Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Only if a miraculously and recently resurrected Lincoln is inside it.

Luke Mitchell plays a hobo-bearded psychopath on this season of Blind Spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Good Lord they really are determined to ride this Inhumans train just out of spite. It's like "oh, you're making a movie with mutants getting good buzz (Logan, in this case)? well, guess what, we were already doing something even better with Inhumans!"
Nobody cares about Inhumans.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When is that Legion show coming out?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Guy Goodbody posted:

Well, be fair. AoS isn't very good.

Counterpoint: it is good.

Inhumans has a teleporting dog with a tuning fork on its head.

Edit: I also thinks Legends of Tomorrow is good, sooo my opinion may be bad.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How can MCU movies be so much better than DC movies but for the TV shows it is the opposite?

DC shows go comic-booky and even silly, while MCU shows hit the dark, gritty, realistic button.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Watching Legends of Tomorrow I am reminded of how good a Superman Brandon Routh was and could be. He is perfect to be the new Christoper Reeve, but I guess he wasn't serious enough.
Ray Palmer is 100% Clark Kent; it's uncanny.
Yeah, Superman Returns wasn't great, but it had an great Superman and an amazing Lex (a Lex who was consistent with the one from Superman I and II).

Also, I do like AoS. It has fantastic and consistent writing and the action sequences have gotten so good, but I hate the fact that Disney / ABC doesn't seem to like it. The CW has super hero shows on four nights a week now. ABC acts like they can't even spare one slot. Agent Carter was the weaker show but the Carter character is great. I'm sure Hayley Atwell enjoys stretching her acting muscles as the star of Conviction, but I miss her as Carter. Plus the period costuming was beautifully done. Just have a Jarvis and Carter half hour show of them solving mysteries or something. They had remarkable chemistry.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like the Reverse Flash arc was totally planned.

And Arrow supposedly had a broad plan for the first five years, tied to his flashbacks to his "five years of whatever". Not sure what they will do next year. I wonder if he will start flashing back to S1.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Oh, wait, this show's still on?

I almost forgot. Why do they hate their own show so much?

The book should have been in at least hex, but only 2% of the audience would get that. Binary is something the other 98% understand and know that binary = computer talk. That's all. It was a necessary visual metaphor or the audience wouldn't have understood.
I actually worried about this while trying to fall asleep last night. Man, the book would have been so inefficient in binary. Maybe if she re-reads the pages it updates? Hex or even a binary dump to text would have been better. But the audience wouldn't know what that is. How many people open up a .exe file in a text editor in purpose or run a hex editor or look at network packets? Everybody knows what binary is even if they can't read it. Who cares? Go to sleep!
<<< Nerd.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twistedmentat posted:

I just watched the first one, not bad.

Watched them all. Could have easily be part of regular episodes, but I'll watch it and Like it if that is what it takes for ABC to realize that people like the show.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Chortles posted:

Isn't Eli still the only guy to do much of anything to Robbie even out of Rider form?

Daisy gave him a run for his money. So a bevy of Inhumans might be able to slow him down, but probably not stop him.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Arcanen posted:

EDIT: Oh, the biggest bit of weirdness. I am still not used to Daisy being Daisy and not Skye. I like that they made a point of everyone not immediately internalizing the change. I've never seen a show that has changed a characters name in this way, which is interesting.

I know it's silly, but I really appreciated this when they did it. It was like they were telling the audience, "we get it, change is hard, but we are doing this so get used to it." It was nice.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BSam posted:

Who are these trolls, LoT is as brilliant as every other comic book show. (Which is very brilliant before anyone says anything)

How is Eobard alive? Eddie killed himself and erased Eobard from the timeline. The only stuff Eobard could do was the stuff he already did. This is obviously new stuff since he is changing history. That's not possible. They are breaking their own rules.
Also, time wraiths murdered Zoom because he... what? Made a time remnant and kept him around? Barry's done far more damage the time wraiths haven't murdered him. Why are the time wraiths letting Eobard potentially alter time in massive ways (like nuking New York). Are the time wraiths banking on the League of Extraordinary Idiots to clean up so they don't have to? Do they, as non-speedsters, have to worry about time wraiths? If not, why didn't The Vanishing Point get wiped out by time wraiths long ago since the Time LordsMasters have been manipulating time to help Vandal Savage for thousands of years.
But, how is Eobard alive? That's the big one.

