Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Air is lava! posted:

I think it's more that incomprehensible, convoluted nonsense is par for the course when it comes to philosophical papers. Did you ever read Kants works? To be honest I didn't either, but I skimmed through them and know a few people who did.

Kant's writing is so dense and incomprehensible, Kant himself apologizes for how bad his philosophical writing is. In fact, if you read Kant's non-philosophical writings, you wouldn't even know it's the same guy.

Episode 3 definitely sold me completely. Having two Schur shows to look forward to each week is such a treat. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Man, I really should have expected this show to take a few pages out of my favorite play (No Exit, for the curious) but somehow I didn't see any of this coming.

Season 2 is gonna be so drat good!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Remember that his writing reflects his character and his indecisiveness.
If after a thousand pages of of confusingly laid out philosophy the next part begins with "Of course the exact opposite of all of this may also be true." it's fair to say that he's a bad writer. But so was Kant and anyone who disagrees there is delusional.

Kant is actually pretty intelligible and easy to read when he's not writing about metaphysics.

Everything you know is getting turned upside-down!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
On the other hand, Adam Scott did show up in the tape for the middle place, and he clearly was in on the whole thing

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ideally you'd watch No Exit because it's a play, but it's a modern classic and shares almost the exact same premise as this show (key difference being that in No Exit, the audience does not know that the characters are in the afterlife)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

raditts posted:

So wait... Was Michael originally designing a neighborhood for hell before he came up with "the good place"? Do they get special torture neighborhoods normally or something?
He said that they usually just design the place and move on, which seems odd if Adam Scott is usually the guy that runs things and tortures people and stuff. I would wonder if a Good Place exists at all, if they hadn't established that Janet was from one of them.

It seems that literally every single character except for Elenor/Jason/Chidi/Tahani (and Janet) is in on the joke. Just like how Shawn is one of Michael's co-workers (well, more accurately boss) who played a fake part for kicks, Trevor is probably another one of Michael's colleagues who wanted to jump in on the fun train.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Chidi's portrayal of a philosophy professor is wholly unrealistic and unbelievable because he's not a raging alcoholic

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

blue squares posted:

I'm rewatching the pilot and I'm very impressed with Jason's ability to be silent for so long. Bit out of character given what we learn

Maybe it's just me, but when I rewatched the first few episodes, every time Jason was addressed, there seemed to be a look of suppressed panic on his face.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lampsacus posted:

-I've ordered a bunch of books on moral philosophy THANKS CHIDI

Read the Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals first, and then breathe a giant sigh of relief as you realize nothing else will be as difficult as that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

The Office, Parks & Recreation, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Literally the only reason I took a look at this show is because it has Schur''s name on it, because man did the trailers undersell the show. I just had now idea by how much.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
But do yourself a favor and skip the first season

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Your Taint posted:

Ok, so if Sean is Michael's boss what was that conversation they had about "I bet your boss would be mad" in the bedroom? That conversation doesn't make sense if they were boss/employee and were both in on it.

My guess is that Shawn is in a superior position to Michael, but in another department, and thus not really his boss despite having a degree of authority.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just marathoned the entire season with a few friends last night too, some had seen it, some hadn't.

Those of us who knew the twist had to keep quiet, but drat there's a lot of stuff that makes way more sense when you know. The new people loved the hell out of the show, and there really are some jokes that are way funnier when you have a buddy to dissect them with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The first time I heard the budhole joke I really didn't like it. It felt too contrived, and I thought I could see the writers really trying to cram in a really bad wordplay.

On rewatching it, I came to appreciate the joke because Jason really is just that loving dumb

• Locked thread