Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Obviously this is the best choice of thing to do with my handy dandy new account: a game nobody has heard of that I've never got around to finishing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl-wBb0IHeo

What The Hell Is This Anime poo poo
SD Gundam G-Generation OVERWorld is the almost-latest iteration of the long-running G-Generation series (surpassed by the latest edition on PS4, Genesis, which is a vastly different game). The games are (largely) TacRPGs similar to Fire Emblem or Super Robot Wars, but at the same time they're very different games; how different depends on which specific game you're talking about, but I'll be going over the mechanics in detail as they come up, since they're Actually Pretty Interesting. The game was released about a year after its predecessor, World, and carries on the plot of that game, such as it is (the plot is kind of threadbare in these games; it exists, but it's only taken into account on a few stages), on the PSP right near the end of its life cycle.
Much like how Super Robot Wars exists for the purpose of crossing over various mecha shows, the G-Gen games are like that for Gundam only. They generally come in two forms: "story", where the game proceeds effectively like a SRW game, and "mission", where the game is a series of missions with their own self-contained plot. OVERWorld fits into this latter category, but it has a series of boss stages and a secondary game mode that act as kind of an explanation to what the heck is going on.
If you're unfamiliar with Gundam, it's basically a franchise about the evils of war following people who hate war and pilot cool death machines against people who love war and pilot cool death machines. (This is a tremendous simplification and Gundam varies widely in tone, quality, and message, but that's something that's core to basically every series except G Gundam.)

About the LP...
This will largely be screenshots, with a few animated clips thrown in here and there (GIFs for tinier things, WEBMs for bigger things where I want smoother quality); WEBMs in particular will likely be linked to so that they don't autoload on the page. The game's audio is not generally spectacular, and the large variety of pilots means there are comparitively few lines per pilot, so that gets repetitive very quickly. For certain things I may throw in video clips mined from YouTube, but nothing fantastic.
This isn't going to be completionist because that will take forever; the aim here is to simply beat all three game modes (World Tour, World Core, and OVER World) and show off any neat things that come up along the way. To "100%" this game would involve collecting every mech in the catalogue and there is no way I'm doing that. Also, I won't be showing off HELL Mode, although I'll discuss it a little bit.

I'll also do a Robot Roll Call which is probably one post I'll update after each other update because if I append it to the already-long missions.

Missions in this game are quite long, so I'll probably do one per update. Also, I'll be transferring savedata from the two previous PSP titles, Portable and World, which lets us begin the game with two fairly useful equip items that will make things much less painful early on.

My intent was to do one a week but after doing the prologue I realised how huge this game actually is when you're not just flipping through stuff at high speed so I'll probably aim for one a fortnight, which gives me plenty of time to not screw it up.

Did you say you never finished it
Yeeeees but it's actually that I got bored because the game is pretty easy and it takes a while. There are no big left hooks the game is going to throw at me, I just eventually got tired of skipping through the Japanese text and using a vaguely similar strategy per stage... but the game's in english now, so there won't be any problems there. It also means I don't have to refer to the wiki each and every time for everything.

Audience Participation?
Yes! Since I'll be doing one menu and one mission per update, there will often be times I'll ask for audience input when I'm presented with equal options. Also, starting from the end of the first update, there is periodically the opportunity to acquire a new MASTER character, which I'll be asking for input on (with a limited list for the first choice, for gameplay reasons). Further, at the start of the game, we'll be abusing the Your Character option to make an original character, but I'll get to that when we get there.

Spoilers?
While the plot in this game is pretty thin on the ground, I'd appreciate it if people avoided spoilers, since there's a fairly massive twist towards the end that changes a lot of stuff you thought you knew. As for spoiling various Gundam series themselves, feel free to go nuts with that one, since most of them have been out for a long time - this is a franchise that's been going strong since the 70s, after all.

There are some weird words in here.
Gundam is a franchise with a pretty well built-up lore and a lot of jargon tends to get tossed around without much thought. I'll go over some of the really common stuff now; other stuff will get discussed when it comes up.
Gundam, n.; 1. (Meta) A giant robot built to a specific aesthetic, typically incorporating a V-Fin on the head and a helmet with distinct eyes. 2. (In-Universe) A giant robot built to a specific design scheme. Whether this is aesthetic or something else depends on the series in question.
Mobile Suit, n.; A giant robot. Every Gundam is a Mobile Suit, but not every Mobile Suit is a Gundam. Due to the prevalence of "suit" in this franchise as a shorthand for Mobile Suits (also known as MS), space suits used by astronauts and so on are called "normal suits".
Mobile Armor, n.; A weapon on scale with a Mobile Suit but more in line with a gunboat or a fighter jet. Term varies widely depending on series, but basically if it looks like a giant robot but not a person it's probably a Mobile Armor, or MA.
Minovsky, pn.; A researcher famous for his work on the self-titled Minovsky Particles which run almost all of the tech in UC Gundam, the largest part of the franchise. Beam weapons are made by generating a plasma of Minovsky Particles, they're used to jam radar, they can be used to fly, and so on.
Newtype, n.; The much-touted "next evolution of humanity". Might be magic, might be a mutation. Newtypes possess heightened spatial awareness and empathy, with many being borderline (or outright) psychic or able to divine the future (Judau, the most powerful Newtype until Unicorn came along and hosed everything up was able to speak with the dead on at least one occasion). The actual meaning of the term got incredibly muddled as the franchise went on, but basically everyone of import is a Newtype. This has a mechanical function I'll discuss in detail later.
Funnels, Bits, and INCOMs, n; Weapons mounted on giant robots that attack by remote control. The distinction between Funnels and Bits is largely irrelevant (Bits have their own power supply and Funnels leech off the unit's power) but the point is that they're Newtype-only because a Newtype can command them with their brainwaves and extraordinary spatial awareness. A major player in the original Gundam series, Lalah Sune, used her Funnels to earn her the epiphet "Ghost of Solomon". INCOMs are like Funnels but they use really cool-looking crazy wire things that let them be controlled by Oldtypes (Newtypes can still use them better, though; you may be sensing a theme here).

Update 01: OVER Impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
G-Gen Advance is actually the first G-Gen game that I picked up and it's a lot of fun. Switching to this game was a bit of a culture shock since everything about it is different, from how battles work to how you capture enemy units. If you get the opportunity, G-Generation DS is basically a remake of Monoeye Gundams for the Wonderswan; it runs on the same engine as G-Gen advance but the plot is a lot more involved and the series list is a lot wider, plus it has a route split where you get to play as Zeon instead of Feddie Scum. I'm actually worse at operating the menus in english than I am in Japanese, though.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Fellow mecha LP dorks in the thread may remember me from a SRW Z2.2 LP that went belly-up after a bad fit of Route Split Paralysis.

Part of the problem is that I actually lost access to the computer my files were on and by the time I was able to get my hands on it again it had been formatted, so I lost everything. :negative:

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Definitely do that, I'm dying.