I still watch them. But they do have issues.

Also, Barry is the dumbest one of all and he's supposed to be the smart one.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RareAcumen posted:

Should I watch Flash season 3? I kinda just laid on the floor as I went through season 2 and I'm not able to work up the drive to get back into it since they did Flashpoint for no apparent reason.

To magically introduce new metas who weren't caused by the accelerator explosion. That's it pretty much.

Edit: that reminds me. Why isn't Eobard's life messed up from all the time changes he's made? Barry's life got hosed and he created an alternate timeline / universe that is bleeding over into his own in hosed up ways. People dying, people turning evil. Eoboard's just hunky dory. Also, the LoT folks are messing up time all over the place. Why isn't their future / present messed up? I mean, Professor what's-his-name has a daughter now; that's awesome. Why didn't it end up that his wife died in a plane crash or something? Why didn't Sarah end up staying dead or losing her soul for good? The only guy who got hosed was Captain Hunter. That showed the thing that "time tries to correct itself" was definitely in affect. But where is the punishment? Barry ended up with a terrible partner who hated him, an Iris that hated her dad, his friend's brother being killed, Caitlyn Snow slowly turning into Killer Frost for reasons I still don't understand, changing baby Sarah into baby John, Jr., and apparently now Laurel is coming back from the dead? They gave her an amazing send-off and now this?
Flashpoint was a poo poo idea for dumb idiots. I told my wife all the ways I hate resetting timelines being used as get-out-of-jail free card and all the ways that could make this stupid. It's a crutch for people who wrote themselves into a corner. It's still dumb and Barry and Iris still have no chemistry. Barry has more chemistry with Julian, the guy he hated. I'm sure someone is already shipping them.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 30, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

enraged_camel posted:

I know you were just waiting for an excuse to post that, but that's actually the point: AoS doesn't need a similar gif to hand-wave away ridiculous plot holes.

Or, more accurately, you think they do because of something you caught, but then you find out that they planned it that way all along and had dropped clever clues and had a way to fix it that makes perfect since in-universe, but that you didn't consider.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

enraged_camel posted:

I know you were just waiting for an excuse to post that, but that's actually the point: AoS doesn't need a similar gif to hand-wave away ridiculous plot holes.

Or, more accurately, you think they do because of something you caught, but then you find out that they planned it that way all along and had dropped clever clues and had a way to fix it that makes perfect since in-universe, but that you didn't consider.

Edit:

flosofl posted:

The only other show that did that for me was Person of Interest. It also started kind of "eh, another CBS procedural". Then it dropped a HUGE WTF Bomb around episode 6 or 7 and vaulted into some of the best TV I've ever seen.

We are watching Person of Interest right now. Just made it to S4 last week. So far, this season has provided more character growth and depth in the first six episodes than the previous three seasons combined. It's gone from good and interesting to amazing and thought provoking.

Edit2: how in the heck did I double post? Sorry.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Oasx posted:

Tom Cavanagh is the best thing about Flash, he is good enough that I can mostly ignore the dumb writing.

You can tell he loves his job. It's wonderful.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twistedmentat posted:

My problem is the Flash isn't supposed to be a sad sack hero, the Flash is the jokey, happy hero. In the show he spends all his time lately being sad.

This bugs me too. They seem to be keeping that with Supergirl, which is weird.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phylodox posted:

Jane the Virgin is good, at least.

And Crazy Ex-girlfriend because I can relate to the characters.

