Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
How about some beginner advice in the OP?

Fourth: Beginner Advice

Congrats, you've chosen your martial art and you've made it to your first class. Here's some beginner advice to maximize your enjoyment:

* Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Show respect for your instructors and fellow students. Follow gym/dojo rules. Show up to class on time. Check your ego at the door. Pay attention when instruction is being given.

* Leave the teaching to the instructor and higher ranked students. Troubleshooting with your training partner is fine, but you're new so check with the instructor to ensure you're not complicating a simple problem.

* Use the proper protective equipment. Especially when sparring or using weapons. Ask your instructor what you need. A fitted mouthguard is a good start.

* Always practice personal hygiene. Sparring and doing drills with unhygienic people sucks. Take a shower after class as soon as possible. Launder your uniform. Keep your finger and toe nails trimmed short. Cover open wounds.

* Don't train while you're sick or have a skin infection (e.g. ringworm). Do yourself and your training partners a favour and watch Netflix instead. See the first bullet.

* Give yourself time to recover when you're injured. Your +35 year old self will thank you.

fatherdog posted:

A big part of your continuing training is going to be figuring out the difference between hurt and injured. Everyone trains hurt. Try not to train injured.

* Have fun! Martial arts is a life long hobby. If you're not enjoying yourself or don't like the vibe of your current gym/dojo but still want to learn the martial art, go and try another gym/dojo.

* Seriously, don't be an rear end in a top hat. That's what SA is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

TheCardhouse posted:

Just went to my first BJJ class ever and it was pretty different from what I was expecting after reading a decent amount about others' first experiences. The gym was way more packed than I expected, there must have been 50+ people there.

They had a group broken out just for newbies with about 12 of us in it. I was not alone in being brand new, two other people I talked with also started just this week and I got the impression that everyone was in their first month or two. What we did was drill I think 5 different moves instructed by a couple blue belts. 1 from guard and 4 from mounted. Mounted stuff was about how to maintain mounted position plus 3 different submissions (americana, armlock and some blood choke using their arm and your bicep) that could be used if the bottom person tried to bench press the top person off.

The weird part was I ended up paired up with someone going through their second class so both of us were basically going through the drills extremely slowly trying our best to copy what they showed but still getting it wrong. We did often have one or another of the blue belts talking us through it as we were drilling it so that helped, but it still felt bizarre drilling against someone else who was just as clueless as me. I guess the most surprising part of it was that when it was over after an hour(all we did was those drills) I had barely broken a sweat because of how slowly both of us were going just to try to figure out the motions.

It wasn't bad but I really wasn't blown away excited by it like a lot of people are after their first lessons and like I expected/hoped to be.

September is also a time when a lot of gyms get an influx of new people and that was probably their way of dealing with it. Ask the instructor if it's usual that many students in one class - if not then you'll have a good chance to roll and drill with experienced students. If it is normally that many students in a class I would try a different school.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thanks. It's just small cuts on my fingers I've noticed today, stemming from training last night I reckon, wouldn't dream of training with open cuts or anything. I keep everything covered, finger tape, rash guard, gi, even yoga socks to cover my feet if there's any cuts on them (much to my teammates' amusement). I'm big on hygene too, showering before and after, fresh uniform every class etc. I DO have dry skin though, have done since I was a teenager. I normally use standard shower gell, would you or anyone else be able to recommend anything better? Cheers again.

I get ashy after a shower. You could get a gel for sensitive skin or that has aloe, but the best solution is moisturizer. I was getting cuts at my old judo club and moisturizing my feet and hands before class helped.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Agean90 posted:

Yeah definatly if I'm doing martial arts it's for fun and getting fit, not use.

Do your choices have a website you can share? Ask yourself if you want to hug or use weapons. I get a way better workout in grappling than when I did kali escrima. As for fun - grappling is fun but plenty of grind and be prepared to suck before it gets better. While for arnis the drilling/sparring with rubber knives and sticks is really fun.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Entenzahn posted:

Now that I'm about to start boxing I'm actually getting a bit worried - how much damage can the sport do to your brain? If I'm anxious about this sort of thing I should probably leave out sparring, but is boxing without sparring still useful?

Working the bags and mitts will get you a good workout and used to the mechanics of throwing good punches and combos, but sparring hones other skill sets that you only get from practicing against a resisting opponent - proper head/body movement, defense, and knowing how to react after getting punched (as well as getting used to being punched).

