Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

A quick one- I'm just about ready to drop my HBS:Battletech LP, but before I get into editing the video, I've hit a snag.

So the game has a ton of dialogue, most of it text only. Some I can probably transcribe in the thread, but the ones midmission that will show up in the video I don't know what to do with.

Do I just leave it on screen for people to read? Do I attempt to read it out loud? If the former, is it worth editing to text box so its larger and more legible? There will be ones that show when the game doing 'cinematic' poo poo as well.

It's doubly annoying because theres also voiced stuff at the same time. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

StrixNebulosa posted:

My immediate thoughts:

- Do not read it outloud. Provide transcripts of the dialogue in the post with the video, spoiler tagged and timestamped. Mention that if viewers cannot read the text, you have transcribed it.

Leave it onscreen so people can read it, but don't overwork yourself via editing it for easier reading.

Editing it shouldn't be too hard, once I'm done with work I can bash out an example. Also noted, my main thought was that just leaving the paragraph or more of text (there's a ton between story missions) would be a bit much dead air, which I can't edit around/out. That between-mission stuff I may shift to the LP posts and transcribe, and just summarise in the videos.

berryjon posted:

Subtitles? As in, can you see if the default text is large enough to read, and if not, make your own subtitles that are large enough?

That bit was more slight frustation that HBS decided to have characters have text only and voiced dialogue right next to each other, not put in voice lines for all plot mission dialogue. The voiced bits do get transcribed on screen when they happen, so I don't need to throw in subtitles.

Thanks guys, got a mostly complete plan now. Should have this rolling pretty soon, and hopefully finish it before the DLC drops. Which is a useful kick-in-the-arse to get it done.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'd also say the first, the second sounds a bit tinny and it kinda mumbles your words. You're both a lot more understandable in the first version. As for the echo, not sure if that can be corrected beyond altering how it was recorded, unfortunately.

Turns out it's real easy to blow up the dialogue box so it's a lot more legible on YT. And you can get an idea how much time will be given to these kind of conversations mid-mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EyNi8kPBU8

EDIT- I should have included what they originally look like, so heres a screengrab-

I had a look when resized to YT, it does blur a bit, so I think doing this is best

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 25, 2018

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

berryjon posted:

Here's a list on the LP Archive..

Of the ones that aren't mine, I would recommend Monument Valley by Trenchfoot as something short and quite enjoyable. Geop's Shadow of the Colossus for being a good game by a good LP'er, and Typing of the Dead Overkill for being one of the two best Subtitled VLP's that I've ever seen (the other hasn't hit archives yet).

I'd throw in Homeworld Cataclysm as well, but that's mostly because that game is amazing. He made a good call to not take away from the music or the voice acting.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Finally got some time to begin running through Battletech. Ready to drop the thread, but I'm not sure if I'm screwing up the video links, using the individual img's to make one large picture.

---

:siren:The Video List:siren:

EDIT- Ok, I guess it just looks broken in the tester and SA preview. All good

And the full OP post because gently caress it why not- https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151810