Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I want to do an LP of Metroid: Samus Returns because 1) I love Metroid, 2) I'll take any excuse to use my modded 3DS and 3) Sakamoto produced it and I have to know if he's learned.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the bottom screen. It has a fair amount of information on it at all times, so I want to keep it displayed, but it's more information than a standard GUI or minimap and can clutter the video a bit.

Here are two possibilities: overlay and stack.

Overlay's pros and cons:
There is less unused space in the video;
the main screen (and the action) are in a more prominent view;
the overlay of the bottom screen covers a small chunk of the main screen.

Stack's:
No part of either screen is obscured;
The main screen isn't blown up, and therefore looks less jagged/aliased;
there's a ton of unused space in the video (even though the resolution is much larger)

Alternatively I could look into getting a 3DS overlay like this although I think 3DS overlays look kind of lovely. I could also just fade it in whenever I need it, like I did in Federation Force, but that's going to be a ton of work for this game and I'm still using avisynth like a dummy.

Which do you prefer? Do you have any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

https://giant.gfycat.com/DelayedSecondhandAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam.webm

No OP yet, test post here.

Right now my big worry is sprinkling the gifs throughout the updates. Currently I'm trying to upload them to gfycat and embedding them into the posts, but I'm not so certain that that's the best angle and I'm not even positive if it's going to work on the scale I have it right now. I could also try uploading to imgur and using their gifv files.

Generally the files are each hovering around 2 MBs, so I could probably turn them into gif files myself, but I'm not sure how with the tools that I have without them all coming out looking like rear end.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or they think they look fine as they are (the gfycat in this post is an example of how they would turn out), I'd appreciate the words.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Right then, so webms are a no-go. Any word on gifv?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Another problem with huge webms is that the break the tables.

But more to the point, don't just do a test post with the intro, do a typical update. How do you plan to handle the basketball sessions, for instance?

Video's in the test post. Ctrl+F the word Gameplay.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Pyre

“[W]hat happens when you face defeat, and have to come back from it the next day, look your friends in the face, look yourself in the mirror, and deal with the consequences of the decisions you made[?]" (Source)

Pyre is the third title released by indie development team Supergiant Games, released on July 25th, 2017. It was announced in April of 2016.

Pyre had no design documents; no elevator pitches; there was no inspiration that had struck a Supergiant Games employee while he was walking his dog. Pyre was conceived when the developers were trying to think of a game idea based on a common fact of life: failure, and dealing with the consequences of it. It was conceived by Greg Kasavin during a brainstorming session with other Supergiant Games on what their next game should be.

Taking this concept to heart, an interesting facet of Pyre is that, at no point during your run, can you possibly ‘game over’ and be forced to start again. Pyre is a unique blend of fantasy sports and visual novel; the decisions you make during the Sportsball sections, especially whether you win or lose, will significantly affect the flow of the story and the way Pyre’s characters interact with you, the player.

The LP

First thing to note is that this LP will be a hybrid: as I said, the game is a blend between fantasy sports and visual novel. The visual novel parts will be done with screenshots and hand-typed transcripts, while the gameplay will be done in videos. The game also includes a number of cute and/or gorgeous animated sections during the visual novel parts, and I will attempt to fit in animation where I can, marked with a “Gfy” link beneath still pictures.

: Any script succeeding this icon is the player, speaking in third person (“they all look toward you,” etc).
: Whereas any commentary succeeding this icon is by me, speaking about the game.

Like all Supergiant Games, the difficulty of the game is rather malleable by the player; on top of choosing a difficulty (which usually means how intense the AI can be during gameplay), the player can choose a number of items that boost their own performance, as well as choosing a number of inhibitors that either hinder them, or boost the enemy, in exchange for goodies, such as more experience.

To that end, I will be playing Pyre on the True Nightwing difficulty:

• ‘Heightened’ difficulty is the hardest setting the player can choose in the settings.
  • Titan Stars are, as I said, inhibitors that the game introduces as an option in order to make your gameplay more challenging. In a typical playthrough, the Titan Stars are entirely optional; on True Nightwing difficulty, some of them may be enforced.
  • ‘Enlightenment’ is another word for ‘experience points.’ It is harder to level up in True Nightwing mode.
  • In any other difficulty, Pyre allows you to restart any Sportsball match from the beginning, provided you don’t let it conclude first, if you don’t believe you’re going to win. This option is no longer available in True Nightwing mode: should I lose any match, I must accept the consequences.
  • The Book of Rites is purely for lore, and the White Lute is this game’s Sound Test. I’ll be interspersing the Book of Rites pages throughout the LP.
  • The Slugmarket is where we purchase the items that boost our own performance. We’ll be needing all the help we can get.
  • Feats of Glory are optional challenges that you can accomplish midmatch in order to get a little extra money. This is the only gimme that True Nightwing mode will be giving us.

