Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
alternatively, just make up poo poo wholesale. did you know Minesweeper could have a deep, enthralling story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blind Sally posted:

alternatively, just make up poo poo wholesale. did you know Minesweeper could have a deep, enthralling story?

A shame about that crossover ending coming out of nowhere and not being as funny as the lead-up, though.

LawlessPlay
Aug 28, 2017

Combat Lobster posted:

Having dead air isn't really a bad thing, in fact, you can sometimes use dead air to your benefit. For example I make it a personal rule to never talk over what I deem to be 'important set pieces'. This could range anywhere from cutscenes (both speaking and text-only), specific audible cues like a shift in soundtrack to indicate something is happening, and even whole boss fights. I do this to allow the game to speak for itself rather than me speak for it. (Also because sometimes I'm not in the mood to have to think of something to say.)

If you're having trouble finding things to say, it might help to take some time to get to know the game you're playing before you decide to record it. It becomes less of a juggle when you know what you're doing as oppose to figuring out both the game and your commentary.

It really isn't going to do you any good to chase after those Day One LPs, especially when you're starting out; because while it might seem like a good idea to play the SEO game in the short term you're ultimately just going to end up with a subpar result and nothing to really show for it. Trust me, you don't wanna end up like the sad sacks over at r/letsplay who keep chanting "Why am I not growing an audience!?" Like I said, you're better off in the long term to LP something you're familiar with and have strong feelings for, because the quality of your commentary will definitely improve when you know what you're going to say and how to say it.

This is exactly why I dropped the 10 quid. I was originally doing exactly what you suggest when it comes to letting the game speak during important sections. But sadly I think I took some advice from r/letsplay too seriously and changed my approach.

It's not that I'm chasing day one lp's just for the sake of a lp. Every game I've played is because I really wanted to play it and I figured I might as well record it. That's actually how my hellblade lp came about. I said I was going to play it and a friend suggested I record it. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the process so I decided to keep going and I might as well go full ham and try to get good. But I get your point. If I play a game I know it can be a great exercise for me to focus entirely on my commentary.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Blind Sally posted:

Rock paper scissors had one of the best LPs in forums history.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrixNebulosa posted:

A shame about that crossover ending coming out of nowhere and not being as funny as the lead-up, though.

:negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sorry, it was a good LP otherwise!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Xander77 posted:

Rock paper scissors had one of the best LPs in forums history.

Seriously. If any of you haven't, give it a read.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Good gravy that was one HELL of a ride! :vince:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

LawlessPlay posted:

It's not that I'm chasing day one lp's just for the sake of a lp. Every game I've played is because I really wanted to play it and I figured I might as well record it.

In my experience, this is probably the least awful among the very worst reasons to do an LP. There are few games that are entertaining to simply watch someone play, and fewer still that are more entertaining to watch than to play. In the time someone spends watching you have fun, they could go play the game and have their own fun. What the LP loses in interactivity (i.e. the "game" part of the video game), it needs to make up in some other quality that your commentary adds. That can be pure entertainment, if you're entertaining enough on your own merits (this is the Game Grumps style, where the game tends to be there just to give the viewers something to watch while the players talk about random garbage); information that's not necessarily present in the game, if you know either the game or its subject well enough to offer that insight (see, for example, Geop's Assassin's Creed LP and the history lessons therein); advice to players, if you have enough of it to offer. The thing I've noticed while LPing is that I tend to play games very differently when I'm recording them to show off as opposed to when I'm only enjoying them myself. I try to vary play techniques rather than sticking with what I know works. I explore things more thoroughly, even if I know it will require me to edit out the boring parts later. I pause for long periods when I know I'm going to want to say something. I might even play through parts of the game multiple times because I need to record the results of the various choices.

Blind LPs have their niche, but as has been said, you need to be able to approach the game for LP value up front, without knowing anything about it. That takes some skills that not everyone has, a devoted following that can find "Let me grab the walkthrough AGAIN" amusing as a running gag, or careful preparation. Likely all three. There's a pretty healthy market for "Let's Try" videos where someone spends a certain period of time playing the game, then stops recording and finishes it on their own time if they want to, which is considerably easier because you don't need to finish the game or stretch anything. You might give that a try.

Basically, I think what you're trying to do is a flawed goal from the start, so your best bet is to aim for something easier, develop skills, find a style that works, and then re-evaluate whether you want to try doing what you've been trying, or just keep working the new way. There's nothing that says you can't just keep plugging away at blind LPs, but there's also nothing that says people are going to like them, or that you're going to improve much that way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Put another way, the essence of a Let's Play is a presentation, or a performance. In either case you have to put a lot of work into deciding what you're going to add to the game, and how you're going to add it. You don't get to just coast on the game's merits.

