Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trailer
Some behind the scenes thing

quote:

After she is struck and killed by a tractor-trailer carrying erectile dysfunction products, a woman named Eleanor wakes up to discover she has entered the afterlife. But when she is told by her mentor Michael that she is in "the good place" because she did a good deed by helping get innocent people off death row, she realizes that a mistake has been made and they think she is someone else. Stuck in a world where no one curses or gets drunk and everyone is always nice, Eleanor finds herself caught between staying in the afterlife or trying to find a way to return to the mundane life she had back on Earth.

This is the first show entirely created by Michael Schur, who worked on The Office for a number of years before co-creating Parks and Rec with Greg Daniels and Brooklyn Nine-Nine with Dan Goor, serving as the showrunner on the former, so he has a hell of a track record. I'm not entirely sure about the premise yet, but Danson and Bell are great comedy actors (doesn't really seem to be anyone else major in the cast yet) and the trailer is cute.

Premieres on Monday September 19th before moving to its regular time slot of Thursdays at 8:30 on the 22nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This premieres tonight! And here I was thinking I was making the thread too late less than a week before it started.

Cool interview with Schur here: http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-schur-knows-where-good-place-going-thanks--242700

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really weird that they're airing three episodes this week. I hope it survives, it's getting good buzz.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty fun so far. Laughed a lot at the froyo bit.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This TV show thinks I'm going to hell. It's a weird feeling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So far this is off to a forking good start.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm assuming since Drew Goddard is directing the pilot the discomforting feeling I get from this is purposeful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do like the little bits of people being slightly unhappy, like Tahani and rolling her eyes at the vow of silence.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Eh... it's kind of meh so far

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Enjoyed the hell out of it. Especially kicking the dog into the sun.

Anyone got screenshots of their point system. There were some amazing site gags on there.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I definitely caught "Stayed loyal to Cleveland Browns +50"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

They had become the NFL commissioner on there at like -800 points

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of them was "Began to compose social media post about David Bowie dying and then thought, ‘The world doesn’t need to hear my thoughts on David Bowie.'"

It'll be up on Hulu later tonight so it shouldn't be too hard for someone to get screen caps.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Enjoyed the hell out of it. Especially kicking the dog into the sun.

Anyone got screenshots of their point system. There were some amazing site gags on there.

Alan Sepinwall has you covered

Heh -100 points for rooting for the Yankees

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 20, 2016

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Wonderful thank you.

The NFL commissioner and Cleveland Browns one are fantastic.

Also love this combo:

Ate Vegan: +429.65
Never Discussed Veganism Unprompted: +9881.62

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Fixed tricycle for child who loves tricycles"

"Fixed tricycle for child who is indifferent to tricycles"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
At the start of the episode I noticed that Kirsten Bell is cross eyed. And from there on out, I couldn't really focus on anything else.It was really obvious at some point and I never noticed it before. Is Strabismus something which gets worse with age?
Now I feel kinda bad for being so superficial.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Began to compose Social Media post about the death of David Bowie and then thought "The world doesn't need to hear my thoughts on David Bowie" +216.22

Ate Vegan +620.43

Never discussed veganism unprompted +9855.59

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 20, 2016

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is odd, the actor who plays Chidi looks really familiar, but he doesn't seem to have been in anything else i have seen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Liked this a lot but think it could do with being a little slower. I'm happy to spend some time exploring the characters and the world instead of going full-speed ahead with the mystery elements. Not that that stops it from being a strong start.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Assuming the show lasts long enough to get to this point, I'm going to throw out the theory that The Bad Place is just being reincarnated on Earth, and that's why they're tight lipped on information about it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
bad place is prolly a fun place and all the screaming from the sound clip was just from a bangin' party

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oasx posted:

It is odd, the actor who plays Chidi looks really familiar, but he doesn't seem to have been in anything else i have seen.

He reminds me a lot of Echo Kellum.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
That was really good. Only bummer is they probably won't be able to have the cool set pieces long term due to tv budgets. Lot of material for jokes though, and I'd follow Schur drat near anywhere.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Honestly, when everything started going wrong, I assumed the plot twist was that The Good Place was under attack, and they'd need Eleanor to teach them how to be terrible people to fight back. Slightly disappointed they're going with the more standard 'learning to be a better person' route instead, but heck, I'll still take it. It's a fun show!

Some other plus or minuses I noticed:

Use "Facebook" as a verb: -5.55
Use the term "Bro-Code" -7.84
Commit Genocide: -435295.20
End Slavery: +814772.33
Telling a woman to "Smile": -53
Overstate personal connection to tragedy that has nothing to do with you: -42.20
Blow nose by pressing nostril down and exhaling: -5.81
Attended cousin's friend's child's jazz dance recital +22.74
Gave our full size candy bars at halloween: +633.59

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That was OK. I enjoyed it enough to keep watching for now, but I'm not 100% sold. And throughout the entire episode I just kept wondering why all these supposedly good, selfless people are just totally OK with the vast majority of people going to hell. The only one even slightly bothered by that is Eleanor, and her only as regards her personally ending up there.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That was the best part of the episode by far.