Also, Cisco is different because of Flashpoint. The CGI bounces between great for TV to bad for a video game. Some of it looks like it was done by the same group that did Blade 3.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tad SG posted:

My local ABC affiliate in Portland is no longer going to be carried by my cable company. When do new episodes show upon Hulu, and how long are they available?

Next day on Hulu. Can't remember if it's all episodes or just the most recent 5.
It's not part of the no-commercial plan, so they're is a commercial before and after the show. It can detect ad-blockers.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

enraged_camel posted:

My favorite character this season is Director Mace.

The perfect mix of good intentions and cluelessness, with a dash of badassery when the occasion calls for it.

I really hope they don't kill him off.

I agree. He is a great foil to the old guard of secrecy and working from the shadows.
We are going to get backstory on him soon. Hopefully, it turns out that he is just a goofy inhuman who was in the right place at the right time with the right attitude and not some Machiavellian, twelve-steps-ahead, super ambiguous leader like Fury was.

Edit: does he even have that Matrix of Leadership thing that Coulson gave the council of directors that mysteriously vanished?

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 13, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

booksnake posted:

It's wishful thinking as gently caress, but I can see the logic being "my sister talked the goons down the first time after my big family speech, and with beardman saying 'better she not be here for this' she didn't order the second time, so if she's here with me, there won't be a third time"

Exactly. Nobody wants to think their own sister can murder them.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AbstractNapper posted:

I think Id have preferred if Aida had been more automomous and Radcliffe less full on evil. But this... also works, I guess.

At least they kept the Aida actress which I've grown to like (after catching up with Galavant during the break).

It's consistent with what we've been shown of the Darkhold, at least.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dracorion posted:

I actually feel like the dude's "a hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" line was subtly pointing toward H.A.M.M.E.R. being the ones behind the assassination attempt on Mace.

Me, too. And that may still be who's behind it. Maybe we'll get to see Norman Osborne.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Looks like Haley Atwell's new show isn't getting renewed. ABC gave Conviction 13 episodes and that seems to be it.
Sad. It wasn't a bad show for a procedural. The cast was full of complex and well rounded characters. I'm on my phone or I'd link the article I read.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

I wasn't impressed by the pilot but I liked her character a lot. Hopefully we'll get some sort of Agent Carter now that she's freed up again.

Make it animated. That's how they are bringing Constantine back. I'd watch it.
Edit: http://www.toonzone.net/constantine-revived-cartoon/

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kheldarn posted:

Remember when FitzSimmons wanted to recruit Radcliffe? And how he was part machine/cyborg? Yeah, neither do the writers!

Didn't he have bird eyes or something at one point? I know I remember he had a subcutaneous computer in his arm similar to what Coulson has in his robot hand.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I like that Aida still behaves like a machine because she was built from scratch, but the May and Radcliffe LMDs behave like human beings because they are based on brain scans that were tweaked after-the-fact.
Although, does this Aida Mark II have a quantum magic brain or not?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

My assumption is that this Aida has a brain, which is why she's seemed to conflict with Radcliffe so much and "think for herself", while the "older model" with no brain was the one SHIELD burned.

That's the way I'm leaning, too. Means Aida II could straight up turn on Radcliffe at some point, but original Aida would be loyal to the end (which she totally did by lying and incriminating herself during her monologue when she tried to steal the Darkholde).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rocksicles posted:

Why have one sexbot when you can build two.

Is she fully functional?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I still think that Radcliffe will get the idea to download the real woman's mind into Aida's body and that he will try to do it without telling Aida. So, she'll find out and turn on Radcliffe in the end.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

My guess for Aida/Radcliffe is that instead of Radcliffe trying to turn Aida into Agnes it goes the other way. Aida tries to "be" Agnes and take her place with Radcliffe. Whether Radcliffe gives into this or is disgusted by it its where the power dynamic between them flips. But just a guess.

