Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so i love mount and blade, and played the poo poo out of the original game, napoleonic wars, and that awesome fantasy full conversion mod. really good stuff. so i saw that the Caribbean version of M&B was on sale for $5 yesterday, and grabbed it to see if it was any good

it's pretty awesome. i'm a spanish privateer with a 6th rate ship-of-the-line and 150 crewman, including musketeers, swordsman, harquebusiers, and armored conquistadors. spent a few hours last night turning a profit by running shipbuilding supplies from the yucatan to hispaniola/cuba, then hunted down some tricornered hat wearing shitbird robbers for a handsome reward from the Spanish royal governor

my current plan is to start conquering pirate cities and installing governors and clerks in every city to net me a nice persistent income to pay garrisons and more crews with so i can build up a nice fleet and eventually take over Cuba from the Spanish and keep using their sick unit types

anyway, like all M&B games, it looks like poo poo and is super janky, but the bad reviews it has on steam are pretty unfair and are like 90% people complaining about it not having steam cheevos. i give this game two thumbs up and an imp zone recommendation!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i'd rather wait for bannerlord. see ya

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

but in bannerlord you can't be a cool flintlock pistol wielding pirate badass

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

This wait is loving killing me. I seriously need to give them my money now!!!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yes op I like mount and blade. I turned the whole world orange, then white in the original.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Yes op I like mount and blade. I turned the whole world orange, then white in the original.

then i think you would like, and should consider playing, Blood & Gold: Caribbean

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Im working on a m&b mod which is fashioned after my favorite movie. I think I'll call it Mount and Slingblade. Mmhmm.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With Fire and Sword is also really good but people don't like it because there's no damage reduction on the player by default. I'm dead serious. People didn't play it because it was hard.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

With Fire and Sword is also really good but people don't like it because there's no damage reduction on the player by default. I'm dead serious. People didn't play it because it was hard.

the fire and sword wave survival where every player had a small crew of ai friends they recruited and upgraded was really rad to me, i spent a ton of time in just that mode

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

yeah M&B is a great game, can't wait for bannerlord.. OKAM looks ok but i dont think they have added much besides deathmatch yet

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

It's the combination of no damage reduction and firearms that easily one-hit you at low levels that discouraged the weak from pressing past the first few battles.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I loved Fire and Sword's gunfeel. There should be more games where you have a musket that takes a long time to reload and has a lovely range but murders the gently caress out of anything you hit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also doing the badass Swedish tactic of going with a cavalry unit and unloading your pistols before changing to sabers and loving the enemy up.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I loved Fire and Sword's gunfeel. There should be more games where you have a musket that takes a long time to reload and has a lovely range but murders the gently caress out of anything you hit.

this is exactly how Blood and Gold feels. i fuckin love Napoleonic Wars and transposing those mechanics into a cool pirate setting is just rad. i haven't tried the ship to ship combat yet but i have a feeling it will be fun, but really janky

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With Fire and Sword was cool because you could do like, Swedish pike squares against Crimean horse archers. All the factions had one thing they were amazing at. Like the Muscovites had really good melee weapons so they were great in close quarters and the Swedes had the best rifles

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Evil Eagle posted:

I turned the whole world orange, then white in the original.
cool what other games have you rp'd donald trump in

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Coolguye posted:

cool what other games have you rp'd donald trump in

Ugh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

got a much larger crew now, hired some elite musketeers, getting ready to go hunt some pirates. got completely owned by a crew of corsairs tho, they boarded my ship and hosed up all my puny little pikeman. ship to ship combat is extremely clunky but fun, it's sort of like manually controlling ships in Empire: Total War

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

With Fire and Sword was cool because you could do like, Swedish pike squares against Crimean horse archers. All the factions had one thing they were amazing at. Like the Muscovites had really good melee weapons so they were great in close quarters and the Swedes had the best rifles

Swedes had the best rifles but also the heaviest armor and best cavalry, they were kinda just best all around lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Swedes had the best rifles but also the heaviest armor and best cavalry, they were kinda just best all around lol

Paradox Swedish bias strikes again.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

yes, OP

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharkopath posted:

They could get out maneuvered easily but yeah. A big part of it was how the Eastern tactics were outdated for modern Western equipment

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MP also didn't let the Swedes get as good armor and horses, which is mostly what I played of WF&S

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

then i think you would like, and should consider playing, Blood & Gold: Caribbean

i had no idea this was a thing. Its an official mod or expansion? Is there ship combat?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Mount and Blade is Win

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5J5LEBVCk

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

i had no idea this was a thing. Its an official mod or expansion? Is there ship combat?

its some kind of independent game using the same engine and exact same everything as M&B, and yep, there's ship combat though it's a little odd

proverb
Jan 1, 2009

terrible, horrible,
no good, very bad

Evil Eagle posted:

yellow dominated in my camp, that feel storming the breach at the head of 30 huscarls

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I love M&B. Check out the prophecy of Pendor mod if you want a hard challenge and hilarious voice acting lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Not only do I love mount and blade but I also love game of thrones which is why I play the A CLASH OF KINGS mod for it. So I'm 2 for 2 in being a colossal human being.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

So the M&B equivalent of Caveman Games' Gronk.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Blacktoll posted:

Not only do I love mount and blade but I also love game of thrones which is why I play the A CLASH OF KINGS mod for it. So I'm 2 for 2 in being a colossal human being.

why do you refer to yourself so harshly like that for no reason.. i don't see how any of that makes you a fag

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

proverb posted:

yellow dominated in my camp, that feel storming the breach at the head of 30 huscarls

They were the first to succumb to my horde of Swadian Knights. I really need to do a full campaign of warband some time.

Blacktoll posted:

:what:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I see I am in the right place.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stop posting like a fag dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Unlike other Fail forums your allowed to like whatever you want here, you can even post about it and be excited and no one will flame you unless your being gay at the same time

• Locked thread