Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

an actual dog posted:

I don't know if this is helpful information or not but I'm not sure if it's an inability to shut up as much as she really doesn't want to be YouTube personality, like she straight up quit a few months ago. She is holding back and if she was more honest it would probably come out worse lol

I'm not sure why she's making videos again but like, Condé Nast is betting the future of their entire organization on video, BA is their biggest hit, and there's a bunch of people's jobs who are basically counting on her showing up. She's probably getting paid pretty well but also I genuinely kinda feel bad for her and hope she can quit for good soon.

That's all pretty fair. I don't know if I so much care about her whining (or whatever you wnat to call it) as much as her inability to see the projects through. I'm sure she has a set period of time to work on things, or at least a set period of time that she wants to work on stuff, but idk. I'm usually on the worker's side 100% here, and perfection is the enemy of good enough, but I feel like she's just sort of 'ehhh gently caress it. i don't care. i'm done with this' and it does get kinda annoying because that is your job.

That said, I think a lot of it is really weird/bad project management. Like with the starbursts video, there was no reason for her to bother making three separate batches for three separate flavors on multiple occasions. There's not even a reason to gently caress around with the flavor at all - just work out the texture. Make a base batch and divide it into 10 separate batches and slowly work more thickener into each one and basically run them all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

an actual dog posted:

Condé Nast is betting the future of their entire organization on video

This is not actually true, sorry.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sourdough doughnuts are something I have actual interest in. Not enough for 3 videos of mostly lovely banter.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sourdough doughnuts are something I have actual interest in. Not enough for 3 videos of mostly lovely banter.

Good news, the third video is all you need to see if you just want a recipe. I loved all three, but if you ain't down for it you can just kinda watch the "success" video.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The video lengths are excessive now but that's Youtube in general. It's why those apology videos are 2 hours long.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drgitlin posted:

This is not actually true, sorry.

It's true for some of their properties. Ars Technica's management has literally said the site will go under without both a huge increase in video views as well as a massive increase in paid subscribers.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Oh really.

Pray tell, do you know who the car editor at that site is?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The video lengths are excessive now but that's Youtube in general. It's why those apology videos are 2 hours long.

I’m packing up for a move and have found the length of the It’s Alive and It’s Alive-adjacent videos make great shows to have on in the background. But in my normal day to day life I don’t have time to watch a 60 minute movie on the perfect cheese for pizza.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Timby posted:

It's true for some of their properties. Ars Technica's management has literally said the site will go under without both a huge increase in video views as well as a massive increase in paid subscribers.

Do you have a link?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

ulmont posted:

Do you have a link?

He doesn’t need one. I have written for Ars Technica since 2004 when I started the science section there. I started the car section in 2014 and have worked for Ars full-time since 2015 running that section.

I am telling you that “everyone at Condé has to pivot to video or they’re dead” is categorically not true.

Betting all your eggs on one move to save the company (pivot to video) might be something other media companies have tried but you need to be doing at all if you want to succeed, not just focusing on making short films.

But I am *dying* for random GWS poster to come back and mansplain my job and my company to me. It should be funny.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol hope you like making videos

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

an actual dog posted:

lol hope you like making videos

LOL, I do as it happens but I haven’t done one in about two years now (which should serve as proof that random SA poster was in fact talking out of their arse).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm mostly joking with you, and I don't think ars and conde nast is gonna stop publishing words and just do videos from now on, but "Condé Nast is betting the future of their entire organization on video" seems pretty accurate for an org shutting down publications and launching a bunch of video series and it's weird to grasp on to that. but yea guess I don't work for them lol

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

an actual dog posted:

I'm mostly joking with you, and I don't think ars and conde nast is gonna stop publishing words and just do videos from now on, but "Condé Nast is betting the future of their entire organization on video" seems pretty accurate for an org shutting down publications and launching a bunch of video series and it's weird to grasp on to that. but yea guess I don't work for them lol

There are plenty of other organizations that actually did what you’re suggesting and are throwing all their resources into video, or there were, because it turns out that won’t save you.

I’ll try this one more time and hope you will understand me. You can decide as a company that you have to ramp up your video stuff without giving up on the text stuff that got you there.

And anyone who even vaguely understands the new media landscape knows that it’s stuff like native advertising that pays the bills now, much more so than video.

Fun times, lets do this all again next month and maybe I can mansplain all your jobs and employers to you lot.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

drgitlin posted:

Fun times, lets do this all again next month and maybe I can mansplain all your jobs and employers to you lot.

I think we mostly agree and you're just being a weirdo

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

drgitlin posted:

There are plenty of other organizations that actually did what you’re suggesting and are throwing all their resources into video, or there were, because it turns out that won’t save you.

I’ll try this one more time and hope you will understand me. You can decide as a company that you have to ramp up your video stuff without giving up on the text stuff that got you there.

And anyone who even vaguely understands the new media landscape knows that it’s stuff like native advertising that pays the bills now, much more so than video.

