Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm in the UK.

try sir bertram wilberforce's emulsified homogenate then. you can get it in any tescos or within the enchanted wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah it's the same reason I like Chef John, good technique well explained and no bullshit twenty minute personal anecdotes or trying to make themselves a marketable character.

He makes a very smart decision to never include measurements of stuff in the video itself; he'll just say "add the cinnamon" or "now it's time for the vinegar" or whatever, and you have to refer back to the recipe for the measurements. Which I think is really clever since it's separating prep and technique in a very efficient way

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

eke out posted:

the brit

Just a note that he lives in the UK but he was born in Malaysia and grew up there. I don't believe he's British

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe you should ask him? Demand to see his papers?

Woah - not what I was getting at at all. I'm not saying he's not sufficiently British, I'm just trying to provide context to the angle he's coming at with his character. I think the character would ring very differently if he had in fact been born and raised in the UK

Riptor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 18, 2021

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Fartington Butts posted:

I more often hear people saying “waygoo”

waygoo steak with chipoltay sauce

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

droll posted:

Making fun of cultures that don't have big Japanese and Mexican communities therefor don't know how to pronounce words is woke. Lumping entire countries in together because 2 youtubers pronounced it wrong is also very smart.

oh boy oh boy

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

enki42 posted:

The "you should pronounce words the way they sound in their native language thing" is such a case by case thing I don't think there's any point getting salty about it either way. Different words are going to have different standards in terms of how much they deviate, and that's sometimes even differs for different parts of north america.

yes but you can at the very least not transpose letters, is my point

I'm eating this habmurger with mutsard and ektchup

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

more falafel please posted:

They do this with French too, although that's at least partially because they hate the French so much. A "fillit" of chicken.

Yeah but then there's also CWAAAHSOOOHHNNN

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

I did not understand IRN BRU until I had it ice cold with fish and chips. Then my third eye opened and I became an IRN BRU Appreciator.

Do not, under any circumstances, drink it warm.

what sodas do you recommend warm

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

that's to be mixed with milk, as all insane old people who live in new england will tell you

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

eke out posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUZkOX1Z1I

this is really great

this entire show appears to be a huge step up in budget/quality for the babish channel, it looks as good and expensive as anything you'd get from a food show on netflix

Rick is a horrible guide-style host though. It's really weird that animal crackers go into birria, right? Like, really weird and interesting! There must be some interesting history there, or at least some good reason as to why the guy includes it. But their inclusion just flies by with almost no comment.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

i genuinely don't understand how any new dishes were ever invented in italy

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I would like for them to do a New England season where they can go to all kinds of non-Boston places in the region, like that season where they moved all around California

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

droll posted:

Mmm carrot meatloaf my fav

its good

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

At the very least they should show them a picture of the end result or something. Right now it feels like whoever's wild guess is correct wins, or the off-chance that someone actually has heard of the pastry in question, rather than actually testing their knowledge of baking fundamentals.

I agree with this; it's one thing to use terminology regarding the substance of the bake ("make a meringue..." etc) but they seem to do a piss-poor job of describing the aesthetics of it verbally and it doesn't seem fair to judge the bakers on that

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

dino. posted:

It’s those aprons they had them wearing at BA. All of them made the women look like they’re in some weird cult where you have to wear flour sack dresses, but your mom can’t sew, so you just wear the literal flour sack. I get that they may be functional, but dear gods are they ugly.

it is a very weird thing to talk about the degree to which aprons are or are not making female cooks/chefs attractive

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t think Dino is commenting on their attractiveness. He’s just saying what they’re wearing is ugly.

fair enough

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Molly's life is a contrast in dogs. On the one hand she owns a weiner dog names Tuna who is adorable, and on the other hand some other dog bit her in the fuckin face within the past year

Also my wife loves Molly so I bought her the cookbook she came out with and the recipes are genuinely good

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Agreed that rice cooker is the way to go but if you don't have one, and you're making a lot of different dishes on the stove i can see how using the microwave makes a lot of sense

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Ragusea has a really interesting episode of his podcast / video version of said podcast, posted to YouTube, in which he talks about his thoughts on Alton Brown and, in connection to it, his thoughts about himself and how his career exists because of, and in response to, Alton. I know he's come up here a bunch in the past; thought folks might be interested

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

captkirk posted:

I grew up in Wisconsin and I'm sort of dreadkng this because I know a bunch of the discourse is going to be empty brain takes using stereotypes of Midwestern food.

this is what the Boston version felt like to me; it didn't feel like they came to Boston, looked around and went "ah we should do XYZ"; it felt like they brainstormed back in LA, showed up and went "ok here we are at fenway park and cheers" and whatever. I still hold out hope they do an overall "New England" season, kind of like when they did that weird one a few years ago where they went all over California

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

dino. posted:

I honestly think that Ramsay plays up the rage. People are allowed to enjoy Sysco food. Also, freezing leftovers is fine. Relax. Your blood pressure will thank you.

every single episode he also takes the food, dices it up into a million pieces with his knife and fork and smears it around the plate and then goes "what a mess!"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Borsche69 posted:

idk where else to post this but it seems like david chang is getting flamed for trying to trademark chili crunch/chili crisp and sending C&Ds to other companies selling their own versions lol.

well it looks like he's specifically going after people using the specific terms "chili crunch" and "chile crunch" which, while stupid and clearly not something that's reflecting on him well, is less insane than him going after people who are making the condiment, flat out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Yeah, it definitely seems like something he's entirely with his rights to do. I just think that tactically it's not the smartest hill to die on