Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Maple Leaf posted:

I want to do an LP of Metroid: Samus Returns because 1) I love Metroid, 2) I'll take any excuse to use my modded 3DS and 3) Sakamoto produced it and I have to know if he's learned.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the bottom screen. It has a fair amount of information on it at all times, so I want to keep it displayed, but it's more information than a standard GUI or minimap and can clutter the video a bit.

Here are two possibilities: overlay and stack.

Overlay's pros and cons:
There is less unused space in the video;
the main screen (and the action) are in a more prominent view;
the overlay of the bottom screen covers a small chunk of the main screen.

Stack's:
No part of either screen is obscured;
The main screen isn't blown up, and therefore looks less jagged/aliased;
there's a ton of unused space in the video (even though the resolution is much larger)

Alternatively I could look into getting a 3DS overlay like this although I think 3DS overlays look kind of lovely. I could also just fade it in whenever I need it, like I did in Federation Force, but that's going to be a ton of work for this game and I'm still using avisynth like a dummy.

Which do you prefer? Do you have any other suggestions?

I mean, I've been watching this speed run here and the overlay doesn't seem super intrusive? Simple black is fine, not a lot of wasted space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU