Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
like not aliens from blindside or a bunch of little gray bitches in saucers

not even humanoids in generation ships or even aliens with language

like just some dumb as gently caress non-sentient herd of beasts who can live in the vacuum and happened to enter the solar system. this is of course assuming they can live a long time

it would be pretty funny though if aliens invaded and they were some real dumb motherfuckers instead of smart aliens like we expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
yes i' m certain of it

but to answer your question: no

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe a floating space turd

Aug 4, 2010

no space is too big

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Yeah Goons will take over eventually. :rolleyes:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Living in a vacuum seems like a pretty tough requirement. I don't mean just survival like those little "water bear" things but growing and reproducing with no oxygen and temperature swings (sunlight) of hundreds of degrees.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

That Robot posted:

it would be pretty funny though if aliens invaded and they were some real dumb motherfuckers instead of smart aliens like we expect

Theres a short story about that: https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
We probably already got hit with some stupid space microbe that made like 0.00001 percent of us attracted to ferris wheels or some poo poo.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I don't think space whales or space jellyfish can ever be a thing anywhere. Maybe there's some super specific region it's possible somewhere in the universe but they could never travel to a new star system. It's like, imagine sending a firework up into the air. Way way way up into the sky. Then in pops and you see all these pretty streamers of lights fall out from it. They're beautiful but they're so far up they'll go out long before they land. They're no risk that they'll catch fire and spread.

Now imagine that instead of a streamer of light it's a space jellyfish and instead of being a couple of hundred metres away from life it's, like, billions and billions of miles.

Nothing will ever reach us.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

www posted:

no space is too big

it's big enough that it might be possible

I think it would be funny for a bunch of dumbass animals without civilization came to our solar system

maybe they would try to eat our resources and poo poo

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

cool ty for that

i know about that

but that's microbes and little beasties in rocks

I'm talking about sizable poo poo

Fargo Fukes posted:

I don't think space whales or space jellyfish can ever be a thing anywhere. Maybe there's some super specific region it's possible somewhere in the universe but they could never travel to a new star system. It's like, imagine sending a firework up into the air. Way way way up into the sky. Then in pops and you see all these pretty streamers of lights fall out from it. They're beautiful but they're so far up they'll go out long before they land. They're no risk that they'll catch fire and spread.

Now imagine that instead of a streamer of light it's a space jellyfish and instead of being a couple of hundred metres away from life it's, like, billions and billions of miles.

Nothing will ever reach us.

perhaps

it's fun to think about though

even like space tumbleweeds or weird vegetation or some poo poo

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W194GQ6fHI

seems like the obvious answer

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
No OP the earth is a special snowflake

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

yes but water bears are from earth though my duder

more like some wandering pack of dumbass aliens who don't know what the gently caress they're doing and aren't even sentient

because after all the effort spent on seti and possibly communicating with aliens, the funniest thing would be first contact with some retard jellyfish thing that eats its own poo poo

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I thought there was significant evidence that all life on earth might have evolved from alien microorganisms brought to earth by an asteroid or comet.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I'm sure there won't be a resonance cascade scenario.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I thought there was significant evidence that all life on earth might have evolved from alien microorganisms brought to earth by an asteroid or comet.

I don't think there's "significant evidence", it's just something that was theoretically possible.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't think there's "significant evidence", it's just something that was theoretically possible.

I think it's "theoretically possible" you're a bitch rear end loser.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

That Robot posted:

it's big enough that it might be possible

I think it would be funny for a bunch of dumbass animals without civilization came to our solar system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footfall

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

If by significant evidence you mean how my butt keeps producing all these poops then yes

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

There was a whole movie about it! Jeez you kids

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morons_from_Outer_Space

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Microorganisms yes.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

why haven't we made a person out of water bears yet

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
isn't that where shrooms came from

That's why they grow on poo poo, bc they're dumb

They only get smart and talk to us when we eat them

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That Robot posted:

like just some dumb as gently caress non-sentient herd of beasts who can live in the vacuum and happened to enter the solar system. this is of course assuming they can live a long time

if they are small enough it could happen all the time and we'd have no way of knowing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

like if a herd of 200 cat size aliens cruise through the solar system somewhere between jupiter and saturn or whatever or even get pulled into one of the outer planets and burned up, I don't think humanity has anything set up that would even detect that

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
no i believe in the great filter (fermi paradox)

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Chrpno posted:

Interesting...I'll have to see if I can find it - and thank you! *Hug*

It's from the 80's too! I grew up with all that 80's sci fi feel, so I like it a lot.

