Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

100k hours is over 11 years.
8 years to go so see if that guy remembers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd say given the state of the enshittificaition of tech and the internet he'd be lucky if SA was still alive in 8 years.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

I am still waiting for that promised XCOM 2 LP you promised after all the DLC was out :V

I didn't expect them to put in an entire expanded version *on top* of the Alien Rulers/Mechs/Bradford's Sweater DLCs. Really blindsided me there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

Given how he wrote and self published book that was ostensibly about how much he wanted to shoot up his high school because everyone made fun of him, I have a strong inkling he will remember, and we will in fact see wes again in 2032.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

remember when khad got 100k and then immediately came back when his time was up...to get banned again

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Planning on showing off Kenshi.

Not sure about the audio quality overall. Seems decent on my end by my sound setup is jank. Too quiet, too loud, too much static? Can't really tell. Commentary too mumbly? I have to keep my mic gain low and boost the audio in editing to avoid picking up too much keyboard/mouse noises among other things so I'll take any advice anyone has - audio or otherwise.

It's here if anyone wants to take a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da_Kom8fWck

Seems fine to me at a brief listen but I'm also a bad judge of that sort of thing. Mainly wanted to quote this to make sure it doesn't get lost in the convo, especially since it was at the bottom of the page.

I liked the way you're introducing it though, the bit I played of Kenshi was a trip!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Junpei posted:

I'd say given the state of the enshittificaition of tech and the internet he'd be lucky if SA was still alive in 8 years.

These forums have been dying for over 20 years now, with no end in sight. We'll be shitposting from the geriatric wards.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Speedball posted:

I didn't expect them to put in an entire expanded version *on top* of the Alien Rulers/Mechs/Bradford's Sweater DLCs. Really blindsided me there.

The funny part is that it really did skew the tone a lot closer to your XCOM 1 LP in being basically a slightly-more-militarized superhero story (Mind-reading mutants who fight aliens!) what with the rebel clones and the psychic monks and all that jazz.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If we're doing 'memberberries, was there some kind of Super Mario RPG video making fun of Gamingo, or was that some other LP superstar-still-in-chrysalis? I should've bookmarked the LP funny videos, but alas :smith: There was also one of Sally (?) as a blind cave salamander to some smooth tunes, or something?

It's me, I am posting from the geriatric dementia ward :corsair:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

remember when khad got 100k and then immediately came back when his time was up...to get banned again

Please tell me the story.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The images for Gamingos t-shirt store weren't saved on the archive. Although from the looks of things, his store was more about him getting the cuts of the profits from a referral link.

Edit: or I'll just post the link myself:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150225142700/http://www.richardgamingo.com/t-shirt-shop/

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 11, 2024

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rappaport posted:

If we're doing 'memberberries, was there some kind of Super Mario RPG video making fun of Gamingo, or was that some other LP superstar-still-in-chrysalis? I should've bookmarked the LP funny videos, but alas :smith: There was also one of Sally (?) as a blind cave salamander to some smooth tunes, or something?

those happened. the Gamingo RPG vids exist separarely somewhere. maybe Danaru saved them?

the other one was from the PlayStation Home LP. CJacobs delievered the killing blow to the thread with that post haha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rappaport posted:

found the second one for you at least:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3710528&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=0#post443535902

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember when Les Beardly did those Super Mario World romhack Retsus which were really just cyberbullying children, those are kind of a rough watch nowadays

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its a shame that the big C took out Id before he could play Unicorn Overlord, I'm sure he'd appreciate this

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leal posted:

Its a shame that the big C took out Id before he could play Unicorn Overlord, I'm sure he'd appreciate this

yeah rip

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fedule posted:

Anyway, there's actually a better but far less interesting and funny reason for there not being a mod challenge in LP since then; it's actually really difficult to make a mod challenge funny. Like. At minimum you need someone you want to ban or at least punish harshly over their bullshit. But also someone you want to potentially let off. Then you need a challenge that's appropriate to said bullshit that needs to be, you know, doable but just challenging enough to, you know, be a challenge worth overcoming for clemency, but also not something so specific that other posters can't also compete. Finally, the whole endeavour, including the competition itself, has to be funny. How that works exactly depends on the context but like. This is LP. We don't really have very many contexts.

It's really very rare for all of these elements to come together in LP. Hell it's rare enough we get the first and most fundamental element at all - the guy. LP is quiet and drama free for months at a time. And when something does come along, it is invariably either a minor dispute over spoilers or... the Pokémon Amputee Sex Slave ROM Hack LP Request Guy. Or wesflarger. Or... The Dark Id.

Also mod challenges aren't really, like, a thing across the forums anymore. The culture had long since shifted away from that kind of forums content creation and if punishments are called for they're usually pretty direct and swift. And if reactions aren't fast enough, well, see you in Forums Court SAD. Which is arguably sort of the replacement content, in a Jerry Springer-esque fashion.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Meowywitch posted:

lmao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what happened with khad, all i know is that he was annoying on the metroid prime lets play playing ghostbuster music and poo poo

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember when Les Beardly did those Super Mario World romhack Retsus which were really just cyberbullying children, those are kind of a rough watch nowadays

To be fair that was most of retsupurae, that was the whole point of it. Like, not to target children specifically but if you're aiming at videos which are technically incompetent and/or have terrible commentary that's just going to happen.

