Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ulmont posted:

That's how the non-California states operate, yes.

Sounds like other states should adapt to the CA system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

The worst thing about Chang from watching Ugly Delicious is that he’s very dismissive of things he feels are beneath him. The really lovely way he treated that pizza delivery guy for example, which I honestly can’t believe they kept in. That’s the sort of thing that tells you everything you need to know about someone.

It's funny you saying this really opened up my perspective. It's been a minute but when I watched it I really read it as more social anxiety and Chang not knowing how to interact with folks, but yeah in retrospect I think you're on to something with the contempt or dismissive side of things.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

This was a very classic version of an own goal. What a bunch of idiots.

Edit: to clarify that's the BA execs not the team.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

enki42 posted:

She went really nutty for Caesar salads (sorry, "Cae sal") in a BA video.

I really don't get it. I guess it's a fine enough salad, but who honestly really gets that excited about it? Sort of feels like a tired old steakhouse staple.

Oh man I really love a good Caesar salad, done correctly it can send me over the moon. That said I feel it's a low floor/high ceiling sort of thing. A bad one is meh or worse than, but yeah a good one is really exciting to me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Every summer for a few years now we'll have a couple of weeks where temperatures soar to record highs, it'll get get really humid, and generally everyone fails to cope because the UK has never really had to deal with that sort of thing before. People are just starting to invest in AC for their homes (it's still pretty fledgling, traditionally our homes are built for keeping heat in during the winter), while modern offices have been blessed for a couple of decades now. The Bake Off tent should have had AC units for just this sort of occasion. Everyone looked like they were dying, and with the added complication of ice cream, they could have rolled the wall flaps down and brought in a couple of portable units to get at least a level of comfort for them.

I've read that they don't use ac because you can hear it and it interferes with the sound. Apparently there's enough trouble with sound in the tent?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

.Z. posted:

Priya vs Sohla couple's "gingerbread" house match. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksgkpdxPPy8

That was so cool. I loved Sohla/Hams house, but was blown away by falling water in gingerbread. Would I rather eat Sohlas? Absolutely, but man what an achievement, very much an architect.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently being on YouTube pays really loving well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0-5FZ2Eww

What I found interesting is how this new found house doesn't seem to have settled on him yet. I don't know a lot about Babish or watch much outside of his work with Sohla, but I found it interesting that he both was pretty self-aware but also awkward and apologetic about the luxury the house represented. The perfect example would be the black and white photo of Balthazar, he tries to both contextualize it and explain why it's important but then also undercuts himself by talking about how it was the second google image search. Was a bit of a strange watch.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It's not my favorite show, but I love to annoy my girlfriend when she's watching the show if she'sbl Beat Bobby Flay Off. Juvenile? Yes, but it makes me laugh.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe like six year olds, but by ten a child should absolutely know basic knife skills, this coddling of the youth is why half the young people I know can't peel a potato.

I mean I almost certainly am, but I grew up dirt poor, and whenever I see one of these out of touch rich assholes tell me how to do anything I want to gut them. I wasn't even that mad until I saw the poo poo about poor neighborhoods, What loving poor neighborhood has ground loving poultry and not Bone in Thighs. And just mincing your own will save you five bucks just on one meal.

His thing about nutrition is also just wrong, low fat was a bullshit effort by the sugar conglomerates and corn lobby to increase sales, having a higher fat diet would help out a lot of people.

Like I get you're pissed, but the comment about neighborhoods was unrelated to the comment about bone in thighs.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

He made national news once when he said he wouldn't serve any republicans in his restaurant during a temper tantrum. I'm sure it felt great at the time but he walked that back real quick.

I think it was MAGA hats that were verboten.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks to this thread I've started watching Crime Scene Kitchen, but I'm not sure I understand the competition format. The second episode has 6 whole new teams, but someone went home last time? How many teams are involved here.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

There's a A set of 6 teams and a B set of 6 teams. They alternate A and B shows. When both A and B get down to 3 teams (I assume) they combine from then on.

They didn't want to have to cover 24 people and 24 desserts in an hour, but they also didn't want only 6 teams to compete in the whole season. This way they get 12 teams to compete but they have more time to show each one.

I have a friend who's way too into The Masked Singer and I think they popularized this format a few seasons ago.

Ah ok thanks! I appreciate this, I was confused.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

eke out posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUZkOX1Z1I

this is really great

this entire show appears to be a huge step up in budget/quality for the babish channel, it looks as good and expensive as anything you'd get from a food show on netflix

This was awesome, glad you linked it. I started following Babish because of his work with Sohla, but fell off after she left.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Along that line, if you have a chance to go to Monteverde in Chicago, it's Sarah's restaurant and it's really good!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

God the sqrl girl sage will never not make me laugh. What hubris!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Someone fill me in on what the sqrl girl saga is

Lady started a company making jam, because people are people wanted to make sure it was 'low-sugar'. One issue is that sugar acts as a preservative in high enough concentrations, so you have to be careful about unwanted growth, especially without enough sugar.

She wasn't, and it came out that she had instructed her staff to scoop off the visible gunk and just keeping using the jam. I believe she then said oh people do it all the time at home, which while true, if also a) very much not the point, and b) in a very different environment in a commercial kitchen, and c) not generally ok when you're charging a bunch of money for it.

I believe she also had a secret kitchen at one point to hide all the moldy jam buckets do that inspectors wouldn't see them and hurt the restaurants inspection score.

I think that's most of it? From memory so might have missed something.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also I was super weirded out by the deepfake audio at the end. That was super skeezy to me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else watching the great food truck race? One if the contestants seemed to have a breakdown, got out of the car and just ran away. There were no telling had interviews with her afterwords, they just bounced. It was very odd.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Re the most recent iron chef, there's not enough episodes, you're are there only like 8 episodes? Also I wish they didn't have Andrew Zimmern as a seemingly permanent judge. He's always seemed like a tool and it continues to come across.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

God I love Dave Arnold. This is exactly what I should have expected his tiktok to be, but yet am still surprised!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It's on the hosts and the production team this. They knew they wanted a Mexican week, why not actually do some research into Mexican baking, don't set a bad taco as the technical, and stop Paul from confusing the tortilla for the taco. Why have super under soaked tres leches? I don't expect the contestants to be up on it, but for the production team there's very little excuse.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I appreciate that Chef John is apparently amazing and seems like a great dude, but I can't get past his presentation style. I've tried a few times, and the voice and approach just set something off in me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We really ended up enjoying the big brunch, but I didn't love how the final episode was suddenly about the best investment. I wish either they had focused of that aspect from the beginning, or just kept it on food the whole time. A bit out of left field for the pitch to suddenly matter.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah it's possible I missed it, or that so many other shows do that schtick that I didn't realize they were gonna take it seriously? But given that it was part of the finale I'm surprised it wasn't something we saw them working on and refining every episode. Like yeah of course her pitch is disjointed! She only had a day to think about it!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I don't think Kenji had been accused of multiple counts of sexual assault.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Last season of Worth It dropped their first episode, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4EXpaZYzt8. Bummer it's ending, but makes sense given Stephen having left.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

smackfu posted:

Is this the first time that the finale of GBBO is all men?

I believe season 3 was the same.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Keith Lee is coming to San Francisco and I'm pretty excited. A bunch of places are so overrated like State Bird Provisions.

For all that apparently he cut his trip short, amazing stuff really.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I love that TOC does blind taste testing. The small hill I'll die on is most shows should do that and it's bullshit that even TC doesn't default to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kenny really didn't seem comfortable competing, so not shocked he went home