Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

I should probably clarify that being afraid of being hit was (mostly :v: ) a joke, I'm gonna give some striking styles a go along with some grappling ones.

I'm in Nottingham in the UK, so If anyone has recommendations for Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai or Kickboxing around here, that'd be great. There's one MMA place here that does both BJJ and Muay Thai classes which could be interesting. I'm leaning quite heavily toward Judo from looking into things online, but a lot of the Judo schools nearby seem to be smaller less polished outfits run in a local youth club rather than a dedicated location.

I'm planning to just check out a fair few places for a bunch of different styles over the next couple of weeks and see what I enjoy most.

Judo tends to be run as non-profits and as long as they''re members of the appropriate national org, should actually be decent enough. Quality will still vary, but not to the extend of McDojo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm by no means an Aikido fan, but I think you are being a bit unfair:

quote:

Uyeshiba himself was good but when the students tried to apply the techniques they couldn't make them work under real conditions. In a way, Aikido had too much "technique" for the limited one year of training.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've been meaning to try judo but never got around to it. Seems like there's a few options in Albuquerque, any thoughts based on the websites?

http://www.nmjudo.com/ $75/mo, I thought Judo was supposed to be inexpensive?

http://sandiajudo.50megs.com/ well, you guys do say that the more primitive the site, the more trustworthy the place, right?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/judo-club-the-judo-aikido-ju-jutsu-albuquerque these guys don't even have a website.

It's like pulling teeth with these people...

Edit: there's also this http://unm.wsrjj.org/tradkodojudo.htm but I'm not sure how that exactly relates to the "Sandia Judo Club" with whom they apparently share space?

First one looks to have their own building, which probably adds to the price. They have the most experienced teacher as well.
2nd one, hard to say. Go check it out?

Last one is a USJJF club. Never heard of USSJF before and it looks like this apperantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr95G0BBCO8

I would check out the first 2.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fell Fire posted:

And I still don't have the best headspace for judo; I get nervous and start getting stiff.

It took me years to get past that stage in competitions and gradings.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nierbo posted:

So at MMA one of the coaches sons was teaching boxing and he said to keep my back foot parallel to my front, but I watched a tonne of boxing online yesterday and I don't think I saw a single boxer do that. Whats the deal?

It's the ideal and helps keep your hips square and allows for the most efficient forward/back movement.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The point was to answer this person's question:

He could roll for an extra 30 minutes a week to gain both a small increase in his experience level and a small increase in his grappling cardio. Or, he could spend 30 minutes a week doing conditioning which would not increase his experience but would greatly increase his grappling cardio, which is what he wanted to know about.

Personally I do extra conditioning but only in the lead-up to a competition. I'm too lazy the rest of the year. No-gi stuff is more explosive and there's also more repetitive full-body movement. Gi is less so but strains your grips and forearms more. The longer you train the less effort you will expend and the less tiring it will get. To answer the question, HIIT works pretty well, running or swimming are fine. If six minute rounds are killing you, maybe do six minute workouts with one minute break. Keep it easy but inject short bursts of intensity into it, and then over time start making the intense bursts longer and maybe up the workouts to seven minutes.

6 minute rounds is way more than traditional HIIT would normally be. The Tabata-protocol is 20 seconds on, 10 secs rest. Obviously it depends on what exercises you are doing, but the idea is max effort through the round and rest should be shortened enough so that you are really struggling through the couple of rounds.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I was one of the assisting instructors and ended up marrying one of the students. Does that count?:D.

Although to the best of my knowledge, she wasn't seeing anyone when she started at our club.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KildarX posted:

You do you bro, it's like dating in the office place. Yea it could end up cool like yours, I assume, but for every time it was cool there's times where poo poo happens and causes a whole mess of drama and the gym suffers for it.

Yeah, to be fair, I was aware of the potential fallout risk and was aware that I probably would have to change club, should it go awry.
Many of us mixed socially after practice and a lot of us in the same age-group (25-35), so relationships, if not common, certainly weren't unheard of.
The only real drama was when one couple split up, but they joined as a couple and eventually sorted themselves out enough to be able to practice together. (Although that did take a couple of years)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bowmore posted:

Why is aikido considered hokey?

Two reasons:
Some practitioners believes it works in a street fight and..
A lot of BJJ, etc thinks it it doesn't work in a street fight , then it's hokey.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

JaySB posted:

Have you ever seen aikido practiced on a resisting opponent? Yeah, neither have I.

And so what?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Piell posted:

If you aren't learning martial arts to be able to use it if needed then go learn something you can actually use, like dancing or juggling.