LawlessPlay
Aug 28, 2017

Nidoking posted:

In my experience, this is probably the least awful among the very worst reasons to do an LP. There are few games that are entertaining to simply watch someone play, and fewer still that are more entertaining to watch than to play. In the time someone spends watching you have fun, they could go play the game and have their own fun. What the LP loses in interactivity (i.e. the "game" part of the video game), it needs to make up in some other quality that your commentary adds. That can be pure entertainment, if you're entertaining enough on your own merits (this is the Game Grumps style, where the game tends to be there just to give the viewers something to watch while the players talk about random garbage); information that's not necessarily present in the game, if you know either the game or its subject well enough to offer that insight (see, for example, Geop's Assassin's Creed LP and the history lessons therein); advice to players, if you have enough of it to offer. The thing I've noticed while LPing is that I tend to play games very differently when I'm recording them to show off as opposed to when I'm only enjoying them myself. I try to vary play techniques rather than sticking with what I know works. I explore things more thoroughly, even if I know it will require me to edit out the boring parts later. I pause for long periods when I know I'm going to want to say something. I might even play through parts of the game multiple times because I need to record the results of the various choices.

Blind LPs have their niche, but as has been said, you need to be able to approach the game for LP value up front, without knowing anything about it. That takes some skills that not everyone has, a devoted following that can find "Let me grab the walkthrough AGAIN" amusing as a running gag, or careful preparation. Likely all three. There's a pretty healthy market for "Let's Try" videos where someone spends a certain period of time playing the game, then stops recording and finishes it on their own time if they want to, which is considerably easier because you don't need to finish the game or stretch anything. You might give that a try.

Basically, I think what you're trying to do is a flawed goal from the start, so your best bet is to aim for something easier, develop skills, find a style that works, and then re-evaluate whether you want to try doing what you've been trying, or just keep working the new way. There's nothing that says you can't just keep plugging away at blind LPs, but there's also nothing that says people are going to like them, or that you're going to improve much that way.

Thanks for the advice man. I agree with most of what your saying and Let's Try's have actually been on my mind before. I actually have a great real life example of what your saying because a friend of mine (the guy who wanted me to do a lets play) hit over a thousand subs a month ago and is about to finish his first lp of digimon world 1, a game he has extensive knowledge of and loves. He did a great job presenting everything the game had to offer and was able to grow a small audience from that.

For myself I just don't think I'd enjoy the process as much if I didn't do it blind. Either way I'm definitely committed to finishing the two lp's I'm making right now. After that I'll have a good think about the content I'm making. I'm basically treating these let's plays as training exercises to get my reps in while I actively look for advice and criticisms to speed my progress up and I do feel like it's helping.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I did an LP for one and only one reason: to swindle Bacter into playing a terrible ancient game with me that he never would have otherwise. I completed my objective and didn't really care about building a channel or raising subscribers or whatever. It's fine if building a channel is your objective, but there's a wide array of reasons you might make an LP, and you get to pick yours.

You'll never make a living doing this unless you're very charismatic (to a given audience), treat it like a full time job, AND get monstrously lucky, so as long as you're treating it as a hobby, as long as you're getting what you want out of the deal, then go nuts, man. I don't like watching blind LPs, but other folks do and if you enjoy making them, then stick with that for sure.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

AlphaKretin posted:

There was that one guy who tried to repost OFS's FFTA LP.

whoa what happened here?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It was over 2 years ago now, but it's pretty self-explanatory really.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it was just a troll post. nothing more, nothing less.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Someone give me the go ahead to make a thread please.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

This game

was made by these people

15 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, internet.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
What would be the best way to do a Saints Row LP without getting copyright claimed into oblivion? The simplest answer would be to just turn the music volume all the way down, but is there any way to know which parts I'd need to do that for and which songs I can get away with before recording. Some of the best parts of the later games come from the music, and I'd rather not take that away unless I have to. Like, I know there's no drat way I can keep in Power from the Penthouse assault in 3, but I'd like to keep the sing-along parts in at least.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

What would be the best way to do a Saints Row LP without getting copyright claimed into oblivion? The simplest answer would be to just turn the music volume all the way down, but is there any way to know which parts I'd need to do that for and which songs I can get away with before recording. Some of the best parts of the later games come from the music, and I'd rather not take that away unless I have to. Like, I know there's no drat way I can keep in Power from the Penthouse assault in 3, but I'd like to keep the sing-along parts in at least.

replace them with unclaimable midi versions of the tracks, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCkeZXzp73Q

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

replace them with unclaimable midi versions of the tracks, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCkeZXzp73Q

:mad:

I don't know if the end result would be the same for everyone and for every song, but it seems like getting copyright claims would, at worst, prevent those videos from being monetized by you. If that's OK, then just say "gently caress it." If that doesn't work for you, then do midi versions.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Jamesman posted:

I don't know if the end result would be the same for everyone and for every song, but it seems like getting copyright claims would, at worst, prevent those videos from being monetized by you. If that's OK, then just say "gently caress it." If that doesn't work for you, then do midi versions.

