Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
3 months ago i went on a tirade to everyone i know about how Bon Apetit was racist by forcing the minorities to share bullshit versions of their homeland recipes while white people got to make whatever bullshit they wanted with whatever stupid poo poo sumac ingredients they had and they were racist and everyone looked at me like I was insane.

They Still think I'm crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

xtal posted:

Retrospectively this is all totally obvious. Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/iamnotalexlau/status/1270038290645897219

Fine, that's how you want to be?

As a black man in america, there's a gigantic pushback to seeing racist behavior. You get called crazy, nuts, over reactive, and a lot of how could you say this or that. There's no general sense that your gut, your wealth of knowledge of what racism is can be the only thing needed to see the darkness in others. For all of the BIPOCs out there, if you sense that there is racism somewhere trust your gut, and stick with it and find out if justice is possible.

It should have been more obvious to others that a youtube channel in which every white person with a show gets to do whatever the gently caress they want, and the other minorities at best get to demonstrate a disrespectful version of their home meals is probably racist. I should have been more vocal about it. I should have protested the channel sooner. I should have trusted my instincts of how racist america is, especially in the food industry where the faces of white people are put on display while the minorities do the real labor.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly you're totally right, I've started to watch BA over the last few months and I've really enjoyed it. The "oh man where are the black people" sensor has gone off a couple times in my head, but because I'm white that noise never really went beyond a low drone. That dull droning was clearly observing the biases that the channel had, not just regarding who is and isn't there, but also who does what out of the people who are there, and I just set it aside because I thought the videos were fun and I picked up some recipes, but clearly that all has a price, and that price is "loving over BIPOC". It sucks and I need to do better.

I hope BA does the right thing and pays all the people who make them so much money, and I hope Rapoport goes away.

There's systemic issues there and if you think it's pay related you would have to be loving blind at this point.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

woops

Veskit fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 9, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

xtal posted:

Sorry, to be honest I don't know what either of your posts have to do with the one you're quoting

xtal posted:

Retrospectively this is all totally obvious. Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/iamnotalexlau/status/1270038290645897219

This reads to me like you're saying of course you find it obvious in retrospect and not now that you're looking back it seems obvious.

Uhhh if you said I in retro find this all obvious then yeah i get it but it sounds like you're telling me that which is... lovely. Now that I read it it's hard to tell what you're getting at and I may have flew off the handle due to being black in america right now.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

xtal posted:

Just to be clear about this becsuse you mentioned gaslighting, what I am saying was that I was oblivious until now but it seems obvious when I look back at it with that in mind, I think I was actually agreeing with you

I think you did too?????

I’ll drop it and edit it

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It was pretty obvious they weren’t well compensated since they don’t own their IP. Only buzzfeed was dumb enough to let them own that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Or loving work a sous vide

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It’s pretty bullshit Condé Nast is denying everything and letting the internet eat alive what amounts to immature white boy behavior. The company’s message and tactics are deplorable, not the fact that Delaney made an off color joke as a kid, and I say this as a black guy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody has reached out to Rhoda, who is in charge of BA's video department?

Her instagram hasn't had anything new in a while and she doesn't appear to have Twitter

You seem upset they wouldnt accept your article on the price vs value of boot

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah people saying that Alex shouldn't be called out because we need worker solidarity are way off base.

Or now isn’t the time to make this about what 16 year olds said, and it really is about equality first

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

more falafel please posted:

When was this vine? Was it another thing from his teens?

It was a vine sooooo....

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah seems about right for white people

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Bon appetit may be the ultimate milkshake duck

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's hard to be mad at Brad. Him and Vinnie kinda kicked off the whole thing, and it was a dumb idea on paper a loving fermentation show with a guy who can barely form a full sentence? There's no way that shoulda worked.

But I mean, if you're at the point where you're a chris morocco and you get your own show from a concept that was clearly work shopped in the back to use his super secret powers while literally nobody of color has a show, then yeah it's easy to be mad. It's easy to be mad if you're making Kim chi, or loving MAKING A SOUP DUMPLING or you can go on and on and on that something shoulda been done.

Yes we can be mad at white people for standing on our backs and shining, and not considering that they didn't leave any room for loving made for TV and white people star Priya to have her own dumb cooking show where she calls her dad every week to get the scoop on how she used to eat.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I didn't even see what Carla did but sending out emails based off race is mega lol

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Everyone seems to like Delaney though to the point where they're willing to give him a crash course reform school on how not to say bad things. You'd be amazed how far charisma gets you in environments like that even when it's not merited.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

But don't people like Sohla too? I was watching that Andes Mints episode last night and she fuckin steps in and does the whole chocolate tempering for Chris and Brad when they gently caress it up, and they're all talking about how she should be hosting Gourmet Makes with Claire. It's not likeability or charisma or even cooking aptitude, it's straight up whiteness that gives Delaney a pass.