Why? It still teaches discipline, manners and respect. It (if taught properly) teaches you how to use your body and it'll keep your reasonably fit.
Do I think that a lot of the techniques are bullshit in terms of practicality? Sure, but if people enjoy, improve themselves and don't go out and try to pick fight when drunk (Which I've seen plenty of kickboxers, BJJ's, etc do), then I can see absolutely nothing wrong with practicing it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kekekela posted:

Hey rear end in a top hat, before you go moving the goalposts, your original smug rear end assertion was regarding street-fighting.

No, I was referring to why some people find it hokey. Please keep up.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

The levels described here are reasonable but the amount of safety gear seems targeted at calling out BS schools.
There's nothing wrong with having proper or even excess safety equipment as long as the sparring is done properly.
Especially for beginners, I don't think it makes sense to ask them to gauge the gear.

6-7: Medium contact with excessive safety gear.
8-9: Hard contact with reasonable safety gear and/or limited to one range of fighting (standup/grappling).
10: Regular (monthly or less) skill testing via full contact, full range fighting, minimum safety equipment.

But again, doesn't that depend entirely on what your purpose of practicing your chosen MA is?.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Not sure what you're referring to by "that." Having beginners assess degree of equipment used to level of sparring?

My contention is that rating safety gear along a minimum-excessive spectrum doesn't make sense. Like there's a minimum mouthguard you could use for hard sparring?

No, that sparring is necessary for a martial art to be 'alive'.
I (periodically) practice Katori Shinto Ryu and there's no sparring. Yet, it's a school that stood the test of time (and battles).
I guess I'm mainly challenging the notion that martial arts is limited to punching and grappling.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

I think this dimension of martial arts is almost tautological. Proper sparring is alive, and aliveness comes from proper sparring.
Techniques you execute are never perfect, and you have to constantly adjust to what your opponent is doing.

By my definition above, I don't think an art with no sparring can be alive. Having no knowledge of that art and going only by the wikipedia page, that curriculum seems like the taichi of weapons fighting, and I imagine that soldiers would have had to do some sparring to prepare for serving in war.

Sparring with weapons is possible but I acknowledge that it's hard to do in a way that's as similar as a real fight (where someone could get killed by a real edge).

My main martial art is kendo and my opinion is that realistic sparring with weapons is impossible. You can simulate parts of it, possibly all the various parts, but you cannot do all the parts combined. It's simply too dangerous, which is why koryu's such as Katori Shinto Ryu, etc was 'invented'. Obviously the main purpose of those arts have changed. There's no 'need' to learn to use a sword, so people do it as a hobby and as tool for self-development.
You could argue that the art is dead/dying because of that, but then whenever I have practiced with the senior KSR teachers, they are just as much 'alive' as my opponents in kendo.

What I'm objecting against, is that martial arts should be defined as something that's effective when you want to punch people in the face (or want to avoid getting punched in the face). It's far more broad than that. (you can punch them in groin too!)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Better at what?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

and those are at this point a solved problem from the direction of making live sparring work.

So, you know anyone who spars with live blades?.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Seriously? That Roland dude is worse than most aikido guys.
There's nothing realistic about what he's doing.
As for the longsword, they're playing a game of tag.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Plenty of teachers in aikido I've had striking backgrounds (Kung fu, Karate) and taught proper striking technique as well. I have seen plenty of (bullshit) aikido along the way, but characterizing the whole art as bullshit is a bit much.

This is my take on it too. In order aikido to be implemented in any realistic manner, you need to cross train. The point remains, though, that you are much better off doing a MMA variant than aikido, if you want it to be practical at all.

I've yet to see any kind of non-fake demonstration of aikido, where the attacker is actually attacking and not just doing a karate-chop or grabbing a hand. Their weapons demos are even worse.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Because in your scenario you get arrested for assault and if I had to end the situation it will look like I did some sort of weird lock on them and won't get charged with assault.

So why not just do BJJ instead? By your own admission, it's easier to learn.
I mean, I like the philosophy behind aikido, the movement system, etc and I understand why it attracts some people, but I would never call it an effective martial art and I've yet to see any evidence that it is.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KildarX posted:

Does Kendo have any grappling associated with it? I assumed for historical purposes it would have retained a few sword on sword clinch maneuvers.

Not really. Footsweeps and throws are 'legal' in police kendo tournaments, but won't score. It's also pretty dangerous, as you are on a hardwood floor.
A couple dojo's do what they call 'old style kendo' and have a fair amount of it, but it's not really historical in terms of kendo.
Some dojo's do it as a part of 'hazing' on special occasions (birthdays, similar), but it's with a implied consent and always the stronger students who will be exposed to it.
(Some Japanese highschool/uni dojo, not so much implied consent, but under the kohai/sempai system, so you can call it cultural consent if you will).

