Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for August, 2016?
This poll is closed.
Sasha Banks (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) 7 5.07%
:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) 2 1.45%
Dean Ambrose (WWE Champion) 8 5.80%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 3 2.17%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 4 2.90%
:manning: Michael Elgin (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 0 0%
Jay Lethal (FORMER ROH World Champion) 2 1.45%
Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) 4 2.90%
:rock: Finn Balor (FORMER WWE Universal Champion) 8 5.80%
Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) 93 67.39%
None of the Above 7 5.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month, for the first time EVER a woman's wrestler has won the monthly poll for Rowdy Ringsports' favorite Champ. Bayley won Champ of the Year last year but was never eligible for the monthly polls due to NXT's status as a Developmental Brand, but regardless few would argue (less than 50% apparently!) that either Sasha and Bayley are more than deserving of their place in the winners' circle.

Now it's time for Rowdy Ringsports to pick their Pro-Wrestling Champion for this month. To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. Due to popular demand, PWG Champions and the WWE Women's Champion are now included in the poll. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread. The PWG, Open the Dream Gate and Lucha Underground Champion do NOT feature in this month's poll due to a lack of anything going on with those promotions in August, but LU at least will be back next month.

Sasha Banks (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) - After a remarkable victory over old time rival Charlotte, Sasha Banks' title reign was sadly short-lived. Rumors abounded she had failed a wellness test, while others said she was working injured and needed surgery, and others said she was going to take a honeymoon after her recent marriage. Whatever the reason (any injury she did have turned out not to be as bad as was feared) her title reign ended at Summerslam a year and a day after her incredible NXT Women's title match against Bayley - this match was also excellent, no surprise given the long history between Charlotte and Sasha, but there was also no doubt about the finish - Sasha lost clean as could be and will that affect her votes after her (forum) history making poll win in July?

:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) - Charlotte regained the title she lost in the oddest of ways for a heel. After a lengthy title reign made up of cheating and distractions, after losing the belt she proceeded to win it back clean in an excellent match with Sasha Banks. Now feuding with fellow Four Horsewoman (and newly main roster debuting) Bayley she appears to have put Sasha Banks behind her for now.

Dean Ambrose (WWE Champion) - July for Dean was all about a rather one-sided feud with Dolph Ziggler. Ziggler gave impassioned, fiery promos about how this time he wasn't going to choke or get the brass ring hauled away from him, he was going to win the title at Summerslam and prove all his doubters wrong. Dean's response was.... no you won't. Then at Summerslam.... Ziggler didn't. Dean beat Ziggler in a rather unremarkable if enjoyable match where he never really seemed in danger of losing, and the crowd never really bought the idea that Ziggler could win... and he didn't. Now Dean's focus is on AJ Styles, a feud where the outcome is far more in doubt (or favoring the challenger), but that's a matter for another month.

:anime: Bobby Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Lashley's golden 2016 continued in August as he added the King of the Mountain belt to his Heavyweight and X-Division titles, defeating James Storm in a winner-takes-all match. Lashley has vacated his X-Division title and the King of the Mountain title has now been discontinued as part of the new era for TNA under the (partial) ownership and management of Billy Corgan, while Lashley's latest opponent looks to be Aron Rex, best known as Damien Sandow from WWE.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - While Okada's July and August saw his title reign take a back seat to the annual G1 Climax, as always one of the great side-benefits of the tournament is that it kicks off any number of new potential feuds/title challengers even beyond the ultimate winner. Now Okada knows that if he retains the title till January 2017 he will defend against Kenny Omega who was the first Gaijin to ever win the G1. But there are also side feuds with Bad Luck Fale and Naomichi Marufuji who he lost to in the tournament, and the lingering shadow of his utterly incredible 30 minute draw against old rival Hiroshi Tanahashi which ended with Tanahashi with the upper hand but Okada clearly kicking out on 2 even as the time ran out. There are plenty of things to look forward to coming out of the events of August, though whether the promise of things to come is enough to get your vote NOW is another question.

