Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I also loved watching The Frugal Gourmet

The Frugal Gourmet taught me how to cook an omelet when I was a kid, and his was the first cookbook I ever had. Still have it on my shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

On the other hand, Alton Brown is a garbage human

Uh, what?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Food Network is super repping Bobby Flay right now. They have other people on staff still, right?

Discovery has done a ton of layoffs, as I recall. Basically the only stuff they do now is Chopped, Beat Bobby Flay, that stupid-rear end baking / cake show and daytime programming that costs them like $20 / episode to make. I guess they have a new season of Restaurant Impossible coming out soon, but God knows how long ago that was shot.

Timby fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 22, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drgitlin posted:

This is not actually true, sorry.

It's true for some of their properties. Ars Technica's management has literally said the site will go under without both a huge increase in video views as well as a massive increase in paid subscribers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drgitlin posted:

He doesn’t need one. I have written for Ars Technica since 2004 when I started the science section there. I started the car section in 2014 and have worked for Ars full-time since 2015 running that section.

I am telling you that “everyone at Condé has to pivot to video or they’re dead” is categorically not true.

Betting all your eggs on one move to save the company (pivot to video) might be something other media companies have tried but you need to be doing at all if you want to succeed, not just focusing on making short films.

But I am *dying* for random GWS poster to come back and mansplain my job and my company to me. It should be funny.

I don't have links, because like loving hell if I'm going through comment sections from articles a year, year and a half ago, but Aurich and Lee Hutchinson both said that Ars needs subs and video views, and the idea of video transcripts was done with gritting teeth (which is why the transcripts are just lovely RTFs).

But nice to meet you, Jonathan.

Mansplaining, lol

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 6, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish Good Eats would get back onto Hulu along with some more Cutthroat Kitchen, I love it when cooking shows are less "make this" and more "make something probably edible"

Discovery is really weird about their licensing for streaming. Like, they'll throw on a half-dozen random episodes of ICA and Restaurant Impossible, then leave them up there for two years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Democratic Pirate posted:

“Does Guy Fieri like that dish?” is the best television mini game. More empty catchphrases = less bites = more dislike of dish.

Basically he's like Christopher Kimball: If the dish has anything more than a dash or two of black pepper, he's going to whine about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Has anyone seen this new Jeff Mauro show, Kitchen Crash, on Food Network? Even for FN, it wears its fake bullshit on its sleeve (and for the love of God, stop trying to make Mauro a Thing, he has all the charisma of a soaking wet pair of swim trunks).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjdwDr9xA8

Babish did a video with Rick!

More accurately, it's a Rick video on Babish's channel.

This is fun, but it's hard for me to articulate just how much I really detest the over-enunciation of ethnic words. Giada de Laurentiis and Aaron Sanchez do the same thing: They speak perfect English and then feel the need to switch into an accent in order to say words like "pasta" or "taco."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Food Network has been running a marathon of last year's Tournament of Champions, and Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I forgot how much of a crybaby Scott Conant is about red onions.