There is head trauma from sparring over the long term but head shots at the weekend warrior level won't be too bad. Be smart about it to minimize the risks - wear head gear and mouth protection, as well as being aware of signs and symptoms - headaches, light headed, dizziness, etc. If you do experience signs and symptoms then take a break from sparring for a few days or even a week.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 22, 2016

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Entenzahn posted:

Alright, thanks guys. The course is only going for 90 minutes a week so I'll do as you suggested and only spar occasionally with protective gear on. In the long run, is Muay Thai better in this regard or should I generally steer clear of striking arts if I'm overly worried about brain damage?

Generally for most gyms the sparring should be done at 60-75% maximum especially for non-competitive teammates. There's usually a separate class time for anything greater (a sparring class or fighters only class). If you're at a gym that will allow beginners to spar at 100% maximum then consider switching gyms.

Since you're starting out, get a feel for the gym, hit the bags first and learn some punches and combos. If you like what you're doing, then think about whether you want to try sparring. I'm sure your coach can help you out at that point when you discuss it with him.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Ive been doing Boxing and Kickboxing twice a week for a bit now and am looking to add an extra day of some grappling/ground work somewhere.
My possibilities here are Greco Roman Wrestling or BJJ, i'm leaning to the latter which i'm assuming would be the best for learning chokes, armbars and so on ?

There's also a place here where they teach kali/eskrima which seems to have both punch and grapple work involved. Anyone have experiences with this or is it more bullshido/choreography type of stuff? Flailing around with sticks and knives seems like it could be kind of silly fun tho :shobon:

Kali/arnis/eskrima should always be viewed as a weapons based system first and foremost. If you want to learn how to fight with a stick and knife - go for it. It's fun, especially if the school has sparring. But if you want to learn grappling and groundwork - find a grappling based system. BJJ is a good choice for learning submissions.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Bumping this thread since it's been over a week.

What's everyone working on - I'm working on double underhooks from butterfly

Also please share any funny injuries

Grappling: ha, count me in for also working on my butterfly guard. Just generally trying to tighten it up - grip fighting, proper positioning, attacks - arm drags and butterfly sweeps. For submissions, I've been practising knee on belly -> d'arce -> neck crank.

Striking: Coach has us working on hooking off the jab to change up the rhythm. And defense. Always defense.

Injuries: Became one year older two weeks ago and last week was the first time I've ever strained the outside of my hip from running around playing ultimate frisbee. So now I'm out for the next couple days. Yay to getting old. :toot:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
back in my judo club I was doing randori against a BJJ player. I did a failed ippon seio nage so I went straight into turtle defense. He put in his hooks being all excited to show off some groundwork. That was until I flattened out and he had to tap since I crushed his big toe. Fear the judo flattened position all you BJJ snobs.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

KildarX posted:

Neck cranks all day.

Win by hansoku-make bitch get your neck cranking leg locking berimboloing weak rear end poo poo outta here.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
The Gracie breakdown of man vs panda was pretty amusing.

Anyone have any experience training at Miller Brothers MMA or rolling against people from their gym? http://www.millerbrothersmma.com/ I have a chance to visit them next week if I can sneak away from my cousin's wedding festivities.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

himurak posted:

I roll/box/muay Thai there. I'm very new to the sport all around so take from my experience what you will. The people there are very helpful and friendly and there's tons of experience in the gym overall. There's ample Mat space and the gym is open for a good chunk of time during the week. It has enough weights and cardio to supplement an actual gym membership. I would definitely recommend them.

Thanks, I'm trying to sneak out either Wednesday or Thursday. Just don't know if I'd get more out of the advanced gi on Wednesday or the advanced no-gi class on Thursday.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
The Gerbi choke was banned once the IJF caught up with the rules. However, if you have a lovely ref for your match you can maybe borderline get away with the peruvian neck tie since it captures an arm and can be made to look like a blood choke.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
No one ever saw Rocky working his cardio by sparring his way up those god drat steps.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Grandmaster.flv posted:

You took your girlfriend to a gym presumably filled with athletic men that like to dominate with their hips and you are a goon that likes anime.
Victim blaming is dumb but I laughed at this because it's SA. The two striking coaches at the other MMA gym in town had a falling out because one coach was loving the other coache's wife, who was also training at the gym. Apparently it had been going on for a year before it was found out and it really hosed up their club for a bit. When I first moved to town that MMA gym was only a 5 min bike ride from me and had great gi instruction but since the two striking coaches made me uneasy I chose to drive 15 mins away to the other MMA gym that did mostly no-gi. Glad I dodged that drama bullshit.