FoxTerrier posted:

Commit Genocide: -435295.20
End Slavery: +814772.33
End slavery by committing genocide, +379477.13?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Some good person is gonna be consigned to the Bad Place due to floating point arithmetic imprecision, and it'll all be the fault of the designer who didn't think to just multiply all the points by a hundred.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Calling it now, Elanor is supposed to be in the Good Place as Chidi's reward. He got a difficult ethical quandary to unravel and can now spend eternity dedicating himself to the thing he was most passionate about.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Jack of Hearts posted:

Some good person is gonna be consigned to the Bad Place due to floating point arithmetic imprecision, and it'll all be the fault of the designer who didn't think to just multiply all the points by a hundred.

For all we know, those numbers could actually be stored as long ints. One day a saint who ended 30 different slaveries is suddenly incredibly far in the red due to an overflow error.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

If they want to go kind of cliche they could have it that the person that they mixed Eleanor up with was sent to the Bad Place after being a good person and so Eleanor has to chose whether or not to sacrifice herself by switching places. Of course by choosing to do that she earns enough points to legitimately be in the Good Place.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tiggum posted:

That was OK. I enjoyed it enough to keep watching for now, but I'm not 100% sold. And throughout the entire episode I just kept wondering why all these supposedly good, selfless people are just totally OK with the vast majority of people going to hell. The only one even slightly bothered by that is Eleanor, and her only as regards her personally ending up there.

That kind of bugged me too. The premise seems to be "Didn't personally become a saint on earth while you were there? Congrats, you're just as bad as Hitler, Pol Pot and Jeffrey Dahmer all rolled into one." It seems like all those good people really should be concerned about that. Especially the Ethics professor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to imagine that there's some kind of twist to the whole "Bad Place" narrative just because of how monstrously unfair the system is.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

seaborgium posted:

That kind of bugged me too. The premise seems to be "Didn't personally become a saint on earth while you were there? Congrats, you're just as bad as Hitler, Pol Pot and Jeffrey Dahmer all rolled into one." It seems like all those good people really should be concerned about that. Especially the Ethics professor.

They mentioned that there are many, many, many "Good Places" and they are selected to be in their good place with like minded people that they will live in perfect harmony with.

Presumably most people go to a Good Place, just not that particular Good Place. Probably when it is time to wrap all this up they will explain it was just a clerical error and she was in fact supposed to go to the Good Place all along because people for all their faults are basically good, even the kind of lovely people.

I liked the first episode, I think it is generally going to be a feel good series and I seriously doubt even at it's end they would take a serious dark turn and send her off to the Bad Place. And part of the human condition is almost all of us worry about being "bad people", society would probably be miserable if we didn't.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 21, 2016

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

They say only the best of the best go to the Good Place.

The show presents a weird and unsettling view of the afterlife, and presumably it's going to tear down the concept over the season. We see Ted Danson kick a dog into the sun and then tell its owner it's not a real dog and it doesn't actually love her. This show seems willing to get a bit weird and dark.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tiggum posted:

Well they pretty explicitly make light of that fact, so no doubt it'll be something that comes up later.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Air is lava! posted:

At the start of the episode I noticed that Kirsten Bell is cross eyed. And from there on out, I couldn't really focus on anything else.It was really obvious at some point and I never noticed it before. Is Strabismus something which gets worse with age?
Now I feel kinda bad for being so superficial.

She's got a lazy eye, she used it really well in her guest spot on Deadwood. She said when she gets tired it gets worse so that scene was probably shot at the end of a day.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I put a spider outside safely tonight. Ding, 40 points!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I have to imagine that there's some kind of twist to the whole "Bad Place" narrative just because of how monstrously unfair the system is.

raditts posted:

Well they pretty explicitly make light of that fact, so no doubt it'll be something that comes up later.
No doubt, but that doesn't explain why the characters aren't concerned about it.

Three Olives posted:

I think it is generally going to be a feel good series and I seriously doubt even at it's end they would take a serious dark turn and send her off to the Bad Place.
It would actually be pretty neat if season one ends with her being found out and season two is set in the bad place.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Given how little anybody cares about people who didn't make it to The Good Place and how 2 of the 3 pairs of soul mates we've seen so far seem to be annoyed by each other, I'm guess she actually is in The Bad Place, or at least A Less Good Place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Given how little anybody cares about people who didn't make it to The Good Place and how 2 of the 3 pairs of soul mates we've seen so far seem to be annoyed by each other, I'm guess she actually is in The Bad Place, or at least A Less Good Place

I think that's supposed to just be because Ted Danson is bad at his job.

• Locked thread