Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Haverchuck posted:

This is a man who sells food for almost cost, and refuses any attempt to leave him a tip. In fact if you push him on it, he will remember you and decline to take your order next time.

being refused service is a symbol of respect, it is a samurai tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

quote:

I am a Katsu Curry Whore.

I think I have a few things whore for.
I am a dumpling whore.
I am a pork bun whore.
I am a fried curry bun whore.
I am a Pho whore.
I am a sesame dumpling wore.
I am a chicken Katsu sandwich whore.
I am a bibimbup whore.
I am a Korean Spicy Chirashi whore.
I am a Okinimiyaki whore.
I am a piroshki whore. ( fried kind.)
I am a red velvet cake whore.
etc.
~Nobu K., Yelp reviewer

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I live dead center of Tokyo and I unironically agree

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
some people think food should be a catonian exercise in humility, we call these people boring tightasses

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eyyyyy lets see Japan grill some hotdogs though right fellas? :jerky:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

shoophobo posted:

~Nobu K., Yelp reviewer
He's a whore, you can pork his buns.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I think so :confused:

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
they were the ones who showed us how to put hotdogs in pizzacrust

glorious nippon is always on the forefront of junk food development

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mdm posted:

sushi burrito sounds like something guaranteed to give you some kind of infection/parasite/explosive diarrhea

what the gently caress

yeah tbh i hate that it is a thing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haverchuck posted:

There used to be a place in my town that's owned and solely operated by an old japanese guy. He has a big list of preposterous rules you have to follow or he wont serve you. He has the paper checkbox style menu, most of the time he'll take it and look at it, and then totally disregard it and just serve you whatever he feels like making

lol that's awesome

obviously the correct play is to go in and say 'whatever you feel like doing is fine by me' when ordering

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just eat a handroll. I don't get its existence

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dookifex_maximus posted:

they were the ones who showed us how to put hotdogs in pizzacrust

Alright I googled this and which one of you guys wrote this article?? http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2015/06/25/pizza-huts-new-hot-dog-pizza-is-a-deathtrap

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blacktoll posted:

Just eat a handroll. I don't get its existence

right???

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i think the packaging is the real value there. i'm going to save a bunch of pushpop cartridges and make sushi pops for on the go weebing

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

Lol that is definitely a GBS post

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dookifex_maximus posted:

i think the packaging is the real value there. i'm going to save a bunch of pushpop cartridges and make sushi pops for on the go weebing
dude. patent this NOW

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Moridin920 posted:

lol that's awesome

obviously the correct play is to go in and say 'whatever you feel like doing is fine by me' when ordering

if i remember correctly he had a daily special and the pro move was to just order that because it would be good and fresh no matter what it was

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Dude who wants bread with sushi anyway. That's super loving gross.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
Too late, I'm stealing this idea.
SushPush™
Patent Pending.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Applewhite posted:

One time I was visiting Japan and ordered sushi at a restaurant there. The waitress couldn't believe it. She was like "ohhh? You like sushi?"

And I'm like yeah it's actually very popular in the US, which made her smile politely and say "oh really?"

After she brought me my food the waitress hung around to see if it would eat the sushi or if I'd be too grossed out. I poured a little dish of soy sauce and mixed wasabi in. When the waitress saw me dip my sushi in she giggled and said
"Ooh I see! You don' like sushi, you just like soy sauce!"

And I was like "n-no!" and grudgingly ate the rest of my sushi without soy sauce just to prove her wrong.

But actually sushi is much better with soy sauce and gently caress you if you're some kind of sushi purist who scorns people for dipping their sushi.

