Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

CommonShore posted:

On the other hand showing up for a teaching job with a black eye is loving awesome, so sparring is good.

100%

Some spazzing guy managed to boot me in the face a few weeks ago as I was passing his guard. I had motions court the next day and had to appear with two black eyes. It was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Man, every time a new shoyo drops I tell myself this is gonna be the time I bite the bullet and buy one.

Then they reveal the price I do the math and realize that it'll be the best part of four hundred bucks for a loving gi and i back off. Them shits are expensive.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

The fuckin title of this is spot on.

I love meeting people who tell me with a straight face that they learned how to defend against a knife attack (they're usually krav magicians). As far as I know the only surefire way to defend against a knife attack is to run away as fast as you can. Getting on a motorcycle or in a car and driving away is a good advanced variation on this technique.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

I've been doing this whole training things for years and still haven't gotten a black eye :(

Yesterday I was going for a bump sweep from guard and dude came forward at the same time I was coming up for the sweep and our heads collided.

Now I've got 4 stitches in my eyebrow and one hell of a black eye. Work's gonna be fun tomorrow.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Also a lacrosse ball. Easy to keep one at work.

Keep it in a sock. You can put pinpoint the spinal erectors that way.

Also the back buddy is loving great. I bought one the other week and its unreal.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006VJ6TO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491340576&sr=8-2&keywords=back+buddy

I hear it's good for prostate stimulation too so if you're down for new experiences after working through sore muscles there ya go

Oh poo poo that's totally why you can't return them then.

I ordered the big one off amazon and they sent me the small one. I emailed them and they said "well we can't take it back so we'll credit you the purchase price, keep it. Here's the right one if you want to order again", with a link on their site to the fullsize one (which I'd ordered initially). So I ordered the fullsize one, thinking I'll keep the big one at the office and the small one at home.

Gets delivered next week. Small one again. Same thing. I email them and tell them they sent me the wrong one again and they're like "oh gently caress that keeps happening, we're pulling it off the site until we figure it out. Keep that one too, we'll credit you again"

Now I have two of the loving things that I didn't pay for and neither of them are the one I wanted. Still works like a charm though.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

hi liter posted:

Do ya'll train with any cops? I know that a few I've trained with some in the past, as well as vets in the past, but the politics around both those issues has....changed in the last few years.

Any good stories?

One of the black belts at a Gracie Barra I used to train at is a sniper with the RCMP. Nice fella, tough as nails.

I was at a spot for a while that actively discouraged them from joining just because the guy who ran the BJJ program was a huge pothead and didn't want to deal with a cop when smoking before class.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I am Otis posted:

There's a couple of cops at my gym and they all go hard and fast. Most are eternal white belts who train like 3 times a month but one guy is a massive 280 pound brown belt who loving footlocks everyone.

my old gym had a black belt who was also a sniper for the RCMP.

Nicest goddamned guy you'd ever meet. Absolute savage on the mats.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

It kinda bums me out that after a decade of training my ears are totally normal looking. I'd like just *a little* so people would know I'm serious.

Me too, I'm five years into BJJ and my ears are pristine. I split my eyebrow open on a screwed up bump sweep last year and the ER doc sewed it up so well I didn't get a scar, which is bullshit. I wanted that Manny Pacquiao white line in the brow, but no dice.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

My current group doesn't do contact practice, but protective gear is the kind of thing where Is rather pay premium, even if it's only a marginal benefit. You'll miss those teeth when they're gone and getting replacements is even more expensive in the long run.

it's not just teeth, it's also the state of your head. You can't clench your jaw adequately when it's tooth on tooth. Can't count the number of times I've caught a knee to the jaw or something similar and was able to make my head solid by biting down on my mouthguard. Frank Mir's last fight he lost his mouthguard and tapped to strikes standing after like 3 punches to the face.

Jesus, now that i think about it, let along your tongue. Imagine getting kicked in the jaw with your tongue between your top and bottom teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was training with a smaller guy who was a wrestler who I had 30-40 lbs on. Got in a scramble , we both collide heads. I say “dude, are you alright?”. He looks at me funny and goes “DUDE, are you alright?” Jokes on me, my brow was split, blood was gushing on my face and I had to get 5 stitches. He was fine.

I was trying for a bump sweep and timed it unbelievably wrong and ran my eyebrow into my buddy's forehead. Same, five stitches, bled like a stuck pig, and I had photos for my new firm's website the following tuesday. I still had stitches in an a black eye you could see from across the street.