Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I can see why Weissman isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he's doing very important work in the "reconstructing american fast food dishes as actual food" field that I appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

captkirk posted:

That was one of the things that was the beginning of the end of me watching Weissman. "Can I make food that tastes better than food that was optimized for cost and speed in a commercial setting? I can and it only cost me $70 and 3 hours!"
I actually like those types of videos a lot. Of course it's not hard to do "better" than McDonald's, but I like someone giving me a foolproof walkthrough on how to make a more elevated take on some of my favorite garbage food.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Downside, running the microwave for nearly 25 minutes.
Yeah just not sure I can really get behind that one

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

flesh dance posted:

No love for Matty Matheson? Sometimes he's way too much, but then I get in a specific mood and watch a ton of his videos in a day

as a result of this I recently made his brick chicken diavolo (using bone-in skin-on thighs instead of a whole spatchcocked bird, and no brick because I didn't have any that weren't covered in dirt and worms) and it loving slapped
That sausage and peppers video was a real showstopper too. Why have I not been loving with hungarian hots my whole life? I like Matty's content, but the recipes are sometimes a little too extravagant for me. Yeah like he can throw it all together in 30 minutes or whatever, but I'm not that guy.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Grem posted:

Do they still just require like a ten square foot fenced outside area attached to the gross building they're in?

That free range poo poo was a scam.
Yeah, pretty much.

Eater has a pretty good breakdown of what terms actually mean:
https://www.eater.com/2019/7/17/20696498/whats-the-difference-cage-free-free-range-pasture-raised-eggs

quote:

Cage-free, a term regulated by the USDA, means that the eggs come from hens that, put simply, aren’t caged: They can “freely roam a building, room, or enclosed area with unlimited access to food and fresh water during their production cycle, but [do] not have access to the outdoors.” Considering the conventional cage is 8 ˝ by 11 inches, or the size of a piece of paper, this seems like a better lifestyle — but there are downsides, too. According to All About Eggs by Rachel Khong, cage-free facilities have more hen-on-hen violence and lower air quality than facilities that use cages.

Free-range, another USDA term, means that the eggs come from hens that have some sort of access to the outdoors. However, it doesn’t mean that the hens actually go outdoors, or that the outdoor space is more than a small, fenced-in area; it simply implies that a door exists that a farmer could at some point open.

Pasture-raised is not a term regulated by the USDA; however, if the carton says “pasture-raised” and also includes stamps that say “Certified Humane” and/or “Animal Welfare Approved,” it means that each hen was given 108 square feet of outdoor space, as well as barn space indoors. This is pretty much as close to the bucolic, E-I-E-O farm vibe you’ll get when dealing with large-scale egg producers, so if you’re looking to support those practices, keep a look out for those labels.