Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gotta get used to seeing Sohla not dressed as a slightly sad Eeyore couch potato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, I have to admit I was a little let down by it being a cooking competition show instead of a highlight these places in our communities show. Good for Sohla for making it, though. She's come a long way :unsmith:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Youtube just recommended me this channel that's just pov cooking footage and it seems neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJafoU_bBS8

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 25, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kevin's been on thin ice for weeks on GBBO but based strictly on this week's performance Janusz really should've hit the bricks. Nothing he made this week was any good and they said Kevin's showstopper was one of the better tasting things in the tent, it was just messy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Thought the exact same thing. Didn’t he come in last in the technical too?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

On aggregate though, Kevin's been clinging on for weeks and weeks, whereas Jan has been really consistent. It's clear he's leagues above Kevin in ability.

In fact, this year the final three have been really obvious from the get go.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fejas73CUiY

Champ don't miss. I make my own gyoza maybe once a year, but I'm gonna have to do it soon.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Thought the exact same thing. Didn’t he come in last in the technical too?

Yeah he and Syabira both got boned by putting their ice cream right into the freezer instead of the fridge first and they didn't set. Unlike Syabira though, Jan didn't have a redeeming bake in either the signature or the showstopper (let alone both like my girl Syabira did) and both of his were pretty bad, relatively speaking.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

mitochondritom posted:

On aggregate though, Kevin's been clinging on for weeks and weeks, whereas Jan has been really consistent. It's clear he's leagues above Kevin in ability.

In fact, this year the final three have been really obvious from the get go.

I’m always unclear on whether they’re supposed to be weighting their judging by prior weeks’ performance. I think there was one episode a few seasons ago where they explicitly said they had to in order to break a virtual tie but I was always under the impression that each week is judged independently of the others. It does seem like they give leeway to people who have demonstrated their ability in prior weeks if they happen to have a bad one, even if they clearly had the worst week of the group.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m always unclear on whether they’re supposed to be weighting their judging by prior weeks’ performance. I think there was one episode a few seasons ago where they explicitly said they had to in order to break a virtual tie but I was always under the impression that each week is judged independently of the others. It does seem like they give leeway to people who have demonstrated their ability in prior weeks if they happen to have a bad one, even if they clearly had the worst week of the group.

My assumption was that each week exists in a vacuum and they only go to prior performance when that week is especially close, yeah. In hindsight it probably was because of that statement last season. I guess it's not a bad way to go about it but I don't really like it when it goes the other way, like someone like Kevin having a fluke decent week but gets eliminated anyway based on prior performance. I guess I don't have a better solution though.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Oh my god they are being brutal on the Bake off this week. Paul and Prue taking no prisoners at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Catching up on Bake Off, just got to Mexican week. :cripes:

They should have genuinely considered not showing this episode.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

This week multiple contestants couldn't pronounce mange tout. I'm not offended, but I am surprised.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The_Doctor posted:

Catching up on Bake Off, just got to Mexican week. :cripes:

They should have genuinely considered not showing this episode.

But where else can I learn about tackos, pico de gallow, and gawackomaoli

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mob posted:

But where else can I learn about tackos, pico de gallow, and gawackomaoli

ahem, glockymolo

The Mexican episode was a bit cringe but it's pretty much what I expected from a bunch of Brits who only have a passing familiarity with the country/cuisine so I didn't think it was that bad.

It would be like someone from Thailand laughing at an American cooking competition that focused on Cambodian cuisine one week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In the UK’s defence, our exposure to Mexican stuff in general is going to be incredibly slim unless you live in London and seek it out. And even then you can’t get decent Mexican food here at all. At best you might get a passings burrito from a Chipotle or something.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Which is fine, of course. I wouldn't expect that anyway. There's no real cultural exchange between England and Mexico.

So why in the soggy bottom gently caress did they chose to do Mexican week??

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

To get a clueless Bristolian woman to mispronunce a load of words for the lols.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It's on the hosts and the production team this. They knew they wanted a Mexican week, why not actually do some research into Mexican baking, don't set a bad taco as the technical, and stop Paul from confusing the tortilla for the taco. Why have super under soaked tres leches? I don't expect the contestants to be up on it, but for the production team there's very little excuse.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Carillon posted:

It's on the hosts and the production team this. They knew they wanted a Mexican week, why not actually do some research into Mexican baking, don't set a bad taco as the technical, and stop Paul from confusing the tortilla for the taco. Why have super under soaked tres leches? I don't expect the contestants to be up on it, but for the production team there's very little excuse.

it feels like paul has too much control and/or the actual food production team is extremely bad this year or some combination of both

part of that is that it seems like Prue is increasingly just saying "lol if my opinion mattered you'd get a handshake but"

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 5, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

In the UK’s defence, our exposure to Mexican stuff in general is going to be incredibly slim unless you live in London and seek it out. And even then you can’t get decent Mexican food here at all. At best you might get a passings burrito from a Chipotle or something.

Hey every supermarket has Old El Paso stuff now that's authentic right :sun:

Especially the crispy battered chicken fajita kit (extra mild)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Hey every supermarket has Old El Paso stuff now that's authentic right :sun:

Especially the crispy battered chicken fajita kit (extra mild)

Nah that poo poo's made in New York City.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Admiral Joeslop posted:

NEW YAWK CITAY??

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Everyone relax, Paul has been to Mexico a few times, he’s an expert

mystes
May 31, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

lol I totally forgot about those ads

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mystes posted:

lol I totally forgot about those ads

They've been burned into my brain since I was five or six.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

more falafel please posted:

NEW YAWK CITAY??

God damnit. Now that stupid pace advert is in my head again. The stupid thing is that I can get a salsa that’s 100 times better than Pace in drat near any Mexican restaurant in New York City. And New York City doesn’t have really good Mexican food like I’d seen in Texas.

dino. fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 6, 2022

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

Gotta get used to seeing Sohla not dressed as a slightly sad Eeyore couch potato

It’s those aprons they had them wearing at BA. All of them made the women look like they’re in some weird cult where you have to wear flour sack dresses, but your mom can’t sew, so you just wear the literal flour sack. I get that they may be functional, but dear gods are they ugly.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

dino. posted:

It’s those aprons they had them wearing at BA. All of them made the women look like they’re in some weird cult where you have to wear flour sack dresses, but your mom can’t sew, so you just wear the literal flour sack. I get that they may be functional, but dear gods are they ugly.

I don't think BA "had them wearing" those, I'm pretty sure they chose them for themselves. Molly Baz pushed them hard, but not everyone wore them. Claire wore a regular one I'm pretty sure.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I don't think BA "had them wearing" those, I'm pretty sure they chose them for themselves. Molly Baz pushed them hard, but not everyone wore them. Claire wore a regular one I'm pretty sure.

She might have eventually done, but I remembered her rocking them too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah Molly especially was into that style. I can't say I blame her, as long as the thing's functional it's an apron and doesn't have to be overly flattering imo. It's not like Brad doesn't go out there looking like a wet dog most of the time.

They even did a feature on Molly's style.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Molly’s new YouTube series seems like a riff on the old BA style with people popping in and out. It was a little chaotic for me, plus I do not like her husband’s vibe at all.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It’s not that I need everyone to look like a supermodel or wear a corset while cooking. But spending $80 (!!!) on an ugly shapeless sack is a new level of more money than sense.

Edit: like. Why are people looking at those Cathy Mitchell infomercials and think, “oh poo poo, I want to look like that too!”

To wit:

https://youtu.be/dZTtVl7PZBY

https://youtu.be/M0qoIzMk0KM

dino. fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 6, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Carla’s YouTube series has been shockingly good, especially since I didn’t care for her BA material. Its editing is quirky in a kinda “hey there fellow kids” way but her recipes are cool stuff I’d make, the food looks delicious, she’s really chill and her kids are great.

By contrast Molly’s series feels uncomfortable in a way I can’t quite put my finger on, and Claire’s baking series has been pretty stale.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Molly is doing fine cooking videos she just seems like a psychopath

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vegetable posted:

Carla’s YouTube series has been shockingly good, especially since I didn’t care for her BA material. Its editing is quirky in a kinda “hey there fellow kids” way but her recipes are cool stuff I’d make, the food looks delicious, she’s really chill and her kids are great.

By contrast Molly’s series feels uncomfortable in a way I can’t quite put my finger on, and Claire’s baking series has been pretty stale.

It was pretty obvious Molly was one of the least knowledgeable cooks on BA, and a lot of her episodes were centered around princess scenarios, which required a lot of crew work. Now that she’s on her own she has to rely on her own talent. Why in the world did she leave BA?

Carla had a lot of “I’ve been doing this for a long time” workhorse energy that I respected, I’ll check out her YouTube

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Steve Yun posted:

It was pretty obvious Molly was one of the least knowledgeable cooks on BA, and a lot of her episodes were centered around princess scenarios, which required a lot of crew work. Now that she’s on her own she has to rely on her own talent. Why in the world did she leave BA?

Scruples?

But no, she worked as a line cook at a bunch of places before BA, so she has plenty of experience. It's this:

mystes posted:

she just seems like a psychopath

That said, we tried making her white bean "Bolognese" pasta and sausage breakfast sandwiches and both were very good.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Steve Yun posted:

Why in the world did she leave BA?

I have a hard time ragging on any of the ex cast for leaving to fight against racism and uphold class solidarity. Even if I've never liked them.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Don't think she's still a full-timer, but she has been contributing to Bon Appetite once a month or so for awhile now: https://www.bonappetit.com/contributor/molly-baz

Fwiw her recipe for sour cream biscuits was a great intro to biscuit recipes in general and I still make it pretty frequently. The iffy quality to me comes from her mentions of ski trips and just an air of someone who came from money. Seems like a fine cook tho and I still might yet buy her book.

Regarding the fallout, it's fun to see who continues to make stuff with eachother. Kind of like how you can infer Tommy Wiseau is an actually impossible person to work with given how few times he's reappeared in The Room fan's works (Disaster Artist, Tim and Eric, etc.)

Haven't seen many folks working with Brad since the blowup. Likewise a quick run through of Claire's channel doesn't seem to include any cameo's from other people save an early one with Gaby. But Carla's shown up a couple of times in others stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think there’s any value in reverse engineering non collabs to conclude whether someone was a douche or not. The BA alumni have generally not worked together since things kicked off and that’s easily explained by the fact that food videos aren’t usually collaborative in nature.

That said it was pretty frustrating when Kenji ended up making salt boxes or whatever wooden goods with Brad a year back or so.