Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

This is the thread to talk about old books being translated into other languages.

I like some of Thomas Cleary's translations. His Taoist stuff is good and I like his translation of the Qur'an. My favorite version of the bible is the New JPS for the old testament and the New American Bible for the new testament because it has dragons and statues falling apart and poo poo.

What's a good translation of the Song of Roland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Traduttore, traditore

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I recently read Edith Grossman's translation of Don Quixote after having already read Putnam's. While I can say that both are great translations, Grossmans adds a degree of playfulness in prose that Putnam doesn't and ultimately pays off.

So ya, read the Grossman translation if you have to choose.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
So keen for Bottom's Dream

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Favorite part of a translation: the forward where the translator spends several paragraphs calling previous translations of the work complete trash

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking of lykiard's maldoror specifically here.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fantasy zone posted:

That's a good one, iirc he snipes at them in the footnotes later on as well which is funny

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

What English translation of the Poetic Edda should I look for? I care about precise meaning more than meter, etc.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Bandiet posted:

What English translation of the Poetic Edda should I look for? I care about precise meaning more than meter, etc.

i started writing a whole reply to this but instead i'm just going to link you to this guy who covers every available translation. the only recent one that's missing is the 2015 Crawford translation, which i don't personally think is very good

tl;dr: caroline larryngton's oxford world's classics translation is the best in-print edition. avoid the hollander edition.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

fantasy zone posted:

I read the penguin classic or whatever and thought it was okay except the translator kept pluralizing octopuses as "octopi" like wtf. It had a dope cover so I took that version from the school library.

I guess Lydia Davis did Madame Bovary in addition to swann's way, I dunno anything about proust and didn't finish it before oakland library made me send it back (one renewal??!?!) but I like lydia davis's short fiction so I'll assume it was good and I'll look for it now.

• Locked thread