Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The next round of Rockstar is here, and this time it's intense. Almost too intense.

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

Pick a song that makes you feel intensely, whether it's joy or sadness or excitement or dread. Something that sparks emotion in you, a song that sticks with you after you hear it, even if you've heard it a hundred times.

Deadline is 10/10/16.

If you've never participated in a Rockstar contest, now's the time! You could be the next winner, and feel intensely euphoric.

quote:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
You Were Always On My Mind

BOOM nailed it

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

drat. Now I wish I had saved my Wait So Long cover until now.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Awesome theme idea!

After a very long hiatus, I'm back to this contest to cover Miss Otis Regrets, or something else if I get a better idea.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

e: I really need to think about this before going off half cocked.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 3, 2016

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I am going to claim Fleet Foxes - Meadowlarks. Could change my mind. Was thinking of more Modest Mouse but just did that last round.

Might see what I can do with Björk - Pleasure Is All Mine, it's pretty unusual and would be fun to try.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and say I'll do These Exiled Years by Flogging Molly.

Der Metzgermeister
Nov 27, 2005

Denn du bist was du isst, und ihr wisst was es ist.
I'm loving back, bitches.

John Lennon's "Grow Old With Me"

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
In before anyone else calls it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-W0_cv85E

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I was going to call Reckoner by Radiohead. It makes me tingly. Although it might be a bt of an ask with my skills. I'll still attempt it though.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

These Exiled Years

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Finished Meadowlarks and it's kind of boring. Might change my entry to Benjamin Clementine - Cornerstone.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/always-on-my-mind

nh
Feb 2, 2003
I've always had an intense reaction to Hold On by Tom Waits, but I wouldn't dare ruin a Tom Waits song. He's my boo.

Instead, I'm going to do 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins. I was 12 when I first heard it back in 1996. I loved it so much, my parents bought me Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness for Christmas that year and I listened to it over and over again every day for months. The songs on that album were some of the first I ever learned to play on guitar. The obsession effectively set off a chain reaction of music education and appreciation that led to this moment, 21 years later, when I get to ruin the song for the internet. gently caress yeah.

edit: I got dressed to go to the gym and somehow ended up working on this for three hours instead. I might tweak it up a bit before the deadline, but probably not.

https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/1979-smashing-pumpkins-cover

nh fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 1, 2016

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
This is my entry unless I somehow get more talented in the next 4 days.

Agua De Beber

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
How are people doing? Does anyone need an extension?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am doing terribly! Between school and being dreadfully sick I don't think I can make it :( Also my interface is playing up so that's not good. Things are not going my way right now, so I will respectfully bow out.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
When I made the deadline I wasn't thinking of my work schedule. I am on a stretch of nights so I'm extending the deadline by at least another week. Will decide something concrete later.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Koivunen posted:

When I made the deadline I wasn't thinking of my work schedule. I am on a stretch of nights so I'm extending the deadline by at least another week. Will decide something concrete later.
Sweet! I might get something done!

nh
Feb 2, 2003
How's it going guys? All the submissions sound great. Still hoping to hear what everyone else has to offer.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
The new deadline is :siren: Friday October 28th :siren: Should be plenty of goons shut in at home over Halloween weekend avoiding social contact and instead voting on our contest.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Deadline is tomorrow! No more extensions so if you have an entry, post it ASAP.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I may need to record a new song. I'm so incredibly furious right now, some fucker stole my bass out of my car last night. Surely there's a song about beating thieves to death with a shovel...

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 28, 2016

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alternative pants posted:

I may need to record a new song. I'm so incredibly furious right now, some fucker stole my bass out of my car last night. Surely there's a song about beating thieves to death with a shovel...

Uh, THIEVES by Ministry, duh.

I haven't recorded anything. Don't hold up the parade for me.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Thread is up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3795819

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Well I think we know who won this round.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
ADHD eleven year olds with access to the internet and a lot of caffeine. That's who won.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Congrats nh! 1979 is the official winner by a long shot.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Thanks, guys. Does anyone have any ideas for a new theme? I have a couple. If no ideas, I can come up with something.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

The artist editions tend to work pretty well, as do the more solid themes like tv theme songs or apocalyptic songs. The more abstract a theme, the less well received I think it is no matter how much fun it is to pick and record a song that fits.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Okay. It's gonna be holiday songs. Sorry if it's been done before, but there are a lot of winter-themed tunes to choose from, so it's ripe for the season. I'll try to have the new post up tonight or tomorrow.

I think we're on Rockstar 70 now? So many Rockstars!

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

nh posted:

Okay. It's gonna be holiday songs. Sorry if it's been done before, but there are a lot of winter-themed tunes to choose from, so it's ripe for the season. I'll try to have the new post up tonight or tomorrow.

I think we're on Rockstar 70 now? So many Rockstars!

Good idea, I was thinking maybe add a wrinkle to it though? Like "Holiday songs in the style of Artist X" where we choose the artist? Or how about we take a non-holiday song and change it into a holiday song by changing one word then make a cover using sleighbells and poo poo?

(says the guy too lazy to even post a song this time around)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think we should have a round where we all cover the same song (Bowie, Major Tom) so voting is a cluster gently caress (each choice just says "Major Tom")

Come on. It would be the greatest Rockstar in the world.

Otherwise I'm calling Frosty the snowman in the style of Major Tom.

nh
Feb 2, 2003

Hawklad posted:

Good idea, I was thinking maybe add a wrinkle to it though? Like "Holiday songs in the style of Artist X" where we choose the artist? Or how about we take a non-holiday song and change it into a holiday song by changing one word then make a cover using sleighbells and poo poo?

(says the guy too lazy to even post a song this time around)

I like both of these ideas, but I'm sick right now and super lazy so I'm just gonna keep it simple and hope the simplicity gets participation up a bit.

edit: It's up. Been an SA forums member for over 13 years and I think this is my first thread. HOW EXCITING https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796949

nh fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Didn't know you added a new thread!

• Locked thread