Oh, also: I hate to break it to you but American Sushi is superior to Japanese Sushi.

so long as you a tiny amount of soy strictly as a solvent for a big blob of lethally hot horseradish

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

shoophobo posted:

Too late, I'm stealing this idea.
SushPush™
Patent Pending.
Damnit. Dookifex you idiot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haverchuck posted:

if i remember correctly he had a daily special and the pro move was to just order that because it would be good and fresh no matter what it was

oh well then yeah

old japanese dude running his own little hole in the wall? most def get whatever the special is

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

How about a Sushi PIzza.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

oh well then yeah

old japanese dude running his own little hole in the wall? most def get whatever the special is
let's just say last time I used a little hole in the wall run by an old japanese guy I got more than a hand roll

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

How about a Sushi PIzza.

i bet you that's just mayo with the tiniest bit of sriracha mixed in all over that

i bet you

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

The best sushi.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

CROSS POST

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
I want to take a vacation where all I do is follow that crazy yelp guy around and make reviews too.

I'll sit right beside him, stabbing everything with one chopstick and shoveling it into my face like a child eating soup. I'll try some with wasabi and promptly try and scrape the offending bite out of my gaping mouth with the lone chopstick. After loudly chugging my coke I'll remark that I cant believe people use that "green poo poo" and pull a full size bottle of ketchup out of my pocket, I'll ask him to watch this ketchup later when I go "scope out the soft serve situation".

After dinner we can enjoy some tea (I'll need a glass of ice and some sweet n low please) and a few sake margaritas.

I think I could break him in about two weeks.

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDL8yu34fz0

Please educate yourself on how to properly prepare and eat sushi, as well as tradition and lore surrounding this special dish

Maaaa maaaa maaaa maaaaa

Oh toh toh toh

Maaaa maaaa maaaa maaa

Oh toh toh toh

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

this is how they treat sushi in toronto, like bottom rung fast food

there's 20 sushi spots within a few blocks of my office and they're all poo poo tier/AYCE, I think literally only one of them serves ika for example

you should really treat sushi as a rare treat instead of your go-to lunch option unless you're keen to experience debilitating mercury poisoning

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
JIVE
rear end
ROLLS

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

Cali rolls are okay when you're getting some cheap stuff from the supermarket but yeah I wouldn't order them at a restaurant.

On that note I don't enjoy goddamn creamed cheese in my sushi and I think this recent trend of 'deep fried' sushi is not very good either; although maybe I just haven't had a good one yet.

e: also Europe sucks dickbags at sushi, and steaks too while I'm at it

I want to hear more about Europeans sucking at steak

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
If the Japanese made better sushi than us, then we would force them to show us how. That's why we're the best, OP. :911:

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Internaut! posted:

there's 20 sushi spots within a few blocks of my office and they're all poo poo tier/AYCE, I think literally only one of them serves ika for example

you should really treat sushi as a rare treat instead of your go-to lunch option unless you're keen to experience debilitating mercury poisoning

I like high quality sushi and trash sushi, there are different tiers of quality for different life situations. like with beer

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internaut! posted:

there are many excellent discount sushi places in toronto that are healthy and filling in a variety of burbs and downtown locationz

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I went to a conveyor belt sushi place near Yokohama like 2 years ago and had a cheeseburger sushi

Basically just white rice with a mini cheeseburger party in top, complete garbage but I just loving had to get it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

I want to hear more about Europeans sucking at steak

This gets more true the farther east you go... I feel like for example you'll have an easier time of it in the UK than in Austria but:

When a European says 'steak' they mean 'chop' 90% of the time. As in like pork chop thickness. Thus you can imagine then that it is all pretty much 'well done.' They don't even ask you for the temp, they just bring you this piece of meat barely thicker than your smartphone cooked all the way through. And that's a "beef steak."

It's kinda weird you can find steak tartare no problem but an actual NY or filet cut is goddamn a mystery to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

This gets more true the farther east you go... I feel like for example you'll have an easier time of it in the UK than in Austria but:

When a European says 'steak' they mean 'chop' 90% of the time. As in like pork chop thickness. Thus you can imagine then that it is all pretty much 'well done.' They don't even ask you for the temp, they just bring you this piece of meat barely thicker than your smartphone cooked all the way through. And that's a "beef steak."

It's kinda weird you can find steak tartare no problem but an actual NY or filet cut is goddamn a mystery to them.

This seems like a very privileged based biased opinion.

• Locked thread