Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have a ~5 year old SSD in my desktop, it's a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch.

I've noticed that the machine is very slow to launch games. E.g., 1+ min to launch Vermintide 2, TF2, Nuclear Throne, etc. - so, old titles, new ones, big ones, small ones. I use this machine almost exclusively for gaming, so I can't compare to non-game programs other than Chrome. (Chrome loads fast.)

I believe it was significantly faster in the past. The issue crept up on me, it's not the case that over night the loads became super slow.

I don't know how to diagnose the problem, but I am confident the titles should load much faster.

1.) How do you recommend I diagnose the issue?
2.) (Related) How do you recommend I determine if the HDD is ok, or if it's malfunctioning?

I already have backups, so no biggie if the disk dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
CrystalDiskInfo says the drive is "Good 100%". I see nothing in yellow or red.

Anecdotally, I feel like the disk performs fine. Windows boots quickly, and once a game is loaded in-game loads are quick. It is *only* when first launching a game that the delay happens.

Maybe it's a Windows problem, not a HDD problem?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

cowofwar posted:

Your IO or memory could be saturated. Check the task manager.

Odd. I tried loading TF2 while staring at resource monitor.

CPU, memory, and disk never hit 100% (or anything close to it). In fact, during the wait for the game to load the numbers basically stayed steady.

It was like the system was waiting to even begin the loading process, as opposed to trying to load and bottlenecking on something.

EDIT: Same for other games. No activity at all, then a sudden blip and the game loads off disk lightning quick.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 16, 2018

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

isndl posted:

Antivirus doing real time scanning?

I don't run an AV (other than default Windows Defender).

cowofwar posted:

Are all the games being loaded through the same app?

All launched through Steam.