Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Faceless corporation doesn't recognize that its success came because its employees made it happen despite leadership's interference? It must be Wednesday.

We all knew that they weren't going to learn a thing from this as soon as they suspended Hunzi. It's a shame that only Rapo is going to see any consequences, and I'm sure he'll be making director money somewhere else soon enough. He's tall, white, and can wear a suit, after all.

I hope the cool kids will make something cool somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

No Hunzi, no watch.

Also if you pay "equitably" but do not provide equity in opportunity, you aren't being equitable. If the new additions get shows developed for them and those shows get supported well, that'll be something. If not, that'll be expected.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Never seen so many people whine about a stupid recipe since Italians on Youtube. You shouldn't be allowed to leave any comments on recipe pages unless you have video proof of yourself making it without subsitutions and tasting it first.

I don't think anyone is upset because this recipe tastes bad.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe like six year olds, but by ten a child should absolutely know basic knife skills, this coddling of the youth is why half the young people I know can't peel a potato.

I mean I almost certainly am, but I grew up dirt poor, and whenever I see one of these out of touch rich assholes tell me how to do anything I want to gut them. I wasn't even that mad until I saw the poo poo about poor neighborhoods, What loving poor neighborhood has ground loving poultry and not Bone in Thighs. And just mincing your own will save you five bucks just on one meal.

His thing about nutrition is also just wrong, low fat was a bullshit effort by the sugar conglomerates and corn lobby to increase sales, having a higher fat diet would help out a lot of people.

So I think you may just be mad, and Kenji fit the shape of the people you're mad at?

I mean you're not really wrong about anything here in general, you're just being really peculiarly aggro about a recipe printed in a magazine edited by people you don't agree with anyway. No one who edits a magazine is going to understand actual poverty, and people in actual poverty aren't going to improve their station in life by following recipes in magazines. It's entirely performative, meant so the magazine's editors can Feel Like they're Supporting Good Causes, and I think the recipe writer is probably the person least involved in maintaining the cycle of injustice.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Italian Chef VALIDATES your FEELINGS of SUPERIORITY over IDIOTS doing FOOD BAD!!!

British Chef DESTROYS untrained cook who DARES to TRY exhibiting EMPATHY!!!

Internet dweller MOCKS people making CONTENT he WATCHES and PROMOTES!!!

I'm glad there are people being positive and enjoying things. Claire's video teaching her brother in law how to bake is neat.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Rick is an adult and is allowed to decide how he wants to pronounce the words he records on his own show. You can pronounce your words the way you want on your show. I'm pretty sure he's not using Spanish pronunciations to feel superior to the people selling him Mexican food in Mexico and getting mad about a bilingual person saying some words in perfect English and some words in perfect Spanish seems like the least important thing that there ever has been.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I'm not a linguistics expert, but in my visits to the UK I've noticed that the English often go out of their way to pronounce French loan-words differently than the French do. Whether it's a conscious (or even real) thing or not, I don't know, but it amuses me to think that they're still fighting wars with words.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The iffy quality to me comes from her mentions of ski trips and just an air of someone who came from money.

The dirty secret of industries that rely on low- and un-paid apprenticeships/internships is that they self-select for people who have money. Food, fashion, film, and music are bad about this, and media focusing on those things is worse.

Of course this is also a factor in YouTube too, because it takes a LOT of time to gain success and generally you need someone supporting you to succeed in that.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

thatsbait.gif

I've really been enjoying Lucas Sin's videos. He goes really deep into the theory behind what he shows in his recipes, and offers ways to riff as well. It's super dense and I always come away feeling like I've learned new fundamentals. Even though I don't anticipate making many of his recipes I still learn techniques I can apply elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpgVmLMAOzs

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I watch a bunch of food YouTube, but the majority of stuff I attempt to make comes from Kenji's videos (second place is Carla). He makes good, approachable food and explains the techniques well.

Dude just needs to log off and stop correcting the internet, which I think is the source of most of the hate.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

mystes posted:

What are you referring to here? Where is he doing that?

He has been pretty active in his videos' comments and/or Twitter in the past, sometimes getting fairly strident in the process. I haven't seen it in a while because I dropped Twitter and stopped reading comments, so if he's gotten better about that, good for him.

My point was he makes good videos that I can turn into good meals and I like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I've read nothing but good things about the Hogwarts game and thousands of people worked on it. It's not fair to boycott a game because one person is a bigoted idiot. You won't see her name mentioned anywhere near the game.

It's true that a lot more people involved in making this game are cool and there's one bigot shouting about it. I also think that boycotts aren't really effective at changing behavior. The issue is that if this game pays out the way most licenses do, here's the breakdown for revenue:

30% goes to the licensor
30% goes to the platforms (Sony/MS/Steam)
40% goes to the publisher and they give some of that to the studio after they take their expenses out.

So in this case it's very likely that more money goes to the one bigot than to the thousands of cool people who made a good game. It's extremely fair to consider that when making a purchase.