Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Paladinus posted:

I keep getting videos from this channel in my youtube recommendations, and this one I thought was funny enough to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI7opaMUI

Honestly I thought that was quite a good answer. I liked the way he said even prayer can be sinful when wrongly motivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

the dude's making fun of a left winger because the real cool rad poo poo is being right wing, i would bet it's about welfare

Chesterton's pretty solidly against right wing economics, all through his life. Hilariously this seems to slip the attention of all the reactionary Catholics who idolise him nowadays. Not to say he's not a smug oval office with a lot of downright horrible views.

Honestly, and I don't mean this in any way as an anti-Catholic statement, but he becomes a whole lot worse of a writer and a person after he swims the Tiber. There's this really unfortunate tendency for right wing English people to find in the Catholic Church only what they looked for. Possibly similar to those reactionary converts to Orthodoxy.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

CountFosco posted:

So would Eastern Orthodox recognize the baptism of a protestant? If they're wrong about its legitimacy, and the baptism was legitimate (say, through the holy spirit) would a second baptism have some negative consequences?

More generally, does anyone know the history of how it was decided that some sacraments (baptism and marriage) transcended denomination, and some didn't.

Do you know how these folk saints are venerated (worshiped)? Is it just the same as form of veneration as that done by lay people for recognised saints, or are there additional aspects?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Valiantman posted:

There might be coffee afterwards sometimes if there's a visitor to the parish, like a missionary or something. Or some breakfast oatmeal if it's a family service. Might be different in some places but I'd say that's the rule of thumb in Finland. You come, you sit and chant, you maybe receive the Eucharist, you leave. It's likely you speak to no one and that's not because of Finnish stereotypes. It sucks big time.

That's kind of sad. Maybe start something up? Honestly, apart from people with their kids, I'd guess most people who make time for church on a Sunday would be willing/glad to have a biscuit and a chat afterwards.

Most Anglican churches I've been to have had some sort of social event after their services, but this may be less common in the countryside. My mother's church (Presbyterian) does lunch every Sunday, although that's possible because there's an on-site kitchen and hall. There's a small charge, but it's waived for the homeless. I've cooked there a few times.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Ceciltron posted:

If I'm lucky, I can scrape enough money together to buy a bottle of wine or some rye and drink, at which point I will usually recite a few decades of the rosary, crawl into bed and pass out.

Hi, this is very much personal experience andI have no idea if it has any bearing on your situation, but I have in the past found that alcohol and prayer is a very spiritually dangerous combination when you're in a dark place.

Of course it can also help you become Martin Luther, so your mileage may vary.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My old chaplain HATES when people say Aquinas was super heavy. He's convinced it's some kind of anti-Catholic rumor that stuck.

Deep in the Protestant Headquarters, the Head Protestant sits on a plastic stool, wearing ugly polyester vestments. Cringing Lackey approaches.

Cringing Lackey: Your Reformedness, I have bad news. The Catholics are growing ever stronger. How will we ever convince people to stop doing good works, as is the cornerstone of our belief system.
Head Protestant: Don't worry, I have a plan that will strike a the heart of the Papists. I'll tell people that the famous Roman Catholic Thomas Aquinas, who as everyone knows we Protestants hate and fear for his orthodox theology, was all fat and gross.
CL: But Your Supreme Anti-Liturgicalness, it is well known that Aquinas was super buff and swole.
HP: It is true that he was super buff and swole, and also ripped, but we'll tell people he was a fat nerd. Because, and I really can't stress this enough, all Protestants hate Aquinas for some reason.
CL: Brilliant your Iconoclasticness. I'll put the plan into action right away.
HP: Good. Now leave me. I must put a condom on my penis before I have sex with my wife.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Bollock Monkey posted:

I saw a thing saying that lurkers should just post, and whilst I'm not much of a lurker here I haven't seen this broached in my skim-reads of this thread. I have always wondered how people know they've picked the right religion/the right version of a religion and I'm interested to hear some thoughts on that, if anyone's happy to tell me any. Whilst I appreciate that not all religious institutions/individuals have the same "If you don't believe exactly what I do then you're going to Hell!" thing, as I understand it there is usually some degree of feeling that your version is the 'correct' one to some degree or another and I find that interesting because it's something I just don't have context to understand. So... How do you know you picked correctly?

