Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

It's a legal term -- eggshell skull. If someone had a very fragile body and you hurt them doing something that wouldn't hurt a normal person, the injury is on you even if you didn't know about their condition. I dunno if the gym waiver would change things.

I remember reading one news story that was literally this, a guy had an undetected generic condition so part of his skull was one third normal thickness. Someone got in a scuffle, whacked him with an umbrella, and whoops, sentenced for manslaughter.

Running shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

hi liter posted:

Tai Chi is like yoga for old chinese folks but cheaper and with less creepy white people.

a dozen 70 year old Chinese grannies and one white guy with filthy, filthy dreads

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

The weird / interesting thing about tai chi is that a lot of fighting/body mechanics are in there, just not applied to any direct mechanism.

So yeah it's like you retire from fighting but still want to do something kinda similar. Or maybe off day training like pilates and dancing.

Aikido is like that too but often insists it's all going to work. Versus admitting it's all esoteric deconstructed judo. Which is quite cool if you take it for what it is but most people don't.

I think there's some guys out there working on reconstructing a more martial 19th century form of Taichi, but they're not trying to sell it as effective for teh streetz.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

CommonShore posted:

This past Thursday I almost got into an altercation. I was headed into Walmart to buy a printer and then ahead of me I heard some alarms and a skinny kid came sprinting out of the front door towards me. He was obviously about to pass within arm's reach of me, and I thought about snagging him, but then I realized that I wasn't 100% sure of the situation and I let him go by without clotheslining/tripping him or whatever rather than take the risk of roughing up someone on a misunderstanding. It turned out that he was a thief with a fistfull of ps4 games, and I was a bit disappointed in myself for about 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes of being sour about it I realized that my decision had presented two different outcomes. Had I acted, the best outcome would have been a teenager gets hurt and goes to jail. That I hadn't acted means that Walmart loses $200 or so worth of merchandise. And you know what? gently caress Walmart.

Thanks Aikido! :thumbsup:

There's also outcomes where he's hopped up on goofballs and carrying a knife, or outcomes where you trip him and shatter his eggshell skull in what was legally not a self defense situation. I've been in similar situations and it makes you feel like a pussy for a bit but you absolutely made the right move.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I dunno what the reasons are, I just know when I watch people sprawl in BJJ class it makes my inner high school wrestler cry.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I'm cool with ippon BJJ but the only way I'm allowing pins is if you must secure your opponent, retrieve the washable marker hidden in your kimono, and imaginary kill them with red ink.

Medieval wrestling manuals have very little groundwork, and I assume this is the reason.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

How would aikido handle SAFTA?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

JaySB posted:

Does he not realize that higher belts will often let you get subs to make you feel good about yourself or to improve your technique?

If he's the special kind of retard that goes at 100% all the time, possibly not!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Is it just me or is it really loving weird that it seems like in the US wrestling is a thing through high school, and then unless you're good enough to get a scholarship and compete on a college team, just stops being a thing?

It's treated as a sport and that's how sports work in the US for the most part.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

That's on its way. There already a few dozen collegiate women's wrestling programs, although none recognized by the NCAA. What's weird is that at the high school level, many states don't separate out men and women wrestlers.

A small high school may not have enough girls for a seperate team. I mean it would be great if there were just as many interested girls as boys but I don't think we're there yet. Also simplifies life for trans wrestlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Qoey posted:

There's actually a book from the 30's called Fall Guys: The Barnum of Bounce that breaks that curtain, so people have always at least kinda known. Hell, even when American wrestling was at largely at a "legitimate" point with Frank Gotch and Karl Hackenschmidt, there was controversy and rumbling of match fixing. Old school NWA wrestlers often could actually wrestle/fight, but it's been mostly staged for almost a century now.

Yeah there was a transitional period where it was rigged but a champ still needed to be legit in case his opponent got paid off by gamblers or whatever and tried to go off script.