Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

drygear posted:

Ok so I went and watched the rest of the first video. I like the commentary style but to me it overall feels a little too fast or busy or something. You're saying a lot of things and there's a lot going on in the game and it's switching back and forth between versions and it's hard for me to follow it all so I find myself becoming disengaged and not really absorbing any of it. It feels like a jumble of jumping around and frantic voices.
I should point out that there are a lot of movies that I tend to find cluttered and unenjoyable that everyone else loves, so take my feedback with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and see if I can slow things down starting with Episode 3, but there's a lot to talk about with this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
I might have been feeling kind of crabby too. I think something that would help would be explaining a little more about what's going on in the game since it's hard to pay attention to what the game is telling you with you guys talking. Maybe some narration about what you're doing and why. If someone says something important or you find an important document take the time to emphasize it. So yeah I guess that might mean slowing down a little while you record to give yourself some extra time to talk about everything.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Videos are working, screenshots are looking nice, and I have all of my games together. Nice.

Just wanted to query about the quality of this opening post as well as whether it needs any additions, and I should be set to go at some point in the near future.

First Post.

Second Post.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 20, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Your spoiler policy doesn't actually tell people what they can and can't discuss. You should probably be clearer about that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My mistake. Fixed that.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

drygear posted:

I guess that might mean slowing down a little while you record to give yourself some extra time to talk about everything.

Well I recorded all my footage months ago, but I'll be sure to try and slow down a bit in future commentaries.

Part 2 is a bit better at explaining what's going on in the game, by the way.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, I've got a question for the subforum at large. To preface, I think we have way too many stickied threads in Let's Play (currently there are nine with the recently forum-wide announcement, but eight explicit to LP). I think they can be condensed or unsticked to a far more manageable number. It's been a complaint I've seen surface now and then, so I thought I'd pose it to the posters who use this subforum.

Should we cut down on the number of stickied threads in LP?

There doesn't have to be a specific way of doing it. I thought I'd float the idea here in the Sandcastle and get a feel for whether or not other posters still share the same sentiment as me. We could always then have a vote, and from there, decide one what to unsticky or condense.

My own idea for a possible sticky reformation would be as follows:
  • keep Tech Support Fort thread as is
  • keep The Sandcastle, but fold Co-Commentation Station and New LP Thread into it--I think the Sandcastle could work just fine as a place to ask for co-commentators, and it's doubled as a place to post New LPs in the past, why not again?
  • keep The Rules Thread
  • combine LP Recommendations and LP Requests
  • unsticky Stream Thread--it's a popular enough megathread that it'd be on the front page of LP frequently anyways

This would cut the number of stickied threads in half, and I think this would have the effect of making the front page of LP look a little less cluttered or intimidating to potential new posters. That said, if everyone's happy with the number of stickied threads, then why change anything?

So, should we cut down on the number of stickied threads in LP?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Personally I'd rather keep the New LPs thread as its own thing, because it would suck big time to come post an new LP and someone comes in after wanting to discuss something like 'which commentary style should I use' for a page and half.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Add more sticky threads, imho.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I think you could do the following:

1) Combine recommendation and request;
2) Keep tech support;
3) Unsticky streaming (it's just advertising with no discussion);
4) Keep new LPs for announcement purposes; and
5) Toss co-commentation into sandcastle. It's pretty dead unfortunately.

Rules are for nerds

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Tech Support is fine on its own.

I agree with keeping New LPs stickied and its own thread. Good for letting people know since new LPs aren't like super high traffic on this forum.

Recommendations and request I can see overlapping nicely, so I think combining those can work.

Don't see the need to keep streaming stickied.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Count another one for unsticky-ing Stream thread and combining Requests/Recommendations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

+n for unstickying the stream thread and combining recommendation & request

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GrandmaParty posted:

2) Keep tech support;

Rules are for nerds

I agree with this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

GrandmaParty posted:

2) Keep tech support;

Rules are for nerds

This is a good plan. Agreeing with this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I say this every time something like this comes up, but the New LPs thread really isn't needed, since there's an RSS feed for it. I've even set up an IFTTT recipe to send a notification to your phone every time the RSS feed updates with a new LP.

Other than that, I agree with GrandmaParty's outline.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You don't get an outline or an elevator pitch with an RSS feed though. Aside from getting a notification, having a dedicate announcement thread is better in every way

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Very few people use RSS feeds these days.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I say this every time something like this comes up, but the New LPs thread really isn't needed, since there's an RSS feed for it. I've even set up an IFTTT recipe to send a notification to your phone every time the RSS feed updates with a new LP.

Not just that, the bot in the SALP Discord makes an announcement in a special Discord channel whenever a new LP is posted.

Then again, not everyone uses Discord or rss, so it's good to have the thread around.

