Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
TikTok has a lot of my least favorite trend: Telling people to season their food because they didn't use a bunch of dried spices. You'll see someone put aromatics, herbs, salt and pepper in their food and the top comment will be "omg, season your food"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
White people food is usually:
* Mayonnaise (ignore the Japanese obsession with it)
* Excessive cheese or dairy (ignore that this is usually stunt food and even Wisconsin doesn't cook with dairy like Tiktok content mills do)
* Unseasoned (this usually means no dried spices. Salt, pepper, herbs, and aromatics aren't enough. But also includes just bad, underseasoned food)
* Hot dish/casserole (I would argue these are a good for using convenience ingredients, being fairly low effort, high calorie, and have an interesting historical origin but yeah, they can suck)
* Overcooked (chicken cooked to death, steaks cooked well done, etc)
* Ultra-processed or not healthy (this actually ties into the issue of old timey orientalism where "exotic" stuff like kimchi has Ancient Wisdom which makes it a super food, where as sauerkraut is weird and shouldn't be eaten. But also ties into issues of industrialized food moving into developing nations, or forced onto indigenous people, and displacing culturally relevant foods and also the health risks involved with an over abundance of calories)
* Fried (this actually gets weird because you'll also get people talking about the African origins of fried chicken but I think the equation with white people food comes from Midwest state fairs where, to be fair, a lot of poo poo gets fried and the demographics are very white)

Honestly they manage to miss out the real weird white people food, like loving lutefisk.

As you may have noticed, I have Thoughts on this meme and I have been drinking.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Veskit posted:

It's so hard to know what actual white people food is considering how much europe appropriated the food all the way from mince pie to tikki masala.

It's not about food actually eaten by white people, it's about the meme of "white people food". It's like the difference between what Japanese people eat and the meme of Japanese food. Japanese home cooking is gonna include curry, meatloaf (sorta, hambagu is sorta like a small meat loaf), fried chicken and people will eat pizza and burgers but then there is the meme of Japanese food as hand crafted using ancient wisdom handed down through harsh apprenticeships (sushi chefs who spend years just washing the rice) and includes sushi, sushi, not to mention sushi, and sometimes teriyaki or ramen.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Am I unusual in assuming the entire GBBO Mexican episode was meant to manufacture controversy?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Ragusea or Cheblowski are okay, though not a fan of Cheblowski's presentation (he has a lot of videos that are basically influencer 'what i eat in a day' content, I like some of the recipes but hate the format). I like Ragusea though maybe that's because he does things I also like to do (like when he grew a loaf of bread).

I liked Weissman for a while but his schtick got a little old and his screen personality turned up to 11 is kind of intolerable.''

I like Kenji's YouTube content, I think it's a good contrast to all the previously listed channels because it's very low key, in a kitchen that was not staged for film and none of the draw is spectacle. Though I can see how the go-pro and mouth sounds can grate on folks.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

egg tats posted:

part of the thing there is that "can you make a better tasting version of fast food" is always going to come down to "yes, obviously"

That was one of the things that was the beginning of the end of me watching Weissman. "Can I make food that tastes better than food that was optimized for cost and speed in a commercial setting? I can and it only cost me $70 and 3 hours!"

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I just found a TikTok channel that is just a Japanese highschool (basing off of the uniform pants and the timber of voices in the background) boy opening up the bento packed by his mom filmed go-pro style. No commentary or anything, just him opening it and the occasion "oooh" or subdued "sugoi" in the background. 10/10, very wholesome.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

hello, dont say it without a link??
Whoops!

https://www.tiktok.com/@thanks_mother

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

anakha posted:

I've been binging a lot of Japanese travel and food YT channels the past couple of years, and I appreciate the silent approach most of them take.

What's interesting is that Japanese TV has a reputation for the exact opposite. Every food is loudly "oishii!!!!!" and "sugoi!!!!".

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
IDK I thought the best part about Cutthroat Kitchen was how everyone involved, including the producers and editors, were aware the drama doesn't matter and only put the smallest amount of effort into generating drama.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

My all time favorite Cutthroat Kitchen moment was when one chef realized about 2/3rds of the way through making brisket and gravy that Alton had actually asked for biscuits and gravy, and he still made it past the round because one of his competitors put fishing tackle on his plate as a garnish and the judge got pissed as hell about how dangerous that was

I remember that episode! I *howled* when he realized.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Now I want to Beat Bobby Flay but as competitive Red Rover.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

I saw that sponsor and was surprised there wasn't any backlash in the comments at the time.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m really annoyed that Babish got the stupid Hogwarts deal because I was really liking all the videos Alvin put out. Alvin should go Super Saiyan and toss Babish out a window and make a TERF-money-free channel where he just makes Kingdom Hearts recipes until the end of time

I'm not sure Alvin can do that yet. Having the space, lighting, camera and sound gear, and off-screen kitchen talent lets him skip a couple years of building up his channel so he can afford the upgrades.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
To rephrase what others have said: Depriving Rowling of a little money is meaningless. That's not even what she really gets out of HP anymore (throw a few more millions on the pile or don't, doesn't make much of a difference to her with the wealth she does have now). What she gets is the ability to say "millions of regular, normal people support me, so of course what I'm saying can't be that bad. They wouldn't read Harry Potter if it was written by Hitler!" The social capital she has from HP gives her a shield.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mystes posted:

I'm not sure if you're saying "depriving Rowling of money is meaningless so it doesn't matter if you buy the wizard game because all she really needs to spread bigotry is social capital from HP and she has that anyway" or "depriving Rowling of money is meaningless but buying the wizard game is harmful because by supporting HP it gives Rowling social capital that she will use to spread bigotry"

The latter.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Uncle Roger was interesting for about 3 weeks.