This makes more sense. Radcliffe isn't that sentimental and seems to still see Aida as a thing not a person. Everybody talking about sexbot stuff is projecting pretty hard. Radcliffe has never been shown to have anything other than clinical interest in Aida. If they did spring that, it'd be out of nowhere and this show doesn't do that.

quote:

I mean, sometimes beautiful young women date older men, especially if they're both in the same field and respect each other as peers or something. But yeah, Mallory had to be playing a little older for it to make sense with them being estranged for awhile unless Radcliffe is just a creeper professor who bangs coeds.

Which, really, fits Radcliffe.

It can't be that long. She has terminal, inoperable brain cancer.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

There weren't "anti inhuman crystals." They were just the leftover crystals Radcliffe had from his work with Hive.

Radcliffe's magic sauce was combining Hive spoor + Kree blood + Diviner Metal + Terrigen Crystals to create something that would convert regular people into people with the Inhuman gene, awaken their power, then bind them to hive in one fell swoop. Created alpha primitives instead, but good try I guess.

The pure crystals must be something he figured out while doing the other work.

I'm assuming pure crystals were possible all along, but Jaiying didn't want to spare non-Inhumans and killing them was a bonus.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Well saying it was all from his time with Hive is probably an over simplification. But between his time with Hive trying to make the crystals safe for humans and his work with SHIELD who has whatever Jaiying left behind (and yeah, she obviously saw "killing humans" as a benefit, not a bug) whatever Radcliff had was the results of all of that.

Either way the point remains that they weren't "anti inhuman" ones the Watchdogs had. The Watchdogs got them from Radcliffe. We even saw him put them out of a freezer, hand them to the Superior, and say he had them from his past work.

Seems like the Watchdogs want to awaken all Inhumans so they can kill them. They consider just the genetic potential to be an Inhuman to be a disease. I mean, didn't SHIELD develop a blood test for that? That'd be a lot easier.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
They did mention the Matrix. I think it was around when Mack was giving his holier-than-thou speech to Fitz.

e;f,b

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Metalshark posted:

I really want to see a Voight-Kampff test for a Fitz LMD of it interacting with a Glaswegian for an extended period of time. Even with the Darkhold, can a LMD handle Buckfast and Irn Bru?

With quantum magic brains, I think a VK would be futile. Just jab them with a needle and see if you hit metal would be easier.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Please continue to speak only in YouTube videos. It amuses me.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bull3964 posted:

I cannot imagine a situation, after all this trauma, where anyone on the team would be cool with having a robot around let alone one that has the face of someone who betrayed them.

How much therapy are they going to need? I mean, drat. It'd be easier to just use that SHIELD tech that eats memories from TAHITI and just purge it all.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cjg posted:

So are we back to"The Darkhold corrupted Aida"?

It didn't corrupt her. She isn't human. She doesn't have human morals or emotional responses. But she was given a human-like quantum magic brain. She is accutely aware of her own limitations and is struggling to fix the problem in the only way she knows how: cold logic.
It's why she kept the Superior alive the way she did. A fleshy human brain controlling a robot body. I think she hopes to learn what she needs to know to be human from that combination. She doesn't realize that it will never work because her brain didn't develop like a human brain. It didn't grow from nothing and slowly build up experiences, slowly learn language, learn interaction. All that was programmed in and instantly available to her. She doesn't get it and never will. It isn't about what you know but how you learned it that makes us human and not just a robot.
Deep AIs are programmed that way, given basics and then they learn and grow, often in unexpected ways. But Aida wasn't built that way. She just suddenly was.
it's probably why the first Aida was more relatible than the Darkholde quantum magic Aida. The first Aida was built slowly over time and learned as she went. Slowly coming to understand human behavior. As MayB pointed out, when the memories are just uploaded, then you never really did any of that. "I have memories of snow, but this is the first time I've seen snow." Darkholde Aida was built already knowing and that was to her detriment.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Daveski posted:

The Serpent and the Rainbow :colbert:

That movie was the penultimate "based on a true story" second only to Amityville. I still love it and consider it a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Thank goodness the TV show and MCU are no longer in the same universe then!

Canonically? For real?

• Locked thread