Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Follow Up: Has the announcing team ever referred to him casually by this name beyond talking about what a terrible nickname it is?

Yeah on secret UFC they said how good it was and how they want to scuk the nicknames dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Logistically speaking I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes with Joe Silva's job than we consider. I think he tries to book the greatest number of fights from the same camps on the same card as they can.

Only have to pay to fly Duke Rufus across the country once for 4 of his fighters fights than 4 times for one fight a piece. That sort of thing. The UFC pays for the fighter plus some amount of the cornermen so maximizing the spending of both the fighters and the UFC has to have been part of it.

I hope he starts his own podcast.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Logistically speaking I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes with Joe Silva's job than we consider. I think he tries to book the greatest number of fights from the same camps on the same card as they can.

Only have to pay to fly Duke Rufus across the country once for 4 of his fighters fights than 4 times for one fight a piece. That sort of thing. The UFC pays for the fighter plus some amount of the cornermen so maximizing the spending of both the fighters and the UFC has to have been part of it.

I hope he starts his own podcast.

Decent insight but that's not rocket science

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

omg chael crash posted:

I don't know what's going on with Wilson since I don't talk to him much these days but I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't end up getting his shot soon

yeah this one was weird. When was the last time a challenger had a title shot booked, the champion pulls out, he ends up finishing the replacement fighter anyway in 1 round... and no mention of his title shot again? I know TUF complicated things but Wilson Reis really should be up soon for that match with Mighty Mouse cause on his end he did everything he was supposed to.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I.N.R.I posted:

Yeah on secret UFC they said how good it was and how they want to scuk the nicknames dick

Missed that one. Sounds rad.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Follow Up: Has the announcing team ever referred to him casually by this name beyond talking about what a terrible nickname it is?

Yes, Rogan refers to him by it all the time.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Any newcomer is going to have to google "Ian McCall" anyway, it's not any more difficult to google "Uncle Creepy"

It's at least a few keystrokes more and not everyone has the time to

*begins wheezing heavily*
*waits until breathing returns to normal*

Anyhow here's my breakdown of the physicality of these fighters and why they all suck

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah this one was weird. When was the last time a challenger had a title shot booked, the champion pulls out, he ends up finishing the replacement fighter anyway in 1 round... and no mention of his title shot again? I know TUF complicated things but Wilson Reis really should be up soon for that match with Mighty Mouse cause on his end he did everything he was supposed to.

Wilson Reis was ranked 9th before that fight and was only getting it for the sake of a new warm body for DJ to disassemble. The only person losing sleep over that lost fight is Wilson and maybe the guy up the thread who knows him.

Edit: also the guy he ended up fighting doesn't have a Wikipedia page. We're not exactly talking equivalence here.

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 2, 2016

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Work Friend Keven posted:

The pound for pound smallest fighter in the world set to defend title belt that he uses as a blanket on cold nights.

lol

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
No newcomer should bother to google Ian McCall or Uncle Creepy cos he's a bad fighter with a bad name and bad moustache. Apparently in some past life in WEC he was good and cool but he sure hasn't been in the UFC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

No newcomer should bother to google Ian McCall or Uncle Creepy cos he's a bad fighter with a bad name and bad moustache. Apparently in some past life in WEC he was good and cool but he sure hasn't been in the UFC.

He wasn't good in WEC. It was in TPF that he beat a bunch of top-ranked guys, when TPF was the top organization for flyweights.

Other 125 standouts in TPF include Formiga (who lost to him), Darryl "The Mongoose" Montague (0-3 UFC - Dodson KO, Horiguchi Dec, Willie Gates KO), and "Useless" Ulysses Gomez (0-2 UFC - Moraga KO, Phil Harris dec).

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Watch his fight with Charlie Valencia from WEC 31

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Andrade/Calderwood is cool imo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Losing to Lineker, Benavidez and Johnson does not make you a bad fighter.

