Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Now that there's a new thread up, might I suggest editing the OP to include links to the sticked threads that have gone up in the time since the last Sandcastle thread was posted, like the New LP Announcement thread, the Stream thread, and the Co-Commentary catalog thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just a general heads up: we have a new LP Request List thread that's currently awaiting sticky-ing and what not because the thread title of the previous Req List thread came true and Blind Sally stopped updating it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It looks like you've got some issues with italics tags in certain areas. It looks like you're using italics for stage directions and non-game dialog, yet certain otherwise normal explanatory paragraphs appear to be italicized too for no reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

That's...weird. Which paragraphs are you talking about? The race/class descriptions are all un-italicized, and aside from system text (the leaf thing) and Edgar's dialogue, those're pretty much the only things that shouldn't be italicized.

e: Oh, I just saw the Earthrun description's italicized. I've fixed that one.

Oh, I think I just got it. Are the large chunks of boilerplate explanation meant to read as "in character" between the three LPer chatheads? If so then that explains why most of the update is italicized and in which case disregard what I've said then.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

I think most LP groups (whether formal or loosely related) have their own at this point (and as mentioned the IRC exists) but I wouldn't say no to an unofficial server. It's not like anyone has to join if they don't want to.

:agreed:

I think an unofficial SA-based Discord sever is a good idea on its head, because I know finding people on Discord can be a bit of a pain sometimes, and it could help people connect easier for guest commentary and whatnot. I just wonder if it will be a moderation nightmare?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

I was thinking that after getting through the "text" in and of itself, I would do videos where I mute Davey and do voice commentary over video the appropriate bits of the game. I was kicking it around with some folks on the SA discord, and we came up with a handful of theories worth going into, and obviously anything the thread comes up with might be worth taking a deeper look at.

I'd say a video is a good idea. Blind Sally started his Resistance 3 LP off with like a half hour video recapping both R1&2 and the ARG that went alongside 2 and examining the franchise in depth before even setting foot in R3, and it went over rather well from outward appearances.

So its not unheard of.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm about to start a Let's Play of Rule the Waves. Who do I gotta pester thank graciously to get this icon for it? :v:

Token Test Post: Mahanian Rhapsody [Let's Rule the Waves!] (isn't really much meat to it since I don't know what nation I'll be playing)

PM Jordan or Fedule once the thread goes up and they'll change it for you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I saw this and just laughed.

Scrolling over that my dyslexia formed that blurb into "become a YouTube tool!" in my brain, and I went "yep, that's about right."

Seriously though, what a fundamentally horrifying thing for a toy retailer to be selling. Parents should not be encouraging their children to seek internet stardom, nor should companies be packaging this poo poo like it's a toy. The internet is weird and creepy and two-way interaction with it should be shunned at least until a person is old enough to get their Learner's Permit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm with Artix. While that might seem like a cool feature on it's head, it's kind of useless when people can literally see for themselves if an LP is a video, screenshot, text, or some other malformed hybrid just by skimming the OP. And if they can't then something has gone catastrophically wrong on one end of the Author-Reader spectrum or the other.

What's more, the MASTER LIST is a pretty decent catalogue of which LPs are what type. Just flip the status in the search bar to "Ongoing" and do an empty search and it will provide you with as close to a complete list of LPs currently underway and what kind they are. It's not perfect by any means, since it's largely self-reporting and goon curated, but it's better than nothing.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 20, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Party Bug posted:

Hi I'm playing Dark Souls 3 with a fightstick. Here's a video: 3RD STRIKE

Please let me know about any video/audio quality issues or if I'm bad (i'm bad).

Looks good to me. The only issue I have is the game audio could stand for some autoducking because it kind of stays quiet throughout the video, even in the spots were you're remaining silent like the opening cutscene. But that's a minor issue, all told.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mega64 posted:

IIRC archiving was still off due to the last mishap and ZDR didn't notice until recently when someone mentioned it.

So if you've got an LP you might continue, at least keep the thread bumped every three months.

Yeah, it came back online in the last few days because I checked the Ace Combat 2/Assault Horizon Legacy thread last week and it was still open (because I have one final update that I keep putting off and putting off for it that I'm gonna have to throw into the Ace Combat 04 thread now) and the thread was Archive Locked, and the last post in that one was late August.

Basically, if your thread hasn't seen a reply since like Mid October-ish, it's been Archive Locked.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Since I really didn't have enough footfall to justify a whole second thread just for the last update I'm just posting to say that if anyone was following my EDF2017 LP, the final 5 videos are now availiable on my youtube channel.

You could also probably get away with posting the final updates in the Casual LP thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Delete it and never look back because it's weirdo spam? :confused:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It looks good. The image quality on the videos is a little smeary, but that's to be expected from direct capture from a SNES (or any SD-era console, really). The OP looks good--don't worry about the length, I've done OPs that stretch into the 10 page zone in MS Word and people pretend to like my stuff, so that's a non issue. Your audio is nice and clear and free of noise and you're both well balanced against each other and the game. And your commentary is good too, you both have good chemistry and (at least one of you) is very informative about the game. The image work is good too.

Basically :justpost:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about an LP I can't find?

This one, right here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hmm. The spacing between the screenshots and text is a little wonky. Just from a cursory glance. You should probably have at least a single line break between each screenshot and each block of explanatory text.

There's a lot of blank spaces too where I'm assuming gifs are supposed to be, right? They don't seem. To be loading for me, though I don't know if that's an issue with LPix, the platform I'm viewing the test post on, or a formatting issue on your end. Can anyone else see them if that's what they are?

If you get those issues cleaned up, I'd say you're good to go.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supeerme posted:

There are supposed to be videos. For some reason the page isn't loading it because "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources". (I'm using chrome so I don't know if it just that or something else.) I will change the spacing to allow a line break. I forgot about that bit.

Ok here it is a updated version: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147241

Okay, I was able to check the updated test post on an actual PC platform and yeah the videos are showing up. My question is: are they really necessary, though? Having a large number of embedded videos in a single LP post in general is going to set people on edge on its head, let alone having embedded videos with like 30 seconds to a minute of footage in them. Especially videos with what sounds to my ear very spotty audio quality for some reason.

Like, I know certain parts of the game may look better in motion, but I feel maybe you should just screenshot those parts and link to the FMVs separately so that people can watch them at their leisure rather than forcing them to load the embedded video. Same goes for the soundtrack videos. The less obtrusive you can make the LP experience for the reader, the better it will be over all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The way I look at it is if the source is native 4:3, the final product should be 4:3. Let people piss and moan about MUH WIDESCREEN all they want at least it won't look like poo poo all stretched out to a resolution it shouldn't be at.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

just :lol: if you don't think this is the pinnacle of video resolution:

Someone please LP an entire game in 9:16 resolution. Thank you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Seems to be a change that Google Chrome made with a certain font.

Really? Because I'm on Firefox and I can see that it's changed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

What I don't understand is why the LP threads get 2 months while every other thread gets 4 months (haven't seen one with 3 months).

LP tends to get a higher volume of new threads compared to elsewhere on the forums, so the Archive Lock window is shorter here to compensate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thefluffy posted:

is the ace combat 5 LP dead now? :ohdear:

No. It just went on vacation while I waited for an HDMI dongle I ordered from China to emerge from the black hole the shipped it through. I have it now though. I'm actually recording footage for it tonight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sagacious posted:

So I want to do a subtitle LP of Abzu. Now I never done a sub LP before so I posted a test video to see if the subs are on screen long enough.
I'm curious what you guys think any help/advice on subbing is welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCb7ajndUvo

Based on what I saw, I'd say you're right on the money. You picked a good font that's easy to read, especially with the outline. The subtitles are on screen long enough that you can read them quickly, but they don't over stay their welcome. They're unobtrusive to what's happening on screen. And you don't try to jam like 3 lines of text on a single subtitle like some people have done.

My only suggestion maybe make the text a little bigger by like 3 to 5pts because it seemed a little small to me, but beyond that it's pretty good.

:orb:... or... ah... :justpost:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:same:

The onus should be on the OP of the thread to keep bumping it if they have additional content planned. For example, I've had to bump the Ace Combat 04 LP thread twice now since I've "finished" with it because I'm going to be coming back to it and finally doing the bonus video update for it once I get done with AC5.

We already have 7 stickied threads between the Sandcastle, Tech Support, the Request List, and the rest--8 if Fedule and/or Mega64 ever get around to posting the updated Subforum Rules thread. I think 9 is well past belaboring the point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but if you want to make use of Clyp now, be warned that free accounts are now limited in how much they can upload. You only have 6 hours of storage space on there.

For reference, that's roughly equivalent to just over one large-end JRPG soundtrack in total length. So for example, each individual soundtrack from the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy is in the 4-5 hour range in total length. So you'd be able to get one and a bit's game's OST up on Clyp, but no more than that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

Earlier someone gave me a lot of great tips about my LPs. I think I've made a decent amount of improvements but I'd love to hear what you guys think. I got two going currently.

Mass Effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2epze0OYQ

And Undertale. In the latest episodes my daughter has joined me in the fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZlVRCf0qc

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Are the intros really necessary? I can tell what game you're playing by the video title or the description. I don't really need a 10 second bumper of each game's title card at the start of each video to remind me. I understand that you're apparently recording these videos in marathon sessions with live commentary, but your in and out points on the videos you linked are quite jarring. I know in the case of Undertale you're kind of at someone else's whims as to stop and start points, but maybe that's something to consider when you're doing solo commentary--trying to keep natural stop and start points in mind as you're playing and work in a line or two in the commentary to east the transition between videos a bit.

On a technical level though everything seems fine, so you've got that down, so it's just a matter of tightening up the presentation and style, and that comes with practice.

Your daughter is adorable, by the way :3:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:thejoke:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Please LP Shadows of the Empire. The last two morons who took a whack at it were godawful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Soon I will unite the 7 Original Let's Plays, and with their power I shall destroy the LP Subforum :devil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Someone give me the go ahead to make a thread please.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

This game

was made by these people

15 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, internet.

Looks too. :justpost:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

Why does this loving forum have so many stickies? Jesus christ.

We’re trying to show off as many different thread tags per page as we can. It’s an art piece.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

Why does this loving forum have so many stickies? Jesus christ.

It’s our threat level indicator. Currently we’re at: Concerned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

Thy keep the forum up. They’re like duct tape.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

I had a good one, but I lost it. gently caress

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I thought we were here to ban idiots and look cool?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Hey LP friends. I have a question for you, regarding my CYOA thread: You Have 001 Goblins. I was working on an update today and, to my shock, saw this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834877

Looks like someone else is also running a CYOA goblins game about building a horde. Now, I'm usually cool about sharing, but I gotta admit this stings a little bit, especially after working my rear end off on 001 for almost three years now. So what should I do? Should I just ignore it? Should I call it quits on 001? I don't want to be a jerk, and I fully admit that updates for my CYOA have gotten spotty as it gets more complex. Thoughts are welcome.

To quote my old buddy Zaeed Massani, "rage is a hell of an anesthetic." Keep it going, out of spite if you have to. :getin:

In all seriousness: By all means, keep at it. Don't let someone else taking on a simmilar project, or at worst outright copying you (note: I have no clue as to the goon in question's motivations or level of inspiration, so out of courtesy, let's assume for a moment their work is NOT a direct copy of yours), get in your head and throw you off. If your work takes longer than others', then it just takes longer.

Ultimately though, it should be your choice whether or not you want to continue with it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

While we're on this subject, can anybody tell me about creating an offline backup of a thread? With all the talk of migrating the forums going on I'm a little concerned about losing my 166 pages of madness in the process.

Do you want to archive the whole thing or just your update posts? If it’s the former, there are webscraper programs you can use to pull all the data from each thread page. Baldurk uses some arcane program to pull stuff from threads for the Archive. I’d suggest hitting him up for advice.

If it’s the latter, then I’d say set aside an hour or two and go through and use the Edit option to access the raw text of each update and copy it into individual text files and build up an archive that way. It’s tedious and dirty, but it’s also a sure-fire workaround.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Do you know what the timeframe is on that? I suppose I should talk to the man myself...

Yes. Baldurk only adds LP to the Archive that are specifically requested by the goon who ran the LP itself. So your best bet is to email him to get the ball rolling. Include a link to the thread and what specific content you’re looking to have archived so that he knows what to look for.

Just be aware that he’s constantly busy with stuff so it might take a while just to hear back from your initial email, let along getting the LP on the Archive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I wise Pizza Hut still had the P'zone in the US, those were the poo poo

You can always order one from a Pizza Hut in Canada and see if they're willing to deliver it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To further celebrate the new rules thread, and to further cement my dominion over this wretched little subforum, I've also gone and tweaked the stickie thread header images to clean them up a little bit and be more in line with baldurk's original Sandcastle header:

You can view each of them here or in their respective threads:

* The Tech Support Fort one I'm holding off on just because I don't want to step on Zeratanis's toes and overwrite the image they designed for the thread on their own.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 9, 2017