Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIhbkrdsDKU

Release date: 13 September NA, 15 September EU
:siren: Demo out now on PS4/XBone :siren:

Welp, this year's installment of the soccer game nobody plays is just around the corner. Quite a few changes this year, some big and some small. Let's get started.

Game will be out on PS4, XBone, PS3, XB360, and PC. PC will once again be a port of the last-gen version, unfortunately. Same gameplay but it'll be ugly.

Licenses
The big news is that PS4 option files will be fully shareable this year via USB. This means that within a few weeks of release you'll be able to update your game with accurate league/team/player names, faces, uniforms, logos, etc. This is wonderful, since PES has even fewer licenses than usual this year. Xbox players appear to be out of luck though.

The big licensed teams this year are Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Borussia Dortmund. There's also a shitload of licensed teams and leagues from South America. The big loss from last year is La Liga, due to FIFA exclusivity, as well as Juventus and Bayern Munich. But, as long as you're on PS4/PC, none if this will really be an issue once community option files become available. Barcelona has the big cover deal, with a detailed Camp Nou in the game and playable Barcelona legends like Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Puyol, and Luis Enrique.

Modes
MyClub seems to be basically the same as last year, with the big difference being that you can aim to sign specific players if you collect the right Scout cards. I don't really play MyClub, seems like a pointless grind to me and I don't like not being able to play around with tactics and formations.

Master League has a bunch of improvements. There are 12 new team roles, bringing the total to 22. Players can also be trained to play new positions and learn specific skills. Apparently matches will also be scheduled in a more realistic way, and the negotiation system has been tweaked, with the last day of the transfer window being played out hour-by-hour.

Tactics
The tactics system is similar to 15/16, but with a few big and exciting changes. You're still choosing Possession/Counter, Center/Wide, Short/Long, Maintain/Flexible, and Support Range 1-10 on offense, and Frontline Pressure/All-Out Defense, Center/Wide, Aggressive Conservative, Def Line 1-10, and Compactness 1-10 on defense. The rather confusing "numbers in attack/defense" settings are gone, in exchange for a return to the "mentality" system from older PES games. Basically you have 5 levels, and during the game you can double tap up or down on the D-pad to make your team more or less attacking -- it's intuitive and works well in the demo. Flexible formations also make a return.

The major change to the tactics system is the introduction of "Advanced Instructions". You can set up to 2 attacking and 2 defensive instructions, which you can activate or deactivate during the game with L2 + d-pad. These have a huge impact on how your team plays, much more than changing individual tactical settings and sliders. They're not all available to use in the demo, but in the full game you'll have the following:
Offensive Instructions -- Hug the Sideline, Attacking Fullbacks, Wing Rotation, Tiki-Taka, False No. 9, Centering Targets, False Fullbacks
Defensive Instructions -- Tight Marking, Deep Defensive Line, Swarm the Box, Counter Target, Gegenpress

Gameplay
This is what really matters, after all. I'll post my impressions from the demo.
  • Controls-wise, there's nothing new compared to 2016.
  • Defense is massively improved, both for tracking players off the ball and making challenges. Going 1-on-1 is a lot more difficult and through balls are more likely to be intercepted.
  • Passing is less accurate, with a bigger discrepancy between players with good passing stats (and cards like Low Lofted Pass) and those who don't.
  • Keepers are much, much, much better, both in protecting the net and recovering after making a diving save. Very noticeable difference from last year, and something that Konami has been talking about being a major focus for this year's game.
  • More fouls from contact, and not only from sliding tackles. The AI fouls more often, and the game ref is more intelligent about playing advantage after a foul.
  • Overall, the game is slower-paced and lower-scoring than last year.

So, yeah, the game is a lot of fun and worth giving a shot if FIFA is too arcadey for you, or you just want to try something different. I'll do my best to update the OP with a tactical tutorial like I did last year once the full game is out.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Reserved.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Reserved.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

In the meantime, I've been scoring some cool goals in the demo :toot: All on Superstar difficulty.

Alexis doing Alexis things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8DnoebqJ_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3zIpHU0VZk

Müller Müllering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axTHx3fyq8M

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 31, 2016

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm going to get this like I get it e every year. I don't have a console so I haven't played the demo.