Anyway my point is hoes are gonna ho no matter if you're a goony anime lover or athletic buff socialite. So yeah, victim blaming is still dumb.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

Ah okay. My former uni runs classes and you don't have to be a student to join, $110 for a semester 2 times a week sounds like a steal then.
you talking about the UofT Judo club? The instruction is great and it caters more towards adults vs kids. Jorge is really well known in the judo scene.

For other cheap clubs that give good instruction you can try Ronin Judo and Annex Judo. All 3 clubs are vastly different from one another so it will mostly come down to personal preference.

If you don't mind dropping more than $100/month in the city for 2x week, another option is to check out Revolution MMA. I think they still offer judo classes plus you'll also have the option of checking out muay thai and BJJ.

e: I can't read - $110 per semester is pretty cheap.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 22, 2017

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

bowmore posted:

in all seriousness thanks for the replies
What interests you in taking aikido and wing chun? What interests you in taking both at the same time? If it's for exercise, fun, and perhaps for a bit of culture immersion - go for it. But if you haven't trained a martial art before you might get a bit overwhelmed by the techniques taught in both arts. My opinion is if you do intend to pursue martial arts as a life long hobby it would be best to get a foundation in one art before learning a different one (unless the arts compliment each other, as KildarX mentions).

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
My autistic teammate won his first ever kickboxing match yesterday by TKO. It was just a local smoker, but he's been excited to fight for a while so we were super pumped for him. The highlights of the match was him sprinting to the ring ala ultimate warrior style once his name was called and his victory speech which was just him shouting unintelligible poo poo in to the mic and doing the Ric Flair "WOOOO" at the end. We had a good laugh.

What I really wanted to share was that the event had an all female judges panel and I thought that was awesome.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I heard there used to be a guy that visited my gym occasionally who also complained about his wraps falling apart. His name was Conor. Conor McGregor. Funny thing though: apparently he only had this problem with his left hand. I'm having it with both hands. You might be talking to a loving god in the making, tread carefully you little twerps.

Up to week four in boxing!
seriously though - a delicates mesh bag for your wraps is a game changer. That is until you get sponsored and get your wraps for free, which sounds like it won't be long so forget my advice.

CommonShore posted:

Related question for the thread, then -

Bonus points if you know of a reasonablly priced type/brand which is already less than 1/2 inch wide so I don't have to spend time cutting it.
good timing - I just ordered this yesterday. I don't need bulk but it's the only one on amazon.ca I found and I figured my gym mates would want to grab some. This one you can order by the roll but they don't ship to Canada and the price point isn't the best.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Will do, and if you want - PM me your address and I'll ship one or two over to you.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

CommonShore posted:

Eeeh don't worry about that. No sense in letting the shipping companies double dip - but I appreciate the offer. If they don't look like mini rolls and if you say they're decent quality after having tried them, I'll just order my own. I'm going to probably resell 2/3 of them to other people at cost anyway - that's what I did when I ordered 40 mouthguards.
Here you go:

Let me know if that's clear enough. It's more flexible than hockey tape but definitely no where near as flimsy as medical tape.

JaySB posted:

Wait are you trying to defend Aikido?

I think Ligur is moreso defending sparring light as a training method. Sparring light (and flow rolling, kata, drilling, or hitting the bags) will certainly refine the mechanics of the technique, which is part of the question Quidditch posed. As Conor McGregor says "upgrading the software without damaging the hardware".

A good gym will have a wide range of training methods, and many of us are in agreement that gyms (such as aikido) that do not use sparring as a training method miss out on honing other skill sets that you only get from practicing against a resisting opponent -- proper head/body movement, defense, adapting the technique, and knowing how to react after getting punched/thrown/choked/etc. (as well as getting used to the feeling of being punched/thrown/choked/etc.).