There's a sermon by Richard Hooker, on Justification, in which he attacks the Catholic idea of Justification through Works. But he goes on to say that Catholics can be saved, despite this belief, as long as they have Faith. Basically, he argues its OK to have an imperfect understanding of God, because all our understandings are imperfect.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

pidan posted:

Thank you all for taking the time to answer, but I don't think you're addressing my criticism at all. Basically I'm asking - why is it such a good idea to humble yourself, and who gave Jesus the authority to tell people to do that, and why didn't he explain it better, and your answer is essentially "it's good to be humble".

My question is not so much "what is this text trying to say", it's more "what is supposed to be the benefit of paying attention to this badly argued story. The Calvin text really is a great illustration of this problem, essentially saying that we should obey this text because God said it, but if he did, why didn't he explain some of the assumptions inherent in that recommendation.

Does this make sense to you? Essentially, I can't just take Jesus at his word because he's God, after all, I have to accept his words to believe that he's God in the first place. It's circular reasoning. The Muslims at least claim that their holy book is so well written only God could have done it, Christians don't even have that.

It feels like you're still asking two questions. 1 why is it such a good idea to humble yourself. 2 why are the Gospels more real than any other text.

1. I think you're reading this whole passage wrong, and I could go on at length about that but it seems like your're interested in 2
2. And I have no clear answer.

All I can say is that the Gospels have worked for me, where no other texts have. They've answered questions, and given strength, where nothing else did. And I don't think it's about literary quality, because I spent most my adult life working among texts by the most wonderful writers, but I still get drawn back to these badly translated Greek-Jewish chroniclers. Maybe we're just idiots chasing a piece of straw down a plughole.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

What do you do when you can't love your enemy?

(if you're into trigger warnings, then consider one from here on out. Also let me say I know how self-absorbed it is to make a horrible crime all about my own angst.)

What prompted me to ask this is a case that's currently being tried in Hong Kong, where a banker tortured and killed two women (the facts aren't in contention, the trial is over whether he was fully responsible, given his alcohol and drug use). The perpetrator was someone I knew, quite a few years ago (no internet detectiving please). He wasn't someone I was close with, and I can't actually remember a single conversation I ever had with him, but for a period I was frequently in a group that included him. I honestly have no memory of thinking anything positive or negative about him.

When I first read about the crime, I was horrified, but was also able to summon up some vague distant compassion for him, as a clearly very disturbed and unhappy person. Then I forgot about it until today, when I read some details from the court case. These were in a very explicit article in a UK tabloid. I really don't advise anyone to look for it, as they were very disturbing. Other news sources skimmed over or skipped some of the most macabre details. Basically one of the people killed was tortured, in multiple ways specifically designed to sexually humiliate her and remove her dignity as a human. The other was killed quicker, but not before she sent some gut-wrenchingly sad texts for help.

It seems impossible to feel any compassion for the killer. I don't want to hurt him, but I hope he gets removed from society, and dropped down a hole so nobody ever has to think about his face or name again. But I'm horribly aware that that same instinct, to see other humans as objects that can be got rid of when they get inconvenient, is exactly how he treated both his victims. He's not going to vanish when he gets convicted, but will go on being a human, who is presumably just as in need of Jesus' love as everyone else.

And yet to feel pity for him seems incredibly disrespectful to the people he hurt so badly. Particularly as he was enormously privileged, and the two people he killed were migrant sex workers, a type of person who have often been treated as somehow less worthy of dignity and compassion.

tl;dr I've somehow managed to live my life so far without noticing that "love thy neighbour" is a hard command to follow.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You don't have to pity him. That's asking a lot more than is expected to you. You have to acknowledge that God loves him, and that God loves him just as God loves you, and to (attempt to) love him as another flawed human.