I miss the classic players from earlier eras like Cruyff etc.

Isn't it the case that every new game in the series "feels" slower paced and lower scoring but it's just because you haven't had time to get used to it yet?

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 4, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I'm going to get this like I get it e every year. I don't have a console so I haven't played the demo.

I miss the classic players from earlier eras like Cruyff etc.

Isn't it the case that every new game in the series "feels" slower paced and lower scoring but it's just because you haven't had time to get used to it yet?

Last year was really fast-paced (though scoring was harder than in 2015). They actually slowed the game down significantly through balance patches after release.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I got into 2016 a couple months ago (somehow found a used copy of the UEFA 2016 version for cheaper than a used WE 2016...yeah Japanese used shops can be weird sometimes) and it really has that good old WE feeling back. Tried the demo, it's kinda tough but feels really good - similar to 2016 but with a bit more bobbles and lack of sheer pinpoint capability, if that makes any sense.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Do they still make an alternate version of WE with Japanese club sides? I remember my brothers bought a load of bootleg games in Thailand in the early 2000s and among them was a J-league focused game with the same engine as Pro Evo 1 or whatever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Do they still make an alternate version of WE with Japanese club sides? I remember my brothers bought a load of bootleg games in Thailand in the early 2000s and among them was a J-league focused game with the same engine as Pro Evo 1 or whatever.

Nope. I think there may have been one on PS3, but the special editions were more World Cup focused with the national team.

J-League is going to be in FIFA this year too. My how the mighty have fallen.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This comes out the day after I submit my dissertation. Yaaaas

I hope the PC graphics aren't lovely again...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I'm really liking Advanced Shooting this year.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Game unlocks in 8 hours :f5:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's out on the 15th here uuuugh

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just got it and I'm struggling to find a camera setting I like. Blimp and Fan View seem just a little too far back whilst all the other ones are far too zoomed in to be useful. What's the general consensus?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Lemon posted:

Just got it and I'm struggling to find a camera setting I like. Blimp and Fan View seem just a little too far back whilst all the other ones are far too zoomed in to be useful. What's the general consensus?

I'm fine with the default camera, but you can also adjust the zoom and angle within each camera setting by moving the individual sliders.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

By the way, the PESUniverse option file for PS4 is out, and it's pretty great.

http://www.pesuniverse.com/ps4-option-file-v1-free/

Make sure you follow the install instructions closely, and also watch the install video for a few other things like how to make sure the Bundesliga players get imported.

sedaps
Jan 29, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

This comes out the day after I submit my dissertation. Yaaaas

I hope the PC graphics aren't lovely again...

So did you get the PC version? From what I hear the PC version is using the PS3 graphics... so yes, lovely again

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They're bad. It does play differently, I think, but the graphics aren't much better - maybe the faces are a little improved.

Weird stuff like how 2016 wouldn't show intros before matches has been fixed though.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I forgot how furious Master League makes me.

I haven't played PES in years though and there's a couple of things I can't figure out. Is there an equivalent to the ball-shielding mechanic in FIFA? It seems that if I get the ball with my back to another player they can just come right through me and get it every time and I can't hold them off. Also, what the gently caress is the heatmap overlay all about when picking the team?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Played the demo and yet again the game seems totally on the rails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Lemon posted:

I forgot how furious Master League makes me.

I haven't played PES in years though and there's a couple of things I can't figure out. Is there an equivalent to the ball-shielding mechanic in FIFA? It seems that if I get the ball with my back to another player they can just come right through me and get it every time and I can't hold them off. Also, what the gently caress is the heatmap overlay all about when picking the team?

The heat map thing is Team Spirit. It's gonna be low when you start and your team will play and control horribly until they start to cohere by playing together over a number of games. A lot of games this year, actually, unless you have a bunch of team roles that give it a boost. Exhibition mode is basically what the game is like when both teams are at 90+ team spirit.

You can shield the ball by dribbling in the opposite direction of the defender and having high physical stats, it's automatic. R2 allows you to stop the ball and face the opposition goal as well.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread