Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

CirclMastr posted:

Test post incoming:

Is this too sparse an OP? And is the video quality/bitrate acceptable?

Mysteries live and die on their plot, so I'd include a 2-3 sentence opener to try to grab interest before you get into the dry historical details of when the game came out and where it was made. Those details very few people will care about compared to the fact that you play a protagonist who literally dies and is given a time machine by Satan in the first 5 minutes of the game.

As for the video it looks fine from a technical perspective. Video quality looks good, audio is balanced fine, etc.

As for presentation, I think nonstop talking over dramatic moments like the protagonist getting stabbed in the back REALLY drains them of all their punch, and I don't think it's a good fit for a plot-focused game like this, but if you want to do that style of LP then I guess that's your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Alright, so here's an idea I've been kicking around for a while.

First of all, does the video look alright? This is the first thing I've produced with Adobe Premiere, and after an embarrassing bit of heavily-interlaced struggling, I finally found the H.264 rendering option. Unmodded Morrowind doesn't allow for any different aspect ratios, so I can't really make it any wider.

And second, would anybody else be interested if I were to try posting this as part of a "Let's Break" megathread? There are a lot of games that could be abused in amusing ways, even if they aren't worthy of a full playthrough. Things like the Navarro run in Fallout 2, or sequence breaking in GTA Vice City, or anything like the anti-playthroughs on this page. Except the Morrowind one. That one being so terrible is part of what inspired me to do this.

I liked the video. Good casual tone and I love the concept, would definitely be interested in seeing someone break Morrowind in half. You might consider dropping the game volume just a touch, it's occasionally hard to hear you over it (for example, the item noises around 17:40). Apart from that though it looks good to me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I did an LP for one and only one reason: to swindle Bacter into playing a terrible ancient game with me that he never would have otherwise. I completed my objective and didn't really care about building a channel or raising subscribers or whatever. It's fine if building a channel is your objective, but there's a wide array of reasons you might make an LP, and you get to pick yours.

You'll never make a living doing this unless you're very charismatic (to a given audience), treat it like a full time job, AND get monstrously lucky, so as long as you're treating it as a hobby, as long as you're getting what you want out of the deal, then go nuts, man. I don't like watching blind LPs, but other folks do and if you enjoy making them, then stick with that for sure.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My first LP was a multiplayer co-op affair where I decided that it would be a good idea to switch perspectives from time to time, showing either my or Bacter's perspective depending on which was the most interesting. This of course meant both my recording and his recording had to be precisely synchronized or else when I swapped perspectives it would desync with the commentary audio track.

We were using DOSBox's built-in recorder to record the videos, and the problem was his computer would sometimes drop frames. His video would invariably be 20-30 seconds shorter than mine. The frames dropped would be evenly scattered throughout the video, so it was impossible to just add some blank frames to his video and even it out that way, it would have desynced the videos.

What I had to do was write a script in avisynth that would find the difference in frames between the shorter video and the longer video, and duplicate frames on the shorter video until the shorter video had as many frames as the longer one. It worked amazingly well, and in the end product it was imperceptible that his video would, every N minutes, have one frame that was 2/60ths of a second long instead of 2 frames that were 1 60th of a second long. I don't know if this would have been possible with a program besides avisynth, but the moral of the story is don't do LPs with Bacter.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'm doing something outside my usual comfort zone of screenshot LPs, so I'm looking for some advice...

I get the feeling my subtitles go by a bit too fast, but I'm kind of unsure how to balance that with a game as fast-paced as Blood. Is there a general guideline for subtitle timings?

I don't know of any general rule, but for what it's worth I didn't have trouble reading your subtitles in time. The video looks good to me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's a tricky balance though, too much time will leave your viewer bored waiting for the next line. For what it's worth I didn't have trouble reading along with your test video.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

mr_stibbons posted:

Hey all

I was thinking of doing an LP for Age of Wonders: Planetfall. I've done some LPs before on other sites, so I do know what I am getting it to here. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything off with this one. In particular, I'm trying to find a point where the images aren't too big but the game text is still readable.

Test post here

Oh cool I love Planetfall.

I found the game text quite readable at the size you've picked. I'm reading on a desktop monitor. It will probably be too small to read on a mobile device, but given the game's UI is designed for desktops, that is probably not solvable. It looks good, just make sure to give it a proofread or two before posting, there's some typos.

"Assault bikes are the vanguard T2 combat unit, and will they’re about as awkward as they look."

"The bit but is that because of the bikes unique design,"

etc. Apart from that it looks good. I notice you elected to leave stagger mechanics and such unexplained, I assume so as not to bog down the first post with too much mechanics talk too soon. I think that's a good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sounds cool, and I think we should go left.