nothing in the two I read seemed that terribly translated, just occasionally stiff. And I don't know how much of that is the author. If you like the games, you'll definitely like the novels.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Brian Evenson wrote two Dead Space prequels, Dead Space: Martyr and Dead Space: Catalyst. He's gotta be one of the authors with the most literary cred to write tie-in novels. I haven't read Catalyst yet but Martyr was a good horror novel that doesn't require any sort of knowledge about the games.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 28, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

tithin posted:

I will always remember the one where the character facing a typical "do this, do that, twist this" puzzle to get at an item simply thinks "gently caress this noise" and smashes the cabinet with her gun.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

StoneOfShame posted:

Rise of the Robots was a massive piece of poo poo and one of the games I got with the second hand snes I got for a birthday like 17 years ago or something. However I'm pretty sure the people making it thought it was going to a massive franchise and there was a hell of a lot of dumb story in the game that a novel doesn't surprise me. I sort of want to read it.

Yeah, it's less that the game was popular in any sense, and more that they dumped a poo poo-ton of money into marketing the game; the novel was likely a result of that.

504 posted:

I will always remember the one where the character facing a typical "do this, do that, twist this" puzzle to get at an item simply thinks "gently caress this noise" and smashes the cabinet with her gun.

That actually owns, maybe I should read those books.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mr. Glum posted:

Is it worth noting that S.D. Perry is a woman? The Resident Evil novels are the only game books I've read, and really the only decent ones were the ones based on the games. Her side stories, or really any moment involving Trent, are awful. As far as I remember, he was just a mysterious info dump for STARS members and the reader.

Not hugely? It certainly wouldn't change my opinion on them (see; awful, but pretty entertaining)

Though it does make me wonder why she was obsessed with Rebecca Chambers, I put it down to the author having a crush on the character. Which may still be the case, I dunno.

504 posted:

See; awful, but entertaining ;)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Lucky Wander Boy is fun.

Must emphasize the importance of hammer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

borf posted:

Came to talk about this series of books. That one in particular is interesting because the super obscure PSX Blaster Master game that came out at the very end of the system's lifecycle and went straight to bargain bins is an active sequel to the book's story, with the main characters being the children of the ones in the book.

The Books of Power volume for Castlevania 2 was crazy as hell, being about a kid who gets sucked into the game Captain N style and he and Simon go around fighting manifestations of the seven deadly sins. The kid also has a weakness for Godiva Chocolate.

The Ninja Gaiden book might have been the dopest thing I read that whole school year. It pretty much follows the game's story accurately.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Peter Watts did a Crysis tie in novel. I've never read it but the idea fascinates me.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

Peter Watts did a Crysis tie in novel. I've never read it but the idea fascinates me.

Now I want to find a digital copy of this just to do a word count on the word "maximum".

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm a big fan of the Crysis series, so it might be a biased opinion, but I think it's really good. Watts has some neat extra tidbits on the suit and on the Ceph, fleshing out the uhh, mythology pretty well.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Peter Telep wrote a trilogy based on the Descent games. They were fun if also trashy as gently caress. Decidedly a lot like Descent 3's attempt at plot and characters forced into the first two games.

Posting mobile at the moment, but I can say I remember the main character being pretty awful as a person. His idea of introductions to women usually involves asking them if they want to have sex. Which of course almost always works, ends up getting at least one secretary fired, and I think another brainwashed by her evil boss, who is also a rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jim DiGriz posted:

I'm a big fan of the Crysis series, so it might be a biased opinion, but I think it's really good. Watts has some neat extra tidbits on the suit and on the Ceph, fleshing out the uhh, mythology pretty well.

This. It's actually a pretty good book and explains stuff the game may have skimmed over or skipped. Like stuff about the ceph and that CELl.

• Locked thread