Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i'm out of shape due to taking months off (kid being born) and wanting to get back into a martial art / sport of some kind

we moved recently so my old boxing gym is out of the question, but i'd like to pick it back up, however i'm not sure about any of the gyms in my area (i'm looking for amateur boxing or competitive training, not fitness boxing if that makes sense)

if theres no boxing gym near me i would be interested in picking up a fighting style of some kind, BJJ probably being the most interesting to me

are there websites or trackers to view currently open gyms near me or is it more googling? i'd be visiting these locations first anyways but having a list would help immensely

im in columbus, oh if there are any cbus goons reading this, thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Smoking Crow posted:

I've only heard good things about Grove City Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

oh dang they offer muay thai, which would have been my third choice. nice

i'll check them out thanks. still looking for boxing first and foremost though

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i think i posted upthread about looking for a jiujitsu place because i had never tried it and was interested

i am happy to report that i found a jiujitsu place that was not only warm and welcoming to me as a newcomer, but also in the first week threw me through the newbie grinder both in exercises and drills, but also techniques (for example, i had no idea you could use an opponents gi to choke a dude out) and afterwards, signed up

they invited me to watch a competition here in columbus march i think 4th, which i am gonna attend because it sounds awesome

thank you thread for your help!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

Don't stop posting.

i wont, but im not sure how interesting my posts about "oh wow i learned this new thing and it was fun" or "my first white belt competition and i got flattened" will be

im extremely excited about the tournament though, i've never seen one before and if its half as exciting as the sparring at the gym is ill be hooked

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ICHIBAHN posted:

We'll be interested! Keep posting. I love hearing about bjj.

CommonShore posted:

That poo poo is super interesting. People say that they like my trip reports, but it's hard when the thread is a ghost town. More posts beget more posts.

will do then!

is there someplace that goes in-depth into competitions? scoring, strategies, etc? it was very briefly explained to me but it was mid-class so i feel it'd be good to read up on it further

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

Scoring varies from event to event. The short version, if it's a points tournament, is that you get points for achieving a position and holding it 3-5 seconds. Strategy is go out and do your thing, but be aggressive.

It should largely make sense once you see a tournament first-hand.

ah neat, okay. thank you! is there a penalty for holding a position longer than a few seconds?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

KildarX posted:

Depends on the tournament. Some have a stalling rule, but as a competitor depending on the position you can make a half hearted attempt at a submission that is totally safe to just hold the position indefinitely.

cool; i'll keep a look out at the tournament then

one more question i've got for now: since i have more of a background in boxing and kempo its going to be a weird change to not-striking; what happens if i reflexively / accidentally hit or elbow someone while being grappled? loss in points? dq?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

KildarX posted:

Shouldn't happen if you've been training in a grappling art for a little bit, but, you'll probably be disqualified.

willie_dee posted:

This was something I worried about but I found it surprisingly easy not to hit people

well it turns out i got to roll with an experienced member and yeah it turned out to not really be a problem

i learned an ankle lock today, it was kind of fun trying to do my one move against his like...fifty. it was a lot of fun trying to escape and i learned a thing or two

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
dear diary, this week i learned how to unfuck my diet so i don't have to leave the mat to go throw up

i feel a lot better and got to roll some more, it was fun

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Siivola posted:

Do you no longer have to leave the mat or do you no longer have to throw up? :v:

the latter thankfully

amazing what happens when you actually eat throughout the day and drink water instead of 2.5 meals and maybe an energy drink if im thirsty

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Are there any good websites that I can read up on BJJ techniques, scoring, etc. that you all would recommend?

After three? weeks of it I'm getting my own gi and looking to take it more seriously.

e: youtube channels would work too

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 8, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

love this website already, thanks!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

spiralbrain posted:

Started my first BJJ class today. I get a feeling this poo poo is addictive...

i'm a month into it and i love it. got my gi ordered too

its especially fun rolling with more advanced duders, they sometimes use things you haven't learned yet and it really helps me think on my feet

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i started to add judo to my weekly training on top of jiujitsu and its a lot of fun

when sparring with a green belt he told me not to cross my feet when moving even when it didnt feel like i was. i assume its because if my feet are crossed or too close together, its easier to sweep me, but when i actively tried not to cross my feet i'd just get goshi'd

im guessing this is something that just comes with practice

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

n3rdal3rt posted:

Yep, crossed feet are prime for sweeping. You'll find the happy medium of too close and too far apart that fits you the more you do it. My general stance is just wider then shoulder width and a little offset. Learning to shuffle step will help a lot. Keep with it, Judo is super fun.