Cool. I don't give a gently caress. Can you shut up now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yeah since this thread is mostly posts that are just the right side of creepy about people none of y’all actually know I’ll unbookmark it and you can go back to writing your new media fanfic.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: the gently caress happened in here

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You should all just support Chef John. :cool:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

Yeah since this thread is mostly posts that are just the right side of creepy about people none of y’all actually know I’ll unbookmark it and you can go back to writing your new media fanfic.

As if it would be better to make creepy posts about people we do actually know.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol: the gently caress happened in here

People got mansplained

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

You should all just support Chef John. :cool:

He never did Australian meat pies even though i submitted it as a food wish like twenty times :mad:

(I love Chef John and can't be mad at him)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Whalley posted:

He never did Australian meat pies even though i submitted it as a food wish like twenty times :mad:

(I love Chef John and can't be mad at him)

If you play Chef John at 0.75x speed, he's the best stoned chef.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Guys I'm tripping balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzSTqVUWEzU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Scenes from a post-brexit UK

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drgitlin posted:

He doesn’t need one. I have written for Ars Technica since 2004 when I started the science section there. I started the car section in 2014 and have worked for Ars full-time since 2015 running that section.

I am telling you that “everyone at Condé has to pivot to video or they’re dead” is categorically not true.

Betting all your eggs on one move to save the company (pivot to video) might be something other media companies have tried but you need to be doing at all if you want to succeed, not just focusing on making short films.

But I am *dying* for random GWS poster to come back and mansplain my job and my company to me. It should be funny.

I don't have links, because like loving hell if I'm going through comment sections from articles a year, year and a half ago, but Aurich and Lee Hutchinson both said that Ars needs subs and video views, and the idea of video transcripts was done with gritting teeth (which is why the transcripts are just lovely RTFs).

But nice to meet you, Jonathan.

Mansplaining, lol

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 6, 2019

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
why do you let TIMOTHY B. Lee write articles? Can he write anything that's not buttcoins and tesla fan fic?

I enjoyed those BA vids where that one guy recreates something without looking at it. they should do more of those.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks a lot like these folks were involved?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_HReR_McQ

Sounds similar anyway

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The 4 ways to make pancakes video was a joke. I'm not sure who was worse, the level 1 regular guy or the level 3 chef.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
First episode of Good Eats The Return

https://youtu.be/5kg6regArFY

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

And a new Gourmet Makes where Claire is happy and a new It's Alive!

Gonna be a great night in the ol' Grem household.

Zerouac
Sep 15, 2004

ARF
Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

And a new Gourmet Makes where Claire is happy and a new It's Alive!

Gonna be a great night in the ol' Grem household.

I heard they filmed the Brad and Matty Matheson noodling episode and every day I hope it's the magical day when they post it

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

wormil posted:

drat I love Alton brown. Good eats has always been extremely my poo poo.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

wormil posted:

Felt a little slower paced than most of the later Good Eats seasons but that was still fun.

Still love me some Good Eats.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I learn a ton from Good Eats even if it isn't always practical for our lifestyle.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Good Eats is great for beginners. It was invaluable to me when I was first really getting into cooking because he explained the whys behind things which is super important because the underlying reasons can be applied to so many other applications in the kitchen. That's not to say it's JUST for beginners though, I've never made chicken parm because he's right, they usually pretty much suck. I kinda want to try this one. So there's something for everyone but there will be episodes that I'll just check out in the middle of, I'm sure. Another thing to warn you of, his recipes do tend to be rather basic and not all that great but again, that's the nature of keeping it simple enough so it's not intimidating for beginners.

If you guys like Good Eats, certainly check out America's Test Kitchen as they do the same science based cooking but in a much less silly way and the complication of recipes shoots up very dramatically so ATK may be a put off at first to beginners. I've learned over the years that there are some steps both shows recommend that are totally not worth the effort for what you get. Best example I can think of is the Good Eats one where he made tater tots. I tried and gently caress that. It took for loving ever and it tasted the exact same as a bag of Ore Ida tots.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ATK can be great but sometimes the seasoning level sucks rear end. They made a big pot of gumbo and only added like a teaspoon of cayenne.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Every recipe I've made from ATK was bland as gently caress and some of their cooking times are suspect. I do like their product reviews. I learned more from Michael Smith than anyone, wish his show had more seasons.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
ATK can be lacking in spices but as for overall techniques and why you should do things is explained and that's what I was getting at you goofs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I have the ATK cookie book and while the cookies do come out amazing, they are extremely finicky with the amounts and directions (like, 272g flour, half a stick of butter plus a teaspoon, one large egg plus a yolk, only bake during a weekend full moon) and the fact that none of the recipes make more than two dozen cookies makes them kind of not worth all the effort. I can google up a recipe for chocolate chip cookies just as good that doesn't require me to hand whisk the batter three separate times with 15 minute rests in between, and that easier recipe will yield goddamn near forty cookies.