:manning: Michael Elgin (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - Similarly, Elgin's performance in the G1 set up any number of potential matches/feuds going forward for the IC Champion - probably the most interesting to me being his losses to Los Ingobernables de Japon's Naito and EVIL and his loss to NOAH's Katsuhiko Nakajima. Also of great interest was his victory over Kenny Omega, who went on to win the entire tournament, leading to the rather tantalizing prospect of the Intercontinental Champion having a victory over the possible next IWGP Heavyweight Champion. But like with Okada, it's the promise of things to come in months ahead, which may affect your vote for THIS month.

Jay Lethal (FORMER ROH World Champion) - After an amazing 427 day reign, Lethal finally met his match. Adam Cole was banned from ever fighting for the title by Nigel McGuinness but after Cole shockingly shaved Lethal bald, it was Lethal himself who insisted on the match, claiming this was no longer about titles but revenge. He would get his hands on Cole, he would beat Cole, he would teach Cole a lesson, he understood how to deal with people like Cole, and so Adam Cole would be humiliated and destroyed by the undefeated Lethal! It was inevitable, it was destiny, it was.....

Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) - ADAM COLE, BAYBAY!

:rock: Finn Balor (FORMER WWE Universal Champion) - After 2 years in NXT and far more in NJPW and the European Indies, Prince Devitt/Finn Balor/The Demon King got introduced to the WWE main roster in the biggest way possible when he defeated Roman Reigns to get into the finals of the tournament, then defeated Seth Rollins at Summerslam to become the first ever WWE Universal Champion. Unfortunately early in the match he suffered a dislocated shoulder, popped it back in, finished the match and then got the worst news - the shoulder injury required surgery and 4-6 months of recovery time. Only a day after winning the belt for one of the most impressive debuts in years, he was forced to relinquish the belt before it even got warm.

Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) - Making it into the final four of "a series of matches" to crown a new Champion, Owens found himself up against Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and Big Cass. The latter was the first to go out, while Owens was sidelined as Rollins and Reigns went at it. Then out of nowhere Triple H appeared, pedigreeing Roman Reigns seemingly in support of his old protege Seth Rollins. But as Owens lay in the corner expecting HHH to attack him next, Triple H instead pedigreed Seth and called for Owens - another of his NXT favorites - to make the pin. Owens won the title and the crowd chanted YOU DESERVED IT, rather ironic given the way he won the belt.... but who really cares? Finn Balor had to give up the belt, but now another indy darling who nobody ever expected to make it to WWE is the Champion of the promotion. He really does deserve it.... but what about your vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm voting for KO because I can't vote for the Miz.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Voting for Owens almost entirely because of Jeri-KO

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The G1 Briefcase is kinda like a championship right? Can I vote for Kenny?

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I mean who else could I vote for besides Owens?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I really want to vote for Finn but KO's work on the main roster over the last year has been too loving good and I think he's legitimately the best heel in WWE. YOU DESERVE IT *clap clap clapclapclap*

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
voting for KO but wishing i could vote for the revival

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Seams posted:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sorry, Finn & Sasha, KO wins

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Champ Owens Champ

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
You'd think a man ending Jay Lethal's 427 reign would feel like a bigger deal, but it's Adam Cole. Instead, Kevin Owens winning a new made up belt from Vacant was better. Voted Owens

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Cabbit posted:

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
that's right! Charlotte is on top again this month

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Voted Dean since while I love KO he hasn't really done much more as far as championships go than become champ via interference. (Still love him, so I expect next month he'll get my vote, and am happy he's on the poll and is looking like he'll win.)

