Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dave chang had a bit on one of his podcasts about that. And it's good advice. You wanna start learning good technique and practicing your fundamentals start with eggs. They're dirt loving cheap and you can make a billion things with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Adam: Turkey breast meat is usually dry.
Also Adam: I like my dark meat cooked well done

Here we are, we found a worse opinion than well done steaks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's another prick whose name I can't remember who try's and pull the same bullshit cooking advice, kid with long hair. It's probably more a problem with youtube and their godawful algorithms but I keep getting recommendations for these loving worthless morons who've never stepped foot in a kitchen tell me that 150 years of seasoned and tested culinary advice is actually all wrong and I should be air frying my soup or whatever the gently caress.

Youtube if I'm watching a Jacques Pépin video I don't want my recommended videos to be babish loving up a beef wellington twelve ways to sunday.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Joshua Weisman? I can't stand him.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Borsche69 posted:

Actually that reminds me that in the new version of Good Eats, Alton has an episode for eggs. His method for prepping fried eggs is to place a carbon steel pan in the oven at 450 degrees. Once the oven hits the temp, he leaves the pan in there for another 30 minutes. After that he pulls the pan out on the cook top, puts a half table spoon of butter in and drops 2 eggs in. Then he covers the pan with a lid and sets a timer for 4 minutes. After that you get presumably perfect eggs.

Its basically a Ragusea episode through and through. He spends a good 5 minutes complaining about how a range provides inconsistent heat and how 'low' 'medium' 'high' don't really mean anything before turning to a completely unncessary and suitably insane 'hack'. What happens if you want more than 2 eggs? Well you just heat up more carbon steel pans in your oven. Yes, seriously:

I will say though, I have done the oven-steel-egg, and it is pretty consistent and perfectly cooked.

It can be a pain due to the lead-time of heating the oven and pans up, but it does produce a very nice egg.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

piratepilates posted:

I will say though, I have done the oven-steel-egg, and it is pretty consistent and perfectly cooked.

It can be a pain due to the lead-time of heating the oven and pans up, but it does produce a very nice egg.

That's fair enough, I just don't know who the recipe is really for. For someone that might know a little bit about cooking, it's not really an alternative method I would see being used much given the very slight increase in quality for the longer increase in time. It's not like sous vide/reverse sear/pan sear/grill where the alternate techniques can produce a radically different output and sometimes might be outright necessary or superior for a particular cut. And for beginners, there's a little too much 'set it and forget it' type of cooking that isn't necessary for eggs and already exists with the insane amount of slow cooker/instant pot type stuff.

Seems more like something you would use to introduce someone with crippling OCD to cooking, where being able to control everything and stay perfectly consistent every time is key. Or maybe chefs high end restaurants (basically the same thing).

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

It reminds me of his grilled cheese vid which doesn't even accomplish what it set out to do. Why not introduce people to halloumi and other grillable cheeses and make a grilled cheese sandwich that consists of grilled bread and grilled cheese if you're going to emphasis that point so much? Otherwise who's gonna get the grill out and create makeshift griddles from spatulas just for the sake of a grilled cheese? Who is this for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

It reminds me of his grilled cheese vid which doesn't even accomplish what it set out to do. Why not introduce people to halloumi and other grillable cheeses and make a grilled cheese sandwich that consists of grilled bread and grilled cheese if you're going to emphasis that point so much? Otherwise who's gonna get the grill out and create makeshift griddles from spatulas just for the sake of a grilled cheese? Who is this for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY

lmao i forgot about this video, it's just this greasy mess that takes an hour to make and gets like 8 things dirty in the process

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's like half good advice half total bullshit. Adding Smoked paprika and dry mustard is killer with cheese. That thick of break needs way more fat on it than the paltry spraying he gave it. Using olive oil over such a high heat grill is loving nonsense and the lack of surface contact means your gonna get a poo poo uneven crust on the bread.

