Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Nearest neighbor works better with older, lower-color pixel art. For modern stuff like this, which has both text antialiasing and a ton of gradients in the backgrounds that were clearly scaled down for resolution, it's kind of a mess.

For what it's worth, I think the 2x picture in the previous post is totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

EDIT: The test post I put here has since been deprecated. Thread coming soon!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 9, 2017

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Dolash posted:

I'm not a regular sandcastle contributor and don't have much experience with video LPs, but it sounds okay. The second guy's microphone is a bit rough but nothing terrible. The pace was a bit slow, though, especially at the start of the video while you're checking out mechanics. I assume the clip's from a little bit into the run so maybe the start of the game is a stronger hook. I don't know if you want to edit it down a bit to something more "highlight reel", although pacing the videos to end with the punchier scenes where possible rather than some of the more mundane bits like going back to save might help. Then again, if you're going in blind it'll be harder to guess where the big scenes are and when it's safe to cut.

Yeah, unfortunately without spoiling myself I don't have a ton of control over when the exciting parts happen, so that's why it goes save to save (mostly). I picked this one both because this is where the game starts to open up and because it had a very slow part and an action part. I'm pretty sure this is the longest we stay in one location, and I've been trying to keep things moving a little more as we go on. I'll consider editing a bit more, but that's hard to do without making the game incomprehensible.

Thank you for taking time out to watch it!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

If you haven't even made anything yet, it's totally fine. No rules against posting an LP multiple places at once. It's mostly just a measure to stop people from spamming new threads with like 30 video links.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's a significantly lower pitch on your PS4 recording for sure. Doesn't look like a framerate issue though, so I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

So I've been dipping my toes into the muddy waters of the Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 Collection and I'd like to get people's opinions before we get too far in:

edit: it's gone now

In particular, if anyone knows of a program with higher-quality audio chat than Discord (their video is fine), I'd like to know because I seem to be reaching the limits of what I can do with its output and I'm trying to get everything done without having to manage separate files for everything through Audacity. Thanks!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 4, 2018

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I have separate recordings, on separate tracks, with OBS's audio filters running on each. I'm asking if it's possible to get a better source live over the internet. Could you at least check out what I've got before telling me it's hopeless?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's not local, no. The way I have it set up here is the game audio, my mic and the call all get recorded on separate audio tracks into OBS; the call runs into a virtual cable and I route it to OBS and my headphones from there. In OBS I then have filters set up onto each track to compress, reduce noise (only on mics), gate silence and then adjust it close to what I want the final volume to be. This saves time otherwise spent syncing and setting up and running filters in post, which adds up fast when dealing with hours of videos. Plus, OBS's noise reduction and gate are WAY better than Audacity's, which leaves tons of unwanted noises in that I'd have to spend more time manually removing. And Audacity's batch processing was designed by a crazy person and is borderline incomprehensible. At least for the local audio, so long as I don't accidentally clip, I can get it to sound just as good in one pass as it does taking the long way, without having to manage piles of extra files in the process.

With each track recorded separately, I can import it straight into Premiere and adjust volume or cut out small sections from any of them as needed, which takes seconds. If I need to do anything more complicated (like for this video, I ran the compression a little stricter on one track), I can still drop it in Audacity as needed and work from there.

Essentially, if I could get a lossless or nearly as good stream over a call with good enough latency, it would be functionally identical to having another microphone plugged into my computer. This is why I was asking if there are any ways to do that with better quality than Discord. It's theoretically possible to do it with VBAN, but the process would be so complicated it'd no longer be worth it.

I think what I've got here is perfectly listenable but it could certainly be better without throwing the whole thing out in the process. I know it wouldn't work if we added a third person, and that it's not the normal way people here have been doing it, but I hardly think the idea is so ludicrous as to not even be worth considering.

Also, to that one person who just hit the dislike button: not very constructive.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 16, 2018

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

edit: you know what, never mind.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Speaking of Danganronpa, I'd been preparing to do an LP for DRV3 for a while now, and I was actually finished with a draft of the prologue post and just about ready to kick it off for real before I decided not to go through with it after all.

Rather than leaving all the setup I did to go nowhere, if anyone happens to have a use for about 650 transparent 85x85 DRV3 character portraits, here you go. (some spoilers in there)

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Announcing a huge update right when it's being pulled from Gamepass! Glad to see he's still committed to being a class act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Artix posted:

JRPG combat and videos are an imperfect fit but can be done, usually with plenty of editing or just outright cutting it out once you've seen enemies and how they fight. As mentioned, the fact of the matter is that there simply isn't anything to really say when you encounter enemy #37 for the fifteenth time this dungeon unless something very silly happens where you unexpectedly die or something so regardless of how you present the game, just start cutting encounters out once you've shown what they can do.

I've found what I think is a happy medium by aggressively timestamping the Cold Steel videos since YT dropped the Chapters feature. It lets me keep the videos largely unedited (which I prefer) while also offering a low-friction way out for anyone who just wants to get to the good parts. Plus just doing it all has helped me get significantly better at talking, period, so even the dungeony parts have improved a lot as we go.