Like, as of right now, I'd be more likely to vote for Finn than KO. Winning clean while working through a legit injury is much more impressive.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I would've voted for Dean based on his great mic work in the Ziggler feud, but the actual title match was no good. Voting for KO instead.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cabbit posted:

:agreed:

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Wish I could vote for Shibata for That One Headbutt alone but KO works too

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

This might be the last time I get to vote for the Greatest 1st Generation Wrestler period Jay Lethal. :(

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

KO winning is cool, but this Bobby Lashley's month.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cabbit posted:

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Cole vs Lethal was a better match but the Owens moment was cool.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
lol guess we can call it a month folks

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Tato posted:

You'd think a man ending Jay Lethal's 427 reign would feel like a bigger deal, but it's Adam Cole. Instead, Kevin Owens winning a new made up belt from Vacant was better. Voted Owens

That match was really good though?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Owens couldn't even win his own match by himself. Weak champ.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The title scene's been in so much drat turmoil this month. Okada showing in the G1 wasn't very strong despite the great quality of the matches, same with Elgin. Kenny and Naito blew both of them away in terms of how they looked coming out of it. Dean's feud with Dolph was interesting but not really COTM worthy, and I'm not gonna vote for Finn for his one-day reign, especially when the build to the match was sloppy outside of that first Raw. I watched Bobbo's match with Lance Storm and it was a desperate and effortless affair that made me really sad, so no thanks to that. ROH's deal felt so anticlimactic and weird considering the apparent import of what was happening in the story, with the big bad Bullet Club boss winning the belt against management's wishes and Lethal's epic title reign ending. And Sasha's feud with Charlotte was just so drat bland...

I think I'm gonna vote for Owens. Owens has been the most consistent performer of the bunch for the last month. He's only been Champion for 5 minutes of TV time out of the month, so that doesn't really seem fair, but everyone else just treaded so much water outside of ROH, and ROH made something of massive import FEEL like treading water despite an incredible match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sorry I forgot to put in the None of the Above option - though technically so many people in the past voted None of the Above in protest over Adam Cole not being on the poll....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry I forgot to put in the None of the Above option - though technically so many people in the past voted None of the Above in protest over Adam Cole not being on the poll....

I strongly doubt anybody, including that tenacious competitor None of the Above, is catching KO anyways

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 2, 2016

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I voted for Owens instead of None of the Above because I instinctively clicked the last option and it wasn't there. others have clearly done this as well, the system is rigged

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'm on mobile is YAMATO an option? If not I'll vote None of the Above/Kevin Owens.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
KO has only had the belt for like three days and he is still the obvious choice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I'm on mobile is YAMATO an option? If not I'll vote None of the Above/Kevin Owens.

Nope, I was told he had no title defenses in August and took a backseat to the Summer Adventure Tag League. Apparently he has a title match against Akira Tozawa in September though, so look forward to that!

Edit: Thank you whoever put in None of the above! :)

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

weird that Jerusalem made a poll that just says Kevin Owens, you'd think he would have included all of the other champions in pro wrestling

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voted none of the above, coz none of these clowns are The Miz. And he is awesome, and definitely NOT a coward.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Its pleases me that the iwgp ic belt has no votes.

It upsets me that big mike has no votes

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Seams posted:

Same here, that match in Brooklyn was just something else.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

Nope, I was told he had no title defenses in August and took a backseat to the Summer Adventure Tag League. Apparently he has a title match against Akira Tozawa in September though, so look forward to that!

Edit: Thank you whoever put in None of the above! :)

tbh no one without a title match should be an option, including major promotions

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tonfa posted:

tbh no one without a title match should be an option, including major promotions

It was a looooong time ago now but this is actually how I used to do things and then we'd get these bizarre situations like (at least this is how I remember it) Jeff Hardy being champion, being the most over guy in the entire promotion if not the entire world, doing amazing and noteworthy stuff.... but not having a single title defense for like 2-3 months so not appearing on the poll.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

Nothing will ever top HHH pedigreeing two dudes and the crowd chanting YOU DESERVE IT at Owens.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Tato posted:

ROH is so cold, it's frozen. Lethal/Cole had a very cool build and an excellent match with a title change being built up forever. Nobody cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If Ambrose can just get 81 more votes, he's got this!

• Locked thread