Yeah so if Sohla did a lovely thing I'm sure everyone would come to her rescue and help her out. Nobody liked Adam Rap so the moment he came out in brown face was the moment everyone went after him. I'm just saying there's many layers to racism, and in the case of Delaney he's a nice guy who seems redeemable so people will probably try to reform and redeem him first.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

"After one particularly hectic day, I sent the same exact email about socializing in the test kitchen to Black, White, and Asian staffers. Separately. It was not a group email. No one was on bcc."

jesus christ she meant she sent the email to different races not literally different groups could you phrase that better next time Carla

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah I’m not falling for that can we get back to Condé Nast being the worst?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I used to work in payroll at a Fortune 500 retailer with like 200,000 employees and I had no idea what my coworkers made. At best the managers know what their employees make and that’s by design.

Also that would be just the base salary. None of that would include things like the tillamook tour/branding commercial Brad did or , THE BOOKOO BUCKS CLAIR MAKES FOR THE CHANNEL DOING sometimes and hour long commercial for whatever candy.

I genuinely don’t think people are puting into perspective how much money Clair makes, or how gourmet makes works

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It was mentioned they have basically a branding team that gets them brand deals, and that the people with shows are paid significantly more. It’s safe to assume they have a base salary for the magazine job and have extra incentives to do have long form videos, especially if they’re branded.

Again Claire makes the suuuuuper big bucks I promise you.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Cmon y’all you think it’s common knowledge Chaco taco dropped bags onto the desk of gourmet makes to get that video? Most people I talk to think BA picks what they wana make and makes it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I think it strains credibility that someone like Andes Mints paid to have Brad and Chris say they're terrible. Sometimes brands lean into the promotion but I doubt they're sponsoring the show.

You know Conan makes big bucks off those clueless gamer vids and all he does is trash the poo poo out of them. Everyone already has their opinions on Andes mints they just needa get the poo poo out there.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Conan has actually talked about this, game companies are fine with him trashing their stuff because, to their target audience, he's an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about. Actual chefs talking about how disgusting a food item is hits closer to speaking from authority. Though with how masturbatory Gourmet Makes is I can food companies looking at it kind of cynically. Like "Sure you could make a better version, but look how much trouble a trained professional went through to do it." There's probably more gourmet makes videos than people who actually made the item.

The biggest difference though is a video game is a brand new release so it's an uninformed opinion while with gourmet makes I highly doubt their target audience are people who have never had it. It's a 50 minute reminder of hey these jelly beans actually are tough to make so you should appreciate them when you eat them.

Or like the Peanut butter cup episode that is so dumb to even attempt like what the gently caress.

But I mean if you take away the cynicism you have to admit there's no loving way they aren't getting paid on at least some of those episodes. You tell me that loving hot pocket didn't sponsor that episode and I'll listen.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I’m still not mad at brad though

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Brad did joe Rogan???

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I have found zero evidence of a jre/brad collaboration of any form

Of course he referenced it he’s like the most important podcast right now...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

JRE is literally the biggest show on the planet right now let’s calm down in saying anyone who would go on it is a bad person I mean chapelle even tours with him.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I try explaining why it's ok Brad didn't understand racism but it's not ok Delaney didn't and I dunno how to really get that across. Sometimes it's just a feeling you know

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The big big big big big problem was the forced aspect of making rick make tacos all day, while the smaller issue is the everyday white people food poo poo they have to make. They really hosed themselves by playing the "it's our prime demographic" argument by doing that.

They need a really good apology video

They need a clear and strong mission statement

Pay everyone fairly

Minorities get a show now

I mean it's doable but yeah probably really difficult at the end of the day to swallow your pride and let that happen.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sounds like a lame version of gently caress that’s delicious

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

This would have been a really cool step 5....

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The jr cricket episode of Atlanta

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think David Chang is generally a douche who occasionally manages to rein it in, sort of like early stage Bourdain. I just listened to the recent podcast episode he did with Eddie Huang though and Eddie unapologetically calls him on his poo poo for Momofuku ripping off a Chinese commercial sauce. Highly recommended.

which podcast?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How garbage is it that guaranteed appearances are built into the contract, ie the Delaney clause

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Honest question, does Middle Eastern descent not fall under BIPOC? Andy has always been very vocal about his Iranian heritage but he seems to keep getting left out of the discussion.

Is a white mexican, ie Louis ck a bipoc?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Molly’s out it seems

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

There could be contractual things with the magazine going on, especially if there’s something where they have a no compete if they leave but it’s ok if they still work there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Grem posted:

Nothing dramatic, Vinny left his gig being Brad's camera guy to work on Babish's "Being with Babish", I think he filmed like one episode then the project just... Stopped.

I’ve heard him mentioned as the producer In General though?