Participation

The Rites can only be performed with three characters at a time. Naturally, we’ll be getting more than three over the course of the plot. Before every Rite, I’ll ask which characters we’d like to see perform in the Rite. The first character you vote for will be taking the lead in the Rite. That’s important information, which is why I bolded it.

While on the way to perform the next Rite, we may come across forks in our paths. They generally won’t have any significant change on the overall story, but they will provide minor buffs or debuffs to our characters. I won’t be holding a vote on every fork, since that would eat up a ton of time, but I will take the fork that features whoever the thread is currently, or has most recently, voted/voting for, if they’re available.

No spoilers, please.

Updates

test post
----------

I cleaned up the test post a little bit, and what I'm thinking of doing is posting still images instead of gifs or webms, and instead include a link that goes to said webm if the reader would also like to see some of the games animations on their own, so that their browser isn't overloaded by trying to load all of them at once.
The only exception being the very first one with the title, since I thought it might look rad to open the thread with that, but I can change it if necessary.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

A couple of days ago, my good friend Olive Branch visited me, and among the activities we did, we completed a blind Let's Play of Kirby: Star Allies for the Switch. We recorded the whole thing, front to back, and I'll soon be ready to make its thread, but I'd like some input on the audio.

Namely, it was recorded with two guys sitting on chairs in a basement, so the commentary sounds a little echo-y. I've uploaded two test videos: this one has no effects and just has some level balancing/ducking, while this one has the commentary with a high-pass filter on top of the same balancing.

Basically, what I'm asking is, which sounds better? The first one sounds a little more "authentic" and is easier for me to make out but it keeps the acoustics from my basement, while the second one removes the acoustics in exchange for sounding more 90's radio. Is there anything I could do to make the commentary any better? Obviously, we can't really redo our takes.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Most people I've asked agree that the first example sounds better: they'd rather take the echo than the tinny, tin-can-with-a-string quality. Thanks for the input!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Test post

I love this game and I've been thinking of doing an LP of it for some time, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the presentation, particularly when it comes to the resolution of the images. I wanted to try and keep them at 900x506 since I remember baldurk saying the archive doesn't support larger resolution pics without breaking its tables, but anything smaller than 720p and the game's text gets too small and blurry to read. There's no in-game way to increase their font size, either.

I considered maybe trying to do it as a VLP, with either subtitled commentary or voice-over commentary, but recording and editing just didn't feel very fun to do, and the product was coming out kinda meh.

Also, the character dialogue has mismatched resolutions intentionally:

quote:

: A dead Magister? Somebody’ll have to take the blame for this… and it won’t be me.

: So much for a peaceful stroll.

I did this because I wanted to ask which one looked better. The smaller, thinner one looks better, but it's not as intuitive for me to capture and edit. Also, they're both pretty massive anyway, which is something I'll have to look into on my next pass.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

You know, all yesterday, I never considered just cropping the text box. That makes much more sense than anything else I tried.

I did some research online and there's a few ways to increase the assets of the game to make them more legible at different resolutions. One is to edit the game's fonts directly, and another is to increase the size of the GUI. I think I found a combination that could work at 900x506:

: A dead Magister? Somebody’ll have to take the blame for this… and it won’t be me.
: So much for a peaceful stroll.

I could increase them further, but they're already starting to look misshapen and misaligned - it's particularly noticeable on the words "Unlocked" and "Attack of Opportunity," where the lettering looks like something out of a Lemony Snicket movie poster. But at least they're legible enough that a reader can understand the gist of what's happening.

e: the images look blurrier to me on browser than they do on disk. Is that just a me thing?

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 24, 2020

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I normally do my SSLPs by inserting all of my screenshots into my update posts by hand, and I recall hearing about a plug-in that makes inserting screenshots into an update post much more streamlined, with the click of a button or two. Anyone know where I can find that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Thank you very much!