Tias posted:

As I've said so often when these things come up, spiritually we humans are imperfect beings. Striving towards following the command is all we are ever capable of, but if we choose to strive, we attain spiritual growth. Spiritual perfection is for saints and angels, but we shall become found by searching for it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The Golden Rule is not a fire-and-brimstone edict that requires you to, always and at all times, have in your heart the love emotion toward all humans on the planet. It is more a teaching that everyone is human, and that you should open your mind and heart toward the Earthly reality that is outside yourself.

Man Whore posted:

Has he even sought repentance or forgiveness?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I suppose this discussion is as good a time as any to mention that Calvary is a great film and that you should watch it if you haven't already.

All very good points. Particularly the last.

Crikey.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Paladinus posted:

And not to lose face, I had to give half of my possessions to the poor, Jeremiah! Half of my possessions!

Elaine thinks her boyfriend might be gay, because she got distracted by a stoning as he was telling her about his Essene vow of celibacy. Kramer gets lost in the desert, surviving on honey and locusts. When he gets back to civilisation, his sunstruck mutterings are confused for messianic prophecy, and he faces persecution from the Sanhedrin. Newman is scamming the Sadducees by painting horses to look like cows, for use as korban. Jerry does some observational comedy about flatbreads.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

Our hymnal has an asterisk next to "holy catholic church" in the Apostle's Creed, making sure we understand that it simply means "universal" and has nothing to do with the Roman Catholic Church.

Pellisworth posted:

haha yep, every Protestant hymnal that I can recall has this-- Episcopal, Methodist, Lutheran.

gently caress that poo poo.

The Church of England in South Africa (small schismatic group, not the Anglican Church of Southern Africa) dropped the word catholic from their creeds, because some stupid local pissing contest with the Tractarians was worth rewriting the whole underpinnings of the faith for.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Praying for you guys.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i did, i was sitting in an actual locked room (pooping :v:) when the feeling came over me to pray.

Never stop Luthering.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

well i prayed to god for things to go well with this English guy i am seeing and now we agreed that we'll get married to get me out of the US so i am engaged now

Goongratulations. Of course you're just jumping out of the frying-pan into the garbage fire.

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm going to fix this

Please don't. Based on what happened to Hegel, I'm worried Orthodox prayers work on Monkey's Paw rules.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HopperUK posted:

drat ancient Israelites, is it so hard to just not worship false idols for five loving minutes, I mean.

Ancient Israelite dad bangs on bathroom door. His son is desperately trying to hide a crude homemade idol behind the cistern. "Look, son, I know that your at an age when you're getting urges. It's perfectly natural. But try to keep it down champ. Your mother and I can hear you chanting pagan imprecations in there, and it's pretty awkward for us."

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Have you read Private Memoirs and Confessions? Seems like some people are using it as a theological primer.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

That and there are plenty of ways to raise and nurture kids without having them yourself.

Don't be silly. The nuclear family is the only worthwhile form of human relationship. It is not just your right, but your duty, to try and kill everyone outside that group with legally-enforced resource scarcity.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Bel_Canto posted:

There's a huge bias toward healings, firstly because those get asked for by tons of people, and secondly because they're easy to consult doctors about and verify. I happen to think that Bl. John Henry Newman's second miracle already happened, but it wouldn't be accepted by ecclesiastical authorities because it's super :gay:

If you're talking about the fact his body melted away, to prevent it from being disinterred from next to the man he loved, I agree it really sounds like a medieval saint story.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

The Phlegmatist posted:

Anne Hutchinson (16th cen. Puritan spiritual advisor in the Massachusetts Bay Colony) was one of my favorites. At one point she said that sinning was actually good, since if you felt guilt from sinning that meant you were regenerated by the Holy Spirit, and if you were regenerated by the Holy Spirit that meant you were one of the elect and were predestined to heaven. So sinning reminded you that you were heaven-bound so actually was in some ways preferable to not sinning. That's one of those "well, this is technically correct, but..." soteriological loophole things that I enjoy.

