Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Drinks at home and seems like a person. Tough crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

It sounds less like a salary negotiation thing and more like a patchwork contract situation where each individual could have completely different terms for what is compensated and what is not (by exclusion). Combined with a lovely laissez faire management culture enabling the whole thing, paying lip service to diversity but actually just perpetuating the CN corporate brand and their own oblivious backgrounds. Sohla and others being "pushed" in front of camera for visibility despite her agreement not guaranteeing her compensation for that work. Basically hell yeah unionize.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I was going to skip it because video games but that final enormous brioche bite was hilarious.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

"Bay leaves don't do anything" is a dumb meme. Get good bay leaves* and huff the bag.

:emptyquote:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

There's an asterisk on that fresh/dry. I grew up with fresh bay leaves from a tree in the yard and I love the flavor. A few leaves go into every bechamel, pasta sauce, stew or even rice puddings and custards.

Fresh leaves stored in the freezer are the way to go. Kenji's * was about the variety. You want the wide leaf, wrinkly edges med variety, not the narrow California bay that is basically eucalyptus. I bought those by mistake once and threw the lot out.

Yes

Yes

:barf:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

piratepilates posted:

deli containers are a dime a dozen, bud.

I'm posh and use an old Talenti ice cream tub.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

That ending tho

quote:

What does restitution look like to those of us harmed by Dave and what he built? Yes, it was different then, and our culture has changed, and I understand that he is working toward becoming a better person. I also believe that he owes a tithe beyond an apology. (Releasing every former employee from any nondisclosure agreement that prevents them from talking about what they experienced at Momofuku might be a start.) For all that Dave has edited in and out of this narrative, what he cannot change is the trauma left in his wake. The one thing he can offer up that is commensurate with the scope and scale of the grief he has caused is the space he occupies in restaurants and in culture: He can cede it to someone who will use it to change this toxic industry that has broken so many of us.

Sounds like he does have other people running the restaurants on site now.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The way his channel took off was pretty incredible. 100k subs, then 500k, then a million in no time and it kept doubling at pace since. I figure most channels either never take off or plateau quickly, his has been a rocket.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Looks like they pulled the vid. What a clusterfuck.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Dude is also massively out of touch with the realities of cooking at home most of the time
??????

Gaius Marius posted:

looked like it tasted better
??????????

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Hold up, he took Kenji's recipe from literally a children's newsletter and improved it :lol:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

His show is kinda sad now, put it out of its misery.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Harrow posted:

He seems like a good guy and I had good interactions with him on twitter myself, but sometimes you just gotta know when to ignore poo poo and he absolutely does not know that.

Guess he figured it out, he quit Twitter recently.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The parade of commenters saying "Brad's the only good thing left about BA!!" sure left a bad taste

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

It's the same price as the rest of their pasta line, isn't it?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

That manic chaotic energy was pretty fun to watch. Yes pecorino tends to clump and parmesan doesn't. I like his blender solution at the end, whatever works.

Afterwards I made cacio pep for dinner first attempt like a normal person.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Sort of on topic, this nice reply was buried in the comments a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The last few episodes of the Why We Eat series on Munchies youtube with Lucas Sin are really really good. Great host, lots of food history, and pro cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnPDn1Lb79JFs7D8MxAMM2jE2_-85Pc2L