I don't have much first-hand youtube experience, but I've heard stories of youtube muting all the audio on a video because of a couple minutes of copyrighted music.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Classic music stations are good for general gameplay. MIDI versions of licensed songs that don't make it through the copyright flags are also good to have on hand.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ZiegeDame posted:

Way I did it for star wars was upload a copyrighted version and upload a version from a DOS game. You'll know when you upload exactly what timestamps are copyrighted.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just so I'm clear here, this would entail recording a mission, uploading it to youtube, then re-recording the mission with the sound turned off if the first video gets claimed. Or just doing two takes every time a licensed song comes up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Someone give me the go ahead to make a thread please.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

This game

was made by these people

15 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, internet.

Looks too. :justpost:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ZiegeDame posted:

My approach when I was doing GTA IV was "keep all the music in and give no fucks". This may or may not work well for you because copyright stuff on Youtube is a goddamn mess, but I only had to re-upload one episode out of 40+.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

Youtube actually has a page where you can look up the copyright policies for specific songs before uploading, although the only way I know of to find the link is to get a copyright claim. Here's the page so you don't have to go that far.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ZiegeDame posted:

Just so I'm clear here, this would entail recording a mission, uploading it to youtube, then re-recording the mission with the sound turned off if the first video gets claimed. Or just doing two takes every time a licensed song comes up.

Couldn't you manually silence the audio of the copyrighted parts? Even if you're recording commentary while playing it should be in a separate recording from the game's audio anyway. Just record pure gameplay to learn which parts to silence.

Not that this isn't all incredibly dumb but, well, welcome to Youtube!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Nidoking posted:

Youtube actually has a page where you can look up the copyright policies for specific songs before uploading, although the only way I know of to find the link is to get a copyright claim. Here's the page so you don't have to go that far.

Beautiful, thanks much

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

No, just do a little editing. Just swap out the audio in post. If you're doing live commentary but not recording in two separate audio tracks, you're doing it wrong.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

No, just do a little editing. Just swap out the audio in post. If you're doing live commentary but not recording in two separate audio tracks, you're doing it wrong.

While I can record commentary and game audio in separate files, I don't believe OBS has to the functionality to split in-game music into a different track from in-game sound effects and dialog.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

While I can record commentary and game audio in separate files, I don't believe OBS has to the functionality to split in-game music into a different track from in-game sound effects and dialog.

Correct, it cannot do that. You wouldn't be able to keep any dialog in a timecode relevant to the copyright cliam in your non-copyright copy of the video, unless you have access to the dialog without music playing. So just turn subtitles on or try keeping only the moments with dialog in, pitch shift it if you have to.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Or you could get REALLY fancy and get a clean copy of the offending music, invert it, and mix with the original track to cancel out the music while leaving everything else fairly intact. But that's probably more work than you really want to do.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Or you could get REALLY fancy and get a clean copy of the offending music, invert it, and mix with the original track to cancel out the music while leaving everything else fairly intact. But that's probably more work than you really want to do.

I've tried that and pitch shifting, it only works sometimes and can be extremely offensive to the ears. Fuckin' Ewoks...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Screw MIDIs, hum and sing the music yourself.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
You could always choose a different video host, like dailymotion is pretty lax on that stuff. Or there's the more obvious choice of pewtube.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Nah, I'm pretty committed to finding the most ridiculous version of Power I can at this point. I've got plenty of time before it becomes an issue.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Screw MIDIs, hum and sing the music yourself.

Play the music on a kazoo, and train your pet to sing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

What would be the best way to do a Saints Row LP without getting copyright claimed into oblivion?

you don't

which isn't to say you don't do the LP just a lot of people here are suggesting MIDIs but even then sometimes they're just good enough to get flagged anyway

let the claims roll :getin:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got lucky on my first Lego City video, so when the licensed song played over the end credits I tried to cover it up with commentary. A desperate move :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm still, as in just got one ten minutes ago, getting content IDs on my Saints Row 4 LP that ended months ago. I even turned off the music audio for licensed stuff and it still manages to find poo poo to flag :psyduck: