Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I've enrolled myself and my daughter for a year into a place which teaches Tang Soo Do. It gives us something to do together and I'm looking at it like a couple of extra cardio sessions per week as well.

Currently, we're doing two 45-minute sessions per week, and there are 12 weeks in each "rotation" of training. I'm looking for advice on getting the most out of it. We plan on practicing some stuff at home, and next week I was going to make it a point for us to do at least 15-20 minutes a day practicing moves and our form for when it comes time to test for a belt.

Are there any accessories anyone would recommend I have at home and the best place to purchase things? i.e. kick targets/pads that sort of thing.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

kimbo305 posted:

How old is your kid and how enthusiastic is she?

She's 11 and she enjoys our time in class/together. She will do practice on her own if I remind her, but she's not obsessive about getting to be the best or anything.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

slidebite posted:

We have some sort of black belt Tang Soo Do practitioner that trains with us at Traditional TKD. He says there is a lot of similarity and fits in quite well.

2x a week, especially not even an hour each is really not much. Can you train more? Like extra classes? Since you have a partner kick paddles and pads are certainly helpful for home practice if you have the room, but you really need to be confident your not practicing poor technique all the time at home or else your going to be setting that to memory and it will be that much harder to lose.

Amazon is where I bought my paddles but I buy my gear at the club.

The 2x a week thing is for the beginner classes. As you progress more stuff opens up. The beginner classes focus on nailing the proper technique of all the basic things (kicks, blocks, self-defense, form). Once they are satisfied you've gotten that, it opens up intermediate/advanced and more days of training. I could technically do more than 2 days a week, but it covers the same material over a 12 week period until you reach the testing week. They also made a DVD for home use for us to practice at home until we've reached the end of the beginner stuff.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Odddzy posted:

Do they charge extra for the DVD and the other classes once you "move up"?

DVD was $15 for all of the beginner lessons. The other classes, no you don't pay extra. It just changes what's available.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I attended my first tournament (Tang soo do/Taekwando) a couple of weeks ago. Currently a white senior belt (which equates to around the first 24 weeks +/-) and have been enjoying classes with my daughter and was encouraged to sign up. Ended up placing first in the point sparring beginner adult division. Also got third place in open hand forms. It was fun/interesting. Learning to get my Chuck Norris kicks down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

DandyLion posted:

Good on you for putting yourself out there!

That being said, why is your opponent softly whispering to your kick?

He had just thrown a kick I blocked and he was backing off. I decided to go for the win with 2 points to the side of the head. Not the best action shot from a zoomed in iPhone 7.

I've also dropped a little over 50 lbs since the beginning of the year so I'm surprised I could get my leg that high.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

slidebite posted:

How's the pandemic effecting your training?

For us, classes themselves are largely same as normal but no hand shaking. Been doing some more distant no-contact sparring which actually isn't terrible because it lets you try things you might not normally try, but it's not all the time.

2 tournaments over the next month have been cancelled and our white/color testing next week, where all students from our satellite schools get together to be graded by the masters are instead being graded by the 4th Dan instructors at the satellite location.

Also found out there is no evidence covid is spread by sweat, but of course there is potentially some spit and coughing in the groups so they are trying to play it safe.

No hand-shaking or high-fives, fist-bumps only. All equipment used in class is sanitized after each class. No students with fever/cough allowed in.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The idea that people are grappling with each other but handshakes aren't allowed is hilarious

The illusion of action is comforting I guess...

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
My dojang has been doing online content (videos and written assignments) for us to continue as we choose. It's an interesting approach.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Usually Korean terms, questions related to what we're learning, etc.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

kimbo305 posted:

The 40% of the times I go for a head kick and pull out my support foot and fall.

We recently had waxed the floors at my dojang and that made for some fun high kicks.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
https://youtu.be/u_AT_qYm-qc

My first time power breaking. Tried 8 10-inch boards. I made it through 6.

Didn’t hurt at all, but any tips/pointers are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I don't practice breaking but from what I've seen classmates and pros do everything looked solid. Do you practice visualization? For example, are you hitting the first board really hard, or are you punching the floor? This can make a massive difference, in my opinion, in breaking and combat.

My strategy was placement and speed. I didn’t want to risk my wrist being caught at a bad angle and I wanted to hit as fast/hard on the lower palm as I could.

On regular breaking I generally aim past the board. I definitely found it a bit more difficult here with the other considerations of potential wrist injury.

I probably was a little psyched out that the person before me didn’t break a single board in their three attempts.