But in the end it really depends on what you want out of your martial art. Who gives a gently caress if you're having fun and getting a workout if that's your goal. A lot of people in my MMA gym won't spar or only roll lightly since they're really there for the workout, learn techniques, and enjoy the social aspect of a team workout. Are they any better than someone who trains wing chun or aikido? Are they any better than someone who trains in a wing chun gym that spars? :shrug:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Trick question - I would tool the poo poo out of both groups before crushing them under my basic kesa gatame hold down.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

CommonShore posted:

Kesa gatame may be basic but it scales well with your skill:
Then I should be talking about my advanced kesa gatame hold down, which I would use to hold down both groups at the same time.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

Are there any common BJJ techniques that don't exist in a typical Judo syllabus? And conversely are there Judo ground techniques that you wouldn't see in BJJ?
Plenty of BJJ techniques you won't see in judo - no submissions below the waist, no neck cranks, no slicers, no wrist locks, no attacks to the shoulders. Only arm locks that attack the elbow, chokes, and pins are allowed. Guillotines have to have one arm in to count as a choke and not a crank. Depending on the judo club and whether or not they're gearing up for competition season, you may or may not get to learn some of the illegal techniques.

Many judo techniques you will see in BJJ since there's a lot of overlap, but some techniques aren't so common like the judo flat turtle position (which is mainly for stalling until you're stood back up) and attacks to counter the judo flat turtle position. I'd say that judo ground techniques are very fundamental compared to BJJ, due to judo's olympic ruleset to favour stand up fighting and BJJ evolving the ground game so much over the years.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

Like Americana or Kimura?

Can you tell me more about positional differences?
Americanas and kimuras are technically a grey area since it attacks both the elbow and shoulder but widely accepted in judo as most judges will let it happen and schools will teach it. Same as omaplatas.

Positional differences in newaza? That's a lot of information - what do you want to know? In a nutshell you want to work to get to an advantageous position for the pin or submission. A good beginner book to read is Stephan Kesting's roadmap for BJJ book: http://www.grapplearts.com/bjj-books/ . It outlines the hierarchy of positions.

Did you try out the judo classes already? How'd you like it?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

Yep, I'm having a lot of fun! I did jiu jitsu before so I'm already familiar with the techniques so far.

I also joined a BJJ gym. Enjoying that as well, although to be honest the "bro" culture of it doesn't really vibe with me, although I'm not sure if this a product of the specific gym I'm training at.

Nice, great to hear you're enjoying it. I did TJJ and made the switch to judo since it's one thing to know the techniques and another to know how to apply it in randori. Both BJJ and Judo totally compliment each other but I really recommend you try other BJJ schools before committing to one. There are so many good schools in Toronto that you're bound to find one that you vibe with. Keep the thread posted!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
In fact, box and wrestle at the same time.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

LionArcher posted:

As someone who's done aikido for going on 20 years, worked security, and trained with a couple of special forces dudes, the amount of time is key. One year of aikido isn't going to get you fighting ready like a year of BJJ or MMA, but five years + is when it starts being effective. I was in the old thread and people told me it was bullshit and go train at a real gym and see how it worked out. So I did, and cross trained for a bit because people were telling me it wouldn't work. I handled myself just fine, but in the end I prefer aikido. I may go to a different gym at some point, because I do agree that cross training helps everyone. The gym just wasn't my favorite I suppose.

This by no means is meant to say that I haven't gotten my rear end kicked many, many times in both aikido and in the gym I trained at for a couple of months. But when it's come to street fights (aka real world applications) Or when I needed to prove a point about it being effective, I've been fine. In other words, as a self defense, aikido has been effective long term. What I don't consider is that there has been a ton of cross training along the way. Plenty of teachers in aikido I've had striking backgrounds (Kung fu, Karate) and taught proper striking technique as well.
I get it. You cross trained at some gym (BJJ or MMA, I dunno) and satisfied your ego by doing well enough for self defense application. If that benchmark floats your boat, great. Keep doing you. But let's be honest about skill levels by comparing mat time - you're a black belt and an aikidoka of 20 years. How do you think you would fare in a street fight against (assuming same size opponents - low 200s, broad shoulders, 6 ft):
* a black belt judoka or BJJer of 20 years?
* a brown belt judoka or BJJer of 10 years?
* a blue belt judoka or purple belt BJJ of 5 years?
* a green belt judoka or blue belt BJJ of 2 years?

