Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I have an 840 Evo, and according to Samsung magician is only had 15tb written over its entire life since 2014.

I love this drive.

But recently, my windows 10 installation started getting hundreds of errors in the event viewer (dcom mostly for some reason) every day, and the 391 nvidia driver just mangled my system and my computer started randomly restarting several times an hour. I tried several rollbacks but nothing worked. No problem, I figured I'll just reformat it.

I had a friend help me reformat the 840,and during the win 10 clean install it still showed the rolled back nvidia driver as existing. We formatted the drive, so this was more than confusing. After another format from the win 10 USB bootable, we were still seeing the previous nvidia drives (as well as three random other ones that weren't gpu related).

Long story short my friend takes my 840 and reformats it on another computer.. And somehow turns this thing Raw. Even after writing a new volume, this thing will not show up outside of disk manager.

How hosed is this drive? Is it salvageable or does it sound like it was on its way out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Yeah it's confusing that stuff appeared to persist post format, but that's an extraordinarily unlikely side effect of a failing SSD, so more likely explanations are along the lines of 'your friend didn't really format the thing and the install wasn't truly clean'.

What does "turns this thing Raw" mean? And are you really sure your friend knows what they're doing? Showing up in disk manager, but not elsewhere, could just mean your friend managed to erase the partition structure (or whatever) without properly setting up new.

Instead of freaking out about things which don't really (imo) seem to be symptoms of a failing disk, get direct information: download Samsung's Magician and use it to report the SSD's health. Alternatively, you could use some other SMART based tool (like Crystal DiskInfo), but Magician's the best choice for a Samsung SSD.

If Magician gives the drive the green light, get a new computer toucher friend who knows how to cleanly reformat a disk.

We let the windows installation perform the format twice, and after we saw the drives persist after the second reformat, that's when he offered to format the drive.

By Raw I mean it's a completely unallocated disk now. After some research on how to do this poo poo, I bought a USB/sata connector and plugged it into a family members computer, opened disk manager, and created a new volume. The drive has a GPT partition and it's nfts as well with 232gb available. In disk management it shows a 450mb recovery partition, a 100mb efi system partition, and then a 232gb primary partition.
Windows says it's healthy, but when I plug it in to my computer to perform a clean install of windows 10 it can't be detected.

I bought an 860 Evo yesterday out of frustration and out of the box it couldn't be detected either. I popped it in to the other computer and it was also raw, so I did the above steps again.

I installed magician as well, and it can't see the 860 or the 840 so I can't run any checks. Maybe it's due to the usb/sata connector. I've no idea.

Any idiot proof programs I can use to do this poo poo?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

On my computer I do a direct install.
On my family pc I use the USB.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I'm deathly afraid it's the mobo now. I have a wd red 3tb that was showing up in the drive list, so I guess I'll try that cable with the ssd. Push comes to show I'll buy a few new from monoprice to keep on hand.