I think even at the time people were aware enough to say 'I'm glad youtube wasn't around when I was a kid'.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Waffleman_ posted:

Pretty sure he deleted those years ago unless they're unlisted or something.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Happy Landfill posted:

Man, I was like, this close to suggesting we create a memorial gang tag for Id :downs: Everybody laugh at me

Counterpoint, make one anyways but mocking him

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fedule posted:

Anyway, there's actually a better but far less interesting and funny reason for there not being a mod challenge in LP since then; it's actually really difficult to make a mod challenge funny. Like. At minimum you need someone you want to ban or at least punish harshly over their bullshit. But also someone you want to potentially let off. Then you need a challenge that's appropriate to said bullshit that needs to be, you know, doable but just challenging enough to, you know, be a challenge worth overcoming for clemency, but also not something so specific that other posters can't also compete. Finally, the whole endeavour, including the competition itself, has to be funny. How that works exactly depends on the context but like. This is LP. We don't really have very many contexts.

It's really very rare for all of these elements to come together in LP. Hell it's rare enough we get the first and most fundamental element at all - the guy. LP is quiet and drama free for months at a time. And when something does come along, it is invariably either a minor dispute over spoilers or... the Pokémon Amputee Sex Slave ROM Hack LP Request Guy. Or wesflarger. Or... The Dark Id.

I absolutely cannot believe I forgot this but Star Citizen threads had a mod challenge (pretty sure it was a mod one) for someone to bake a bunch of Star Citizen themed cookies.

It waa fun.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Pretty sure he deleted those years ago unless they're unlisted or something.

Looks like everything here is gone, yeah (including most of the videos they were based on)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the post/thread that netted wes his much deserved 100k'er was moved to an unviewable admin-only part of the forums because he just snapped and started posting stuff that could be construed as overt threats against me and my family. Over a 6 hour probation, let's not forget that part.

It's always the sixers that drive people completely loving bonkers. Sure, they won't be happy about longer ones, but sixers really push some kind of insanity button in unhinged people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sixers do that because generally a longer punishment at least feels warranted in some capacity to the recipient because the transgression is usually more severe. Meanwhile, six hours can often not even be enough time to really cool off for some people.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geemer posted:

It's always the sixers that drive people completely loving bonkers. Sure, they won't be happy about longer ones, but sixers really push some kind of insanity button in unhinged people.

Actually I was slightly off, it was a one day probation, but still. 24 hours of not being able to post on one website on the internet = a lifetime of vengeance sworn, I guess? Mainly though it was because we'd collectively decided between Fedule, Sally and myself that sixers were useless wrist slaps so anything truly worthy of a probation should just get kicked up to a 12 or 24 hour one instead.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Many different users state that they do not like or want me posting

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Counterpoint, make one anyways but mocking him
"Enter the Id-Verse" in the "Spider-Verse" font with a slice of TDI's Yoko Taro avatar as a background.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

"Enter the Id-Verse" in the "Spider-Verse" font with a slice of TDI's Yoko Taro avatar as a background.

Anyone can wear the Emile mask.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
With people talking about old, bad lets-players I am reminded of one in particular. I don't know if it was some kind of mania or if the forum was infested by hipsters or there was something I was seriously not getting but there was one that never put any actual effort into their LPs and they had an annoying loud dog and everyone kept making fanart of that dog. It might even have been one of those we've already been talking about but I remember the dog fan-art and nobody else seems to have brought that up from what I've noticed.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Tombot posted:

With people talking about old, bad lets-players I am reminded of one in particular. I don't know if it was some kind of mania or if the forum was infested by hipsters or there was something I was seriously not getting but there was one that never put any actual effort into their LPs and they had an annoying loud dog and everyone kept making fanart of that dog. It might even have been one of those we've already been talking about but I remember the dog fan-art and nobody else seems to have brought that up from what I've noticed.

Tell the story. I am loving this poo poo.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
There's not much for me to tell, because I can't remember what they were called. What I do recall however is that eventually even the hipster cheerleader squad got sick of the sloppiness and lack of effort and I'm not sure what happened after that.
And I'm not entirely sure if it's the same person or group but there was a fanart made of Indiana Jones wielding (from memory) "Golden diamond encrusted exploding dildos", so if that's the same person and it gets your memory going then there's that. As of now I'm drawing a blank as I don't have archive access.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like TDI was just taking some advice from Twitter

Time to head to Tuscan, Arizonia and start looking for Jackie Daytona...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mega64 posted:

Seems fine to me at a brief listen but I'm also a bad judge of that sort of thing. Mainly wanted to quote this to make sure it doesn't get lost in the convo, especially since it was at the bottom of the page.

I liked the way you're introducing it though, the bit I played of Kenshi was a trip!

Thanks for checking it out.

With nothing egregious there on the technical side I should be ready to go.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyone can wear the Emile mask.

"Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mask."

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Caim is a hell of a drug, you LP Drakengard once and next thing you know you've created an entire fake life based off him...

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

Leal posted:

wait, what? I've been lurking for a while before registering and this is the first I'm seeing about it. I loved his stuff on the lparchive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

midnight77 posted:

wait, what? I've been lurking for a while before registering and this is the first I'm seeing about it. I loved his stuff on the lparchive.

What happened to TDI is... a real tragedy, all right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

midnight77 posted:

There was like 20 pages of discussion about TDI in this thread less than a month ago. Short version: he claimed to be dying of cancer, then it came out that he's been lying about his personal life for years (including e.g. making up children he supposedly had). Plenty of details in the backscroll, go read it if you're curious.