I don't care about the amount of stickies because I do all my thread checking from my bookmarks page.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kheldarn posted:

I've never used an RSS feed in my life.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeh, telling people that they don't need a thread in a forum because there's an RSS feed is a weird thing to say in 2019.

I'd personally be in favor of rolling the Sandcastle, requests and Tech Support into one thread. Sandcastle and Tech Support kinda have a lot of crossover anyway and I'd hate asking for feedback here only to be told that I should go to another thread to fix one specific thing not that this happens a lot or anything, but the point stands. It's not like any of those threads are extremely active either.

Leaving New LPs separate is an obvious, thing. It's great for people to have a place to advertise their stuff but I'd hate to have that place be used for other discussions too. It'd bury some stuff and deter me from using it to shill my stuff at all.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The gently caress is an rss feed?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rename the new LP thread to The rear end Feed

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GrandmaParty posted:

2) Keep tech support;
5) Toss co-commentation into sandcastle. It's pretty dead unfortunately
This, but roll Tech Support into the Sandcastle. Make it the all-in-one "I'm making an LP and need help" thread. I think you might also be able to get away with having New LP, Recommendation, and Request as one thread? The recommendation and request threads aren't as busy as the Sandcastle so new LP notifications won't get buried in chatter about "how do I make LP" as easily.

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

GrandmaParty posted:

2) Keep tech support;

Another vote in agreement for this system + folding tech support into the sandcastle. I like having the new LP thread on its own for seeing what's come up in the past few days when I'm busy with work, so keeping that separate is nice. But recommendations & requests go together well, as do co-commentation & sandcastle & tech support, so I think condensing those together in those combinations could decrease the bloat on the front page significantly.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe allow people to post streaming notifications in the New LP thread?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think that would really hurt discoverability on new LPs.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, stream notifications in the new LP thread would bury every new LP with dozens of "Hey I'm gonna stream now" posts. The new LP thread would become completely unusable.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Commander Keene posted:

There are people who advertise their stream EVERY time they stream, sometimes almost every day.

Wouldn't work.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

There are people who advertise their stream EVERY time they stream, sometimes almost every day.

Wouldn't work.

Yeah, look at the total number of posts in each thread compared to their lifetimes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If I want to know when someone streams I will sub to their channel. Please don't put it in new LPs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Commander Keene posted:

the streaming thread already does this and is posted in frequently enough that it'd regularly be on the frontpage. i wouldn't agree to combine it with the New LP Thread. it'd overwhelm the thread to serve a redundant purpose.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OK, bad idea, I guess.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
worth discussing, so i'm glad you floated it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm largely in agreement with:
  • Combine the Sandcastle and Tech Support threads
  • Combine the Request and Recommendation threads*
  • Unstickie the Stream and Co-Comm threads**
  • Keep the Rules and New LP threads as-is

* This one I have slight reservations with because I feel it may muddle the intent and purpose of each individual aspect of the threads in question. There's too much room for confusion between people requesting LPs be done and people recommending LPs that have already been done for them to be slammed into a single thread, in my opinion. But I'm open to suggestions.

** The former is evergreen on the front page anyway and the latter has long since outlived its purpose and in some cases did more harm than good thanks to some bad actors. I think if anyone's looking for new co-commentators these days they can either use the Sandcastle or the SALP Discord.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I fear a lot of requests might get missed among recommendation discussion, and vice versa. Even worse would be the folks reporting that a game is in progress being mistaken for a recommendation of said LP. I don’t think that particular combination would work and whatever unlucky sod that has to deal with that would not have a great time of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm a bit wary about combining the Sandcastle and Tech Support Fort. They've got slightly different posters in each, I'm kind of worried conversations about one may drown out the other, especially since the Sandcastle already doubles as general LP chat, and combining the two means one massive OP.

Good with the rest.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

nine-gear crow posted:

Combine the Request and Recommendation threads*

I have some reservations about this, for reasons already stated (confusing between requests and recommendations). I think there needs to be some clear way of formatting requests or recommendations (and hopefully keep an updated list on the first post) so that none are missed. Given that I'm scanning the request list for things to LP, this would be super helpful for me.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I feel like requests and recommendations should be pretty easy to tell apart at a glance, based solely on "Person X is doing a great job with [game]" versus "I would really like to see [game]." Plus, I can't imagine any future version of the thread, even a merged thread, wouldn't keep the request list around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mega64 posted:

I'm a bit wary about combining the Sandcastle and Tech Support Fort. They've got slightly different posters in each, I'm kind of worried conversations about one may drown out the other, especially since the Sandcastle already doubles as general LP chat, and combining the two means one massive OP.

Good with the rest.

I'm with you on this one. The issues of tech support are real different from meta-LP chat.

Here I want to be all "Can I show feet if people pay enough?" and that's not a good tech support topic.