You could do the exact thing at home by melting the cheese in the microwave, doing the bread in butter in a cast iron.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My grilled cheese hack is using mayonnaise on the outside of the bread instead of butter. Gives a much more even colour.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

My grilled cheese hack is using mayonnaise on the outside of the bread instead of butter. Gives a much more even colour.

Same. I think I picked that one up from Gabrielle Hamilton, maybe from her book.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Use miracle whip

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Use miracle whip

you can pry my Blue Plate out of my cold dead hands

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Same, and instead of the cheese I use tuna.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Quarter tub of crisco on each piece of bread. No more. No less. :colbert:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
lovely drunk grandpa Alton Brown is much better than TV personality Alton Brown

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Use miracle whip

Kewpie all the way

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Casu Marzu posted:

Joshua Weisman? I can't stand him.

weissman is annoying af, but he's a good cook and has some solid recipes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

The worst is when the video starts and he has that crinkled facial expression

Any moment his face isn’t on screen is alright

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GrandmaParty posted:

lovely drunk grandpa Alton Brown is much better than TV personality Alton Brown

:hmmyes:

Gaius Marius posted:

Use miracle whip

I'm in the UK.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Stringent posted:

He's definitely leaning hard into a YouTube personality which is funny cause you can tell he hates it at this point. But if your someone who gets mad at YT cooks without experience then he, at least, is someone who worked in a professional kitchen for several years until his YT kicked off. His baking recipes are also excellent and he uses weight measurements so he's in the top tier of recipe creators for that alone.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Rick posted on his Instagram stories that he's doing a show for Babish. Babish swoopin in and getting all the favs

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm in the UK.

try sir bertram wilberforce's emulsified homogenate then. you can get it in any tescos or within the enchanted wood

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Rick posted on his Instagram stories that he's doing a show for Babish. Babish swoopin in and getting all the favs

This is great, he is a good follow on IG and seems to be living his best life since he left BA.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Eventually the Babish Culinary Universe will grow so big that they can buy BA, and then Brad will be able to appear in the BCU, but recast

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I still have to tell people to stop steaming their wings due to AB

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Sohla and Rick also both have good series on Food52.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

More Rick is good especially because his Food52 thing is only twice a month. Looks like his new series is more him Mazatlan than it is cooking which I'm all for.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I still have to tell people to stop steaming their wings due to AB

I have done his wings recipe in the past and while it works I can't imagine going back to it now that we have air fryers or Kenji's baking powder method. I think AB just reposted his recipe on his personal site so it's not like he's backing away from it either which is just :psyduck:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The second part of the Reply All stuff has popped up on Overcast. Haven't listened yet, but will be doing so while playing some Hades.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Fartington Butts posted:

The second part of the Reply All stuff has popped up on Overcast. Haven't listened yet, but will be doing so while playing some Hades.

I discovered Farideh while playing Hades on my Switch and random cookery youtubes playing in the background. GOTY 2020.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4EGZJLNLs

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That looks like an expensive childrens show. Interesting releasing a travel show right now. Must have been filmed over a year ago.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell yeah, the Motz is coming back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7F4j6_6ruk

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

I want to be George Motz when I grow up.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
George Motz is such a good host, man. I'd rather see him than anyone else on First We Feast. Hell, make him the host of Hot Ones.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I think sean evans is a great interviews-ist! Not a cook at all in the guest appearances he does. But he can get questions out and speak very well.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanna see George *ON* Hot Ones.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I don't get the impression that George Motz is a great interviewer from the early burger show episodes where they had guests in his house. All I need George Motz to do is get unreasonably excited about hamburgers and make the first bite of every one sound like the greatest taste sensation any human has ever experienced.

quote:

I wanna see George *ON* Hot Ones.

There must be a regional hamburger somewhere made with ultra-hot sauces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Haha the thought of George Motz, of all people, being a good interviewer is hilarious. He can't remember what *he* is talking about at any time. I would watch every episode but not for the guests. You watch Hot Ones because that wallpaper paste shaped like a human asks amazing questions while disappearing. Motz would do the exact opposite.