If you can handle yourself just fine or prove a point that aikido's effectiveness against a black belt judoka or BJJer of 20 years (equivalent to you), then great - you've put in equivalent mat time and can claim that you handled yourself. If you're still getting tooled by these calibre of opponents, then you didn't really handle yourself just fine. As you mentioned, you have to compare how much mat time will it take to get an aikidoka ready vs a bjjer/judoka ready for self-defense.

Comparing your skill by going up against the white belts of other martial arts (or against someone not trained at all) is purely to feed your ego. And that's okay if it's your goal, I'm just calling you out on an unfair comparison as a fellow martial artist.

LionArcher posted:

I have seen plenty of (bullshit) aikido along the way, but characterizing the whole art as bullshit is a bit much.
You're not listening. We have no problems about the techniques of aikido. BJJ, judo, sambo, and aikido all stem from traditional japanese jujitsu. We have no problem with BJJ, judo, and sambo. It's the training method of aikido that irks us. Pretty much all aikido gyms don't do live sparring, which is essential to applying the technique. Which is why we're asking you for videos. Game recognizes game.

LionArcher posted:

I'm not saying for somebody starting off that doesn't have my Organization around that it's the best self defense art. I'm just saying that there are still plenty of aikido practitioners that are solid martial artists, and can handle themselves just fine.
And that's the thing - we all have experience with aikidokas visiting our schools and tooling them. Not their fault - they don't do live sparring. I'm sure there are aikido practitioners out there who can handle themselves just fine, we have yet to see them.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

CommonShore posted:

I did some jits last night wearing shorts as opposed to spats or gi pants for the first time in over a year. How do you monsters do that? Why would anyone want to grapple in shorts?

Practicing for the streets muthafucker.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
The last injury I sustained while sparring kickboxing was the day after the TJ Dilishaw vs Dominick Cruz fight and I tried to execute a Dominick Cruz style slide step -> switch stance -> step through jab but ended up falling over and rolling my ankle pretty bad. :v:

Muay Thai/kickboxing is great, although I only spar with strikes once a week nowadays (not including light sparring) cause yeah, I value my brain. In the next few years I'll probably cut out sparring with strikes totally. Aging is such a cruel unforgiving beast.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

willie_dee posted:

At the same time, if he had of turned to face me, I'd of hosed him up.

All because he was trying to take this at 1am and woke me up smashing it with the hammer for a good 30 seconds.

http://m.imgur.com/Ulgw77a?r[
I dunno if that was worth chasing an armed felon, Willie. What was your plan if you would have caught him - just beat the poo poo out of him?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Honestly I feel like grappling sports are way more dangerous because if someone doesn't play safe you have a lot of chance to bend/break someone badly or put way too much body weight on a bad area.

In striking you just get your lights knocked out for a second
I've actually gotten way more injuries from grappling (and ultimate frisbee) than from striking. Wrist, elbow, and shoulder injuries I sustained in my 20s are coming back to bite me now. But yeah, the potential for head trauma trumps that.

The most fun sparring I've done is kali knife fighting so have fun with that!

kimbo305 posted:

This is a good discussion. Thinking to the last person to ask "why isn't there more striking chat in this thread?,"
I don't see nearly as many questions like this come up for striking. Likely cuz there aren't as many people practicing, but I'm sure if a similar question were asked, there'd be people to discuss it.

I'll try one -- one of the moves I've been improving is a lead Brazilian/question mark kick. I usually know if it'll land and will pull it so it lands pretty gently. But part of me thinks if I want to practice it for real, I should keep pushing through, slowly. Either they'll catch my kick and push/throw me off, or they'll have their head pushed off line where I can follow up and they can't.

The goal is to keep my mechanics more real to how I'd throw it if I wanted to knock them out. If I throw it like I do now, it'll never have that heavy power behind it.
Are you thinking along the lines of whether you or your sparring partner will have anything to gain if you follow through with the kick? And if you do follow through will you have the power needed for a knock out? Or are you pulling your kick since you're being a safe sparring partner? Being safe is essentially why I don't do any head kicks when I spar - since I suck at kicking and have to use more (uncontrolled) momentum and power to get my legs higher.