Definitely, sparring and learning how to do tsuri goshi and tsurikomi goshi easily was the most fun I've had in a while. I was a wreck at jiujitsu immediately afterwards, but it was worth it.

I need to learn to hit the mat better though, I think my neck took a beating...

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I actually 'scored' against a green belt during randori today! We learned grip techniques (i don't remember the offical name, google says Kumi Kata?) and its something I'm fairly good at!

but then the green belt took off the training wheels and flipped me like twice but hey i'll take what i can get :v:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

Kumikata, yes. Strange coincidence -that's what we did too!

it made a lot of sense to me; the focus was on grabbing fabric that wasn't sleeves or lapels and instead grabbing what you can (so, like armpit area). prior boxing experience kind of helped here, i was able to grab fabric a lot quicker and easier than most of the other white belts

im thinking about attending an upcoming competition as a spectator, but i was told that even white belts could take part if they wanted. is it common to just hop right in knowing only a few basic techniques?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

really want that godfather training top

is there a good place for custom designed stuff like that? a bunch of dudes have them at my gym but i keep forgetting to ask them about it

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

noice

thanks

e: whoever writes descriptions for this site owns: https://www.scramblestuff.us/collections/rashguards/products/scramble-rwb-rashguard

quote:

R stands for roses, because I like the scent of freshly blossomed roses on a fresh spring day.

W stands for whisky. Because I have to drink lots of whisky in order to function properly.

B stands for bongos, because it's a funny word and it just made me laugh thinking about how funny it sounds.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 17, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
My gi finally came in. It's really comfortable! Kingz brand I think.

During open mat today I was told to spend less energy doing what I do, and focus on defending more. Like, if I roll with higher belts, I should focus on making them earn a lock or pin first. Wasn't from the sensei, was from a purple belt though.

Currently I just try to get triangles, mounts, side mounts or gi chokes :v: I don't know much more than that yet

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
do yall have any hot tips for getting out of pins? i got locked in a kata-gatame by a purple belt (in bjj, yellow in judo) and his grip was like iron, i struggled for a good minute and couldn't weasel or break out of it.

tournament in cbus coming up at the end of april for bjj and i might enter in and see how it goes. i don't know how to lock in much more than the basics but i'm being told competition is the best way to learn

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

There are no hot tips. The one cool trick (tm) is get up onto your side 30 to 45 degrees to start creating space. If both of your shoulders are down, you're hooped.

For kata gatame, you need to free your elbow first, either by getting it around his head to the mat, or by shrimping away and sucking your elbow into your stomach. To be perfectly honest though, if a BJJ purple belt had you there, the only reason that you weren't asleep is that he decided to play nice.

we were starting from that position and trying to break free as a drill for judo practice

i guess i'm not being mobile enough and just trying to power through things, i'll try shrimping more. thanks!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dave Grool posted:

This video is pretty good IMO, tl;dw version: you may need to bridge two (or more) times to escape, first to make space and disrupt the pin (may take multiple attempts if your partner is bigger/more skilled) then more bridging to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Im8IKc8NeY

wow yeah this really helped! i definitely was not bridging as much as i should have been (in general)

we did practice kesa-gatame a little but we mainly focused on kata-gatame and also a little on the one that looks like a north-south choke, it had a long name and i can't remember what it was

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i got my first tap at no-gi rolling yesterday evening :peanut:

side mount into americana but it just kind of happened, i didn't even really think about it

coach and upper belts were all like "yeah thats it, good job!" and then next round i immediately get arm barred lmao. no-gi is a lot of fun!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
First day back in a month due to business travel, warm greetings all around, good warm-up, learned a one armed neck choke, all good

Then rolling

I got put into various snake chokes, backbreakers, etc as a "welcome back"

Rip my body