Then the fact he's just putting on a kind of racist act and commenting on literally any Asian food from channels that might actually specialize in that food got real old. Like sure, this channel is dedicated to ramen and has documented the owners experiments with various types of ramen, flavors and techniques but I'm sure this random comedian from the UK has some useful insights into making a bowl of ramen.

This has become a pet peeve of mine like people who can't cook commenting about how a white chef needs to learn to season their food.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mystes posted:

british people are actually capable of making jokes

I'll believe it when I see it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Were there any jokes there or just a series of racist rear end statements about Mexicans?

captkirk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 25, 2023

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Fartington Butts posted:

Next Top Chef is gonna be in Wisconsin with Kristin Kish hosting. Neat.

I grew up in Wisconsin and I'm sort of dreadkng this because I know a bunch of the discourse is going to be empty brain takes using stereotypes of Midwestern food.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I am watching the first episode of Five Star Chefs and one of the contestants is talking about how he got his first kitchen job while he was living in the loving woods because he had split with his partner and was homeless. Since he's on the show he obviously did well in the industry and now has his own restaurant. Of course it all gets played up as a "rags to riches" arc instead of a "holy gently caress the British safety net has massive holes in it".

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's not really a food tv show, but it remains a guilty pleasure. Hell's Kitchen is back!

I just started up the first episode and holy poo poo that description of the American dream as "The American dream isn't 'come in and make friends and live a jolly life' it's to sacrifice and give it your all to achieve your dreams", as a response to people chatting a little in kitchen, in the context of a reality TV competition where you'll be screamed at by a millionaire and you compete under the pretense of a meritocracy and whatever person rises to the top of that is rewarded (in part) with the chance to work for a wage under the guy who has been screaming at you... It feels very accidentally on the nose because I don't think Fox is self aware enough for that.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hell's Kitchen continues to be the comfort trash tv it's always been. Really enjoying how ham-fisted the AMERICAN DREAM theme is this season. It's so, so unnatural and painful everytime someone brings it up.

I normally get through Hells Kitchen by skipping the dinner service sections. This year I can't make it through because of the AMERICAN DREAM stuff. Maybe if it wasn't so "America section in a novelty store over seas", hosted by a Brit, and written to air and fit in on Fox?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

It’s 100% diet. Carotenoids cause orange yolks. Free range chickens are more likely to eat food that has them. You can make orange yolks through factory farming but most places are too cheap to source ingredients that would result in orange yolks

In Japan, orange yolks are their equivalent of white shells in the US (only has aesthetic value, but it still has taken over preceptions of what good eggs are). So you can find YouTube videos and poo poo that include "Just look at how much better eggs in Japan are than in the US!"

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mystes posted:

People think eggs with white shells are better?

Less so in the recent decade. But there's a (marketing) reason all supermarket eggs were white in the 90s.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Visuals are a huge part of taste and blind taste tests are so unrealistic they might as well be useless. Can’t tell my brain that a pale rear end yolk is better than an orange yolk.

When Serious Eats was doing their test of different types of eggs they chose to dye the eggs blue to remove ability to perceive the color difference. Though, I can't imagine the color had a particularly positive, or even neutral, impact on the perceived flavor.

On another topic: I've been watching Masterchef Australia (season 15) and everytime they say "cooker" I can't help myself but to chime in with "COO-KAH!" I thought I had gotten over that and then I go to the slow cook/overnight episode.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Blown away that Next Level Chef got a third season. People. There's so many better worlds out there. Egad.

Maybe science will advance far enough, someday, to explain what the appeal of the show is.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Top Chef Cheese and Alcoholism Edition starts in 10 minutes

0/10, not one contestant asked how the chefs were doing, how their parents are, or asked "d'jeet?". Their Midwest game is weak.

More seriously, I wasn't sure about the format for the challenge this time. I thought it made the episode not hang together as well. But the chef who I wanted to go home went home so, that's not too bad.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Weissman would probably crush just about everyone, unfortunately, and be even more annoyingly smug.

Challenges could include "don't use your catch phrase quickfire" or "budget battle but you can't use a hundred bucks in stocked spices, priced down to per tsp for the recipe" and Weissman would be immediately eliminated.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Season 21 Episode 2

No real spoilers, just me bitching about them not showing off my state better:

Ughghgh I know they need sponsors to make the show but I was so bummed the beer the beer they featured is Miller. We have so many amazing craft breweries! Though breweries like New Glarus, one of the larger craft brewers in WI, doesn't distribute outside the state so it's not like they'd jump on a chance to sponsor.

Also, when one of the contestants mentioned she plays D&D the show didn't even bother to mention it was made in WI!

Okay some actual spoilers

I think many of the dishes in the team challenge lost the plot on the bar snacks theme, like the eggplant dish that had some crushed pistachios as a garnish. But like the potato pave though, I think kept better to the idea of bar snacks. Or the pretzel and mustard dessert!

captkirk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 29, 2024

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
You Suck At Cooking would rock at a Cuthroat Kitchen style competition. No knives? Won't slow YSAC! He'd slice veg with editing magic by throwing them against the wall.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
S21E3
Tom has a lot of opinions I don't get... but he was absolutely right to make fun of everyone doing croquettes. I wanted to see more of the interesting dishes. Give me a beer cheese soup dumpling or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

For a few other seasons they've done "here's how you cook this winning dish", but the format and name kept changing. Seems like for this season they're calling it "Top Chef: The Dish With Kish" and it's Kristen and a Top Chef Alum just cooking something related to the episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-7s1wnWo4 Was a little more interesting when they did the straight winners dish, as it's a lot of fun seeing what actually went into it (lots and lots of butter).

D'awww... little Marcel grew up into an adult!