Kind of the same reason why I don't attempt flying armbars or jump guard when rolling.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
I'd say that everyone taking any martial arts is given a false sense of confidence for self-defense scenarios, not just cardio boxing/kickboxing or touch butt in the park. We should all be running away from or getting out of a street fight ASAP like the goony pansies we are. (points 1 and 2 of the OP)

redgubbinz posted:

Out of curiosity I dipped into the middle of the thread and found the ten page argument...oops :downs:

Like I said I'm new to the whole thing, Judo and BJJ get talked up a lot throughout the thread, might research those although it's slim pickings in my area. I could also go to a (non-MA) gym and workout but learning a skill and meeting people would be nice.
$100/month is a bit steep compared to boxing or judo, but if you tell us your area, we can probably help recommend some places. Personally if it was really that slim pickings and your goal is physical and mental fitness, I'd forgo martial arts and look for a crossfit gym or running club or cycling club for around the same price point.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Those look like the shittiest coat hangers ever.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
I currently train with a cop and we're both blue belts but he's about 15 years my senior. I have no good stories other than to tell you guys that I hope I have abs as nice as him when I'm his age. :allears:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Yo xguard there plenty of good schools in Toronto and the GTA - where are you staying?

I third OpenMat as a top choice. Other schools you can check out are: Evolucai Thai, Primal MMA, and Innercity MMA.
Ronin Judo is pretty dingy but great for judo and has late adult classes. Plenty of really good Muay Thai schools as well - Old School Muay Thai, TKMT, Krudar Muay Thai: K1, e: I forgot Siam No. 1. For JKD/FMA there's Fighting Arts Collective. Toronto's also got good systema and krav maga schools if that's what you want to do. :smuggo:

If you're not staying downtown, there are other schools that could be closer and have good instruction as well.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 1, 2017

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
That was a great video, thanks for sharing. A true martial artist right there.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

kimbo305 posted:

Which gyms might be the cheapest/ coolest for dropping in for a day and sparring with folks?

For the coolest, I'd choose Siam No. 1 - it's over on the west end but it's conveniently along the subway and it's Ajahn Suchart's school, who's a Muay Thai legend in Canada. For downtown, I'd consider Old School Muay Thai, which is run by a former student of Suchart. Krudar caters to more yuppy kickboxercise types and plenty of people say good things about TKMT (they're always at street events putting on sparring demos) but I've been told their lineage is kind of shady (if you care about that stuff).

In case you're interested, Toronto also has a good San Shou scene although I don't know much about it. The Hong Luck Club in Chinatown has classes and Apex San Shou is a well known competitive school, although way out on the east end.

manyak posted:

Bazooka kickboxing. Come spar with Joseph Valtellini, Matt Embree, and to a lesser extent me
Ha awesome, I didn't realize a former Glory kickboxer opened up in the GTA. I always thought you trained out way west like in Hamilton or Guelph.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

Do you know how much it costs to train at openmat? I heard from someone that it's around $170/month which sounds really steep.
I'm not sure on current prices around the GTA within the last two years, but that sounds about right - Openmat is known to be a bit more expensive than other gyms. But they usually run a promo that reduces the cost for the annual pass.

Were you able to try out other BJJ places or did you stick with your current one?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

I'm going to give Openmat a try this month. Unfortunately aside from that and TorontoBJJ no other places offer significant trials. I think I'm leaning towards TBJJ just for the convenience of their schedule.
TBJJ is known for its serious training atmosphere but Coach Britto is top notch. They epitomize the STFU and train attitude - which is a bit of a turn off for a hobbyist vs. a competitor. Yeah, unfortunately most gyms will only have a week trial and it's tough to gauge if you're unsure what to look for, but I'd say that the atmosphere's at TBJJ and OpenMat are on opposite ends of the atmosphere spectrum so seeing the difference will help gauge other gyms if you're willing to try other places. Innercity MMA is in the vicinity and Shah Franco is a good teacher with a very laidback approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Kekekela posted:

I still haven't watched it tho cus I'm a complete wus.
Me too, but I manned the gently caress up and :cry:.

The Darlok posted:

Yes and no. I'm pretty sure I never posted, as far as I can tell he just threw me down at the perfect angle.
I agree, didn't look like you did, and I respect the fact you tried to roll into guard after the slam. Nice overhand right (part of your game plan) and jab as well. Respect to your opponent for slipping your second jab and going in for the takedown. But mad respect to you for stepping in to the ring - if the injury didn't happen I'm sure everyone would have loved to see the fight go the distance. :hfive: