Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

eke out posted:

very excited to see what, based on his taskmaster episodes, i assume will be a massive clusterfuck when david baddiel attempts to bake things

Will Rob Beckett's big teeth give him an advantage? Will Katherine Ryan destroy anymore familial trust in a bid to win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Stringent posted:

weissman is annoying af, but he's a good cook and has some solid recipes

He's definitely leaning hard into a YouTube personality which is funny cause you can tell he hates it at this point. But if your someone who gets mad at YT cooks without experience then he, at least, is someone who worked in a professional kitchen for several years until his YT kicked off. His baking recipes are also excellent and he uses weight measurements so he's in the top tier of recipe creators for that alone.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgMUHEIBNMs

Joshua Weissman worked a 24h "shift" at his old job to showcase all that goes into keeping a high end restaurant going.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

A ton of his recipes he just credits to America's Test Kitchen or Kenji, especially early on.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Yeah his recipes are solid (though sometimes absurdly expensive/time consuming) but he "memes" super hard, and like it works for him, he's gotten millions of subscribers since he started doing it (with the help of that Babish bump obviously) but it is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Bogart posted:

I remember when Watcher (the Buzzfeed Unsolved boys splitting off from Buzzfeed and their unfunny friend) started doing "HERE'S AN EPIC MAC AND CHEESE YOU CAN MAKE FOR $800!!!" and the conspicuous consumption legitimately made me unsubscribe. Like, yeah man, I'm sure it's great, but I can also make an epic ftw maccy cheez for, like, $20, and that's with getting some fancy cheese.

This is slightly disingenuous, it's not about you making the stupidly overpriced dishes, it's about the Worth It host who can't cook absolutely struggling to make dishes for his friends (aka mostly white dudes from Buzzfeed and asian american celebrities who live in LA). It's still a waste of food, but also he's a dude who can't cook who's had his sense of "high quality" food warped by 5 years of eating like, pizzas covered in truffles and gold leaf.

If memory serves a lot of the Mac & Cheese's cost came from him deciding to shave an entire truffle on top of it cause he wanted his friend to have some truffle. They spent like a grand making fried chicken but that's cause they actually bought a whole wheel of high quality parmesan so they could do that that weird "light the parm wheel on fire to make a sauce" thing.

He's not great at the whole cooking thing, he's just like a kid getting to choose his ice cream toppings but applied to treating his friends.

Queer Salutations fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 20, 2022