On the practical side, taking away 50% of your power in a clinch is a very high risk maneuver. None of the traditional sword arts I've seen and practiced have moves involving grappling once the clinch has started. There would be stuff where you would divert the power of the opponent, but they all focused on then using the 3 foot razor blade in your hand :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Was it even your bike? It looks absolutely worthless.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You're in the UK?
You'd be thrown in jail, if you'd 'hosed him up', especially if you did it over 3 quids worth of bike frame that didn't even belong to you.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Don't do loving Akido for $100 a month. Its not worth $10. Do Judo or BJJ. If you can find a friendly BJJ place you don't need muscle and it's actually an effective MA that improves fitness and mental fitness far more than any Akido ever would.

Yes, soon you too can be running around trying to murder people for trying to steal $5 worth of crappy bike frame.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

got any sevens posted:

Just found this thread.

I've been doing krav maga once a week for the last few months, it's pretty cool and I like how well I sleep when I'm a bit sore after a tough lesson! My footwork still needs a lot of work, I dance around too much and get myself off balance when striking :(

We got to put on boxing gloves last week and actually half-strength spar, it was really fun to get hit and have that pain sharpen my reflexes to focus on defense. Pain really is a great teacher. I still always pull my punches when sparring though, I'm not violent by nature

Just be aware that people here dislike Krav Maga even more than Aikido...so hold on tight :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Looking for some feedback on rib injuries. Mashed mine good 2.5 weeks back in dirt jump gone wrong and was wondering what people's experiences with healing times have been? I'm supposed to attend a training camp this weekend (mostly as a referee) but wanted to practice too.
I can do deep breaths without pain, but lifting/sneezing still hurts.
I think they're just sprained rather than broken, so I'm inclined to 'risk it' at the weekend.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is for kendo, so 'rolling' wont be a problem.
I think I'll go to the beginners practice on Thursday, shout a bit a bit at them, join some of the drills and see how it goes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Today has been pretty much pain-free, Gotta help the wife tonight moving some equipment in her studio, so that will be a good test.
Now I just need to catch up with a 4 week fitness loss in 3 days (I didn't practice the week before I smashed it).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Today has been pretty much pain-free, Gotta help the wife tonight moving some equipment in her studio, so that will be a good test.
Now I just need to catch up with a 4 week fitness loss in 3 days (I didn't practice the week before I smashed it).

So, that was probably a week to early. Didn't do any new damage, but it wasn't fun!!.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Sanda rules, off the top of my head:

How many rounds? Your opponent looked totally gassed out.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Awesome, congrats!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Different art, but usually passing a promotion exam is an opportunity to re-visit your basics.
When I'm working towards an exam or tournament, I'll usually (re)discover several issues that I need to work, that requires 're-tooling', a process that is often too long (and distracting) to implement when you are working towards a shorter term goal.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Novum posted:

Real interesting stuff from the fat nerds who are trying to learn how to fight from old comic books.

hema.txt

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wangsbig posted:

we have a guy that came in as a purple belt from another gym out of state. after something like a week of training he tore the four stripes from his belt & worked his way back up under our professor

He's got a PHD in BJJ? :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

Professor means teacher in Portuguese.

Ah, fair enough.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My first teacher put a fair amount of effort into teaching us (2 seniors students) " how to teach " and assigned each of us a group of students.
One general guide line was that if you have to repeat something more than 3 times (and no change towards the right solution is happening), you need to find a different way of phrasing/demonstrating it.
Another task, was to find '5 good things' about each of our 'students'. It's very easy to tell relative beginners what they're doing wrong, but far harder to say what they're doing right. Often you can then ask them to take parts of what they're doing right and transfer it over to areas that needs improving.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

He gave up before she even put any pressure on his arm..he knew exactly what was about to happen...and yet he still can't fully admit that he was wrong.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Lately I've been struggling with whether to train if my body is sore, Ill train even if it is. I know the obvious, if you feel sore, take some time out from sparring. But then I get sore from drilling and doing warm ups as well if I leave the sparring out. How many days off do you guys take a week to recover? How much should I be sparring as a blue belt? I'd do it everytime I go in if I could, but I just cant find the energy to.

Heres my typical weekly schedule:

1. Monday BJJ Gi - 7am to 8:30 (sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
2. Tuesday Judo - 11am to 12:30 (standup sparring 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
3. Wed No Gi - 7am to 8:30 (sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
4. Thurs BJJ Gi - 11am to 12:30 ((sparring for a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, and lately the whole class)
5. Fri BJJ Gi (Open Mat) - Drilling to very little sparring, more working on things.

Am I training too much??

How's your sleep and diet?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I usually get about 6 hours of sleep a night. Diet is somewhat ok. Ill be honest there are nights a grab a pizza and eat half the drat thing myself. It could totally be better.

Sleep is probably the bigger factor. 6 is not enough.
I find that BCAA supplements help with soreness and recovery. There's limited science to support this, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

And yeah 6 may not be enough. But I still feel sore and bit run down even if I get more than that.

One or 2 nights wont make any real difference..You have to consistently get 7+hrs.