Sunset fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 6, 2016

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

That Robot posted:

like not aliens from blindside or a bunch of little gray bitches in saucers

not even humanoids in generation ships or even aliens with language

Whoa, someone else that's read Blindsight (I assume you meant 'Blindsight' and not 'Blindside')!? What up fellow depressing hard-scifi fan goon!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

That Robot posted:

If they wanted to conquer us, enslave us, or steal our resources, they would've done it a long time ago, before we had the technology to put up any kind of resistance.

If they've been observing humanity for any length of time, it's a wonder that they even let us live. It shows remarkable restraint on their part that they haven't just incinerated the Earth before we could develop a way to travel to other planets.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Chrpno posted:

this comes close, but the aliens are self-aware

for the purpose of our discussion, these are non-sentient regular animal aliens or plants or some poo poo

like not capable of meaningful intelligent thought

Earwicker posted:

if they are small enough it could happen all the time and we'd have no way of knowing

thats true

but i wish there was a way to kniw

Earwicker posted:

like if a herd of 200 cat size aliens cruise through the solar system somewhere between jupiter and saturn or whatever or even get pulled into one of the outer planets and burned up, I don't think humanity has anything set up that would even detect that

that would be cool as hell though

like if they came by the earth and were quickly slaughtered

it would be p hosed up but still amusing

thathonkey posted:

no i believe in the great filter (fermi paradox)

i want to know whats behind the filter

like if its some guy ... *that robot takes a long drag off a jay and pauses midsentence for like a minute*

its like if some guy who is an rear end in a top hat is behind the great filter or some poo poo

or if its a fukken law of nature

*takes another drag*

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Whoa, someone else that's read Blindsight (I assume you meant 'Blindsight' and not 'Blindside')!? What up fellow depressing hard-scifi fan goon!

i have heard of it but have not had time to read it

science fiction is good, especially plausible hard science fiction

King Possum III posted:

If they wanted to conquer us, enslave us, or steal our resources, they would've done it a long time ago, before we had the technology to put up any kind of resistance.

If they've been observing humanity for any length of time, it's a wonder that they even let us live. It shows remarkable restraint on their part that they haven't just incinerated the Earth before we could develop a way to travel to other planets.

thats all well and good but im talking about a dumbass herd of animals type alien

like aliens who are not self-aware (but not like blindsight) but actual herds of animals that somehow survive the vacuum but are dumber than balls

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

King Possum III posted:

A lot of the rest of the earth is pretty chill, though. Like, if they annihilated humans before we could spread our violent chimp genes throughout the galaxy, they'd probably have to destroy the peaceful capybara, the noble blobfish, the whimsical giraffe and a bunch of other cool animals, plus like what if we're the only place in the cosmos that has weed?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the documentary film Starship Troopers was all about this OP watch it if you would like to know more

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The great filter isn't life or even complex life, it's intelligent life. Life happened on earth relatively instant in hilariously bad conditions (constant bombardment fiery inferno).

After that it took 4 billion loving years of evolution, thanks in part to a wonderfully stable host star, to get to humans which was probably essentially a miracle. Let alone being spacefaring (another 70,000 years) and thus worth a poo poo which is another miracle added onto that.

wide stance fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 6, 2016

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
lmao that u think humans are intelligent species

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wide stance posted:

The great filter isn't life or even complex life, it's intelligent life. Life happened on earth relatively instant in hilariously bad conditions (constant bombardment fiery inferno).

another issue with that argument is that it doesnt seem to take into account how basic our observation is. like for most of my life there were no confirmed planets outside of our solar system. but in the last decade or so we've discovered a huge number of them, and are discovering planets in habitable zones more frequently only in the last few years. which kind of emphasizes that we don't really know how rare or common "earthlike" or habitable planets actually are, we are just at the beginning of learning how to see them at all, and a very long way from being able to observe what is happening on them.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

no aliens are ever visiting this planet, jfc. I mean, they exist, but lol to think they're going to make come here

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Space whales, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Space retards. Our only hope

• Locked thread