Also, Taisumov is out of his fight with Lentz. I'm devastated.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

LobsterMobster posted:

Most of his fights are good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I only saw one of his fights with mighty mouse but he looked relatively good in it

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

vainman posted:

Most of his fights are good

He gets suplexed on his head in hilarious fashion in that one

I think

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I also happen to like his mustache

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

LobsterMobster posted:

He gets suplexed on his head in hilarious fashion in that one

I think

Yes. This advice is good advice. He gets knocked out four times and then suplexed onto his head and then choked.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LobsterMobster posted:

Yeah do this. Here's the link for Fightpass, fight starts about a third of the way into the video.

https://www.ufc.tv/video/charlie-valencia-vs-ian-mccall-wec-31

For new folks who are thinking about getting Fight Pass, get Fight Pass. It's great. Here are a couple of recommendation threads from the past, which I'll be putting into the OP from now on:

UFC Fight Pass Playlists and Collections

The NEW UFC Fight Pass Collection Thread

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
*watches man bash demetrius Johnson to a 10-8 round* this is not very good fighting

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Claudia Gadelha has left Nova Uniao

http://nocautenarede.com.br/claudinha-gadelha-deixa-nova-uniao/

Apparently she's opened her own gym in the states, but it would be cool to see her join a good camp out here.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It would be interesting to see how she could develop with a new team for sure. Has anyone ever left Nova uniao and shown improvement

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
It's a shame Ray Borg's nickname isn't "Cy"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

It would be interesting to see how she could develop with a new team for sure. Has anyone ever left Nova uniao and shown improvement

Has anyone notable left Nova Uniao at all? BJ trained BJJ there back when before he was in MMA, and I guess Gray Maynard did a couple camps there, but I don't recall any notable Nova Uniao guys leaving.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

fatherdog posted:

Has anyone notable left Nova Uniao at all? BJ trained BJJ there back when before he was in MMA, and I guess Gray Maynard did a couple camps there, but I don't recall any notable Nova Uniao guys leaving.

JDS did worse after going there and seemed better after leaving

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I thought Dos Santos still trained there.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Gadhela looked really sharp in her fight with johanna before she gassed out. Given the current state of the division, I can't see her losing a three round match with anyone in it, so I'm not sure what's to be gained from switching camps.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
xtreme couture or nothin

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

RIP Gene Wilder

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788784

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

threeagainstfour posted:

Claudia Gadelha has left Nova Uniao

http://nocautenarede.com.br/claudinha-gadelha-deixa-nova-uniao/

Apparently she's opened her own gym in the states, but it would be cool to see her join a good camp out here.

Has anyone from Nova Uniao besides Aldo done anything of note since USADA testing and the stricter weight cutting rules?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah barao got the poo poo beat out of him a bunch of times

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah barao got the poo poo beat out of him a bunch of times

That is noteworthy in an enjoyable way yeah.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
gently caress they are throwing barao the softest softball next. can't wait to see how barao loses to phillipe nover

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
is it worth revisiting who is the more fraudulent/overrated champion of all time Anthony Pettis or Renan Barao cause I think it's starting to shift more in the direction of Barao imo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bubba Smith posted:

is it worth revisiting who is the more fraudulent/overrated champion of all time Anthony Pettis or Renan Barao cause I think it's starting to shift more in the direction of Barao imo

you know i was literally just thinking that they should have had them fight now that they're both at 145

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

Gadhela looked really sharp in her fight with johanna before she gassed out. Given the current state of the division, I can't see her losing a three round match with anyone in it, so I'm not sure what's to be gained from switching camps.

There's always things to improve on and new things to learn.

Assuming it isn't just USADA that has tanked Nova's record, it could be that the camp has just stagnated and the game has passed them by a bit.

Maybe she could sharpen her game up and learn some new things that would help her against opponents she cannot out strike, like Joanna, at a camp like King's MMA?

She's obviously got a lot of skill and talent, maybe she just needs a new coach to get her to that next level?

I dunno, just spit ballin here.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 2, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't think she needs new moves, because the ones she has were able to gently caress up joanna pretty good. maybe just go train at altitude or whatever until she can do it for five rounds.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

you know i was literally just thinking that they should have had them fight now that they're both at 145

I'd like to see that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0k7sfkuGWU

• Locked thread