A viewpoint more recently espoused by a be-wimpled Robbie Coltrane in the 1990 British sex comedy Nuns on the Run:

Father Seamus: Tell me. Is celibacy just as difficult for a woman as it is for a man?
Charlie McManus: I wouldn't know... I must come clean, though, I, I had a man in my bed last night. All right. You see, the way I see it, sex is allowed.
Father Seamus: Ah, ha... ha!
Charlie McManus: No. No, it's the doctrine of original sin. You see, we're all born sinful, except for Jesus. who was perfect of course. And he was sent to save us. But how could he save us unless we're sinning? So we have to go on sinning in order to be saved and go to Heaven. That's how Christianity works. That's why it suits so many people.

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 18, 2016

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

Paramemetic, I know you read this thread--your astrology thread is closed and you have not yet answered my PM. The thing I need astrological advice about is next month! :choco:

Early modern history. Not even once.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

For whatever my thoughts are this are worth, I think you can believe in all sorts of weird poo poo, as long as you remain clear that all worldly phenomena are God's creation. I feel the danger is when you start seeing things like fate and luck as out of God's hands, which is a fast route to pride and despair.

Also, you should not be the occasion of sin in others, so I wouldn't pay for a psychic or medium or similar, if they were practising deciet rather than self-delusion.

All that being said, tarot cards are cool and I like looking at them. And Newton was probably a faithful Christian, and definitely a better scientist than anyone in this thread, and he was bananas for this stuff.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's occurred to me that the best explanation for Christ's sacrifice is that the only option available to a being of infinite power and infinite goodness is to commit suicide, because what could be more inimical to the interests of slaves than an eternal master upon whom they are inescapably dependent?

Call it "the Problem of Goodness."

Makes sense to me. Sorry thread, I'm now a member of this guy's new religion, and you are all heretics.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Never trust anybody whose favorite books of the Bible are Revelation and Daniel.

I really like the Apocryphal Daniel. Susanna and Bel and the Dragon are all about the way reason leads us to truth, and God.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

This is fascinating. Does the composition point to a single point of composition (barring the apocryphal sections) , or does the veering into apocalyptic visions represent a change of authorship?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I went into the office room at my church today, and I noticed one of the books on the shelf was called Tough talk: Hard sayings of Jesus. I don't exactly know why, but that tickles me pink.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Smoking Crow posted:

whatever you want it to mean

Nicely done

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

The Phlegmatist posted:

This gets you the benefit of having your kids seen as legitimate! Hooray! Except that basically does nothing unless your kids want to be priests or something.

Wait what?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

technically the Catholic understanding of marriage is that it's performed by the couple, not the priest, but legally it should be done in public with a proper ceremony

Bloody Council of Trent saying you can't get married by a blacksmith like God intended.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This sounds like an interesting historical footnote, could you elaborate?

I don't know if this was thing in the Middle Ages, but it was in post-Reformation Scotland. Blacksmiths were well known, non-peripatetic, and presumably respectable, so they were popular witnesses for marriages. If someone questions the validity of your marriage, you can say "go talk to the blacksmith in Erskine", rather than "there was a guy we met in a pub, don't remember his name, he might have been a weaver. It's all legit".

Scotland's marriage laws were super lax. You could get hitched aged twelve, without parental permission, with just one witness and no other bureaucracy or delay, so villages near the border (famously Gretna Green) became a sort of Las Vegas for eloping teens.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Bel_Canto posted:

I think they eliminated all irregularities of birth in the last major revision to the Code of Canon Law: I'm not seeing it listed among any impediments to ordination, and canon law is pretty clear that the only impediments are those explicitly enumerated. Given that Boba Fett is a clone, I see no reason why he'd be treated any differently than identical twins: he may share 100% of his genetic material with someone else (or even thousands of someones) but that doesn't stop him from being an individual with an individually-created soul.

Can a frankenstein be a priest?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Possibly, I don't think he was married.

Who'd want to marry a big green dude with a bolt through his neck? Not even Elsa Lanchester.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Can a hulk be a priest?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

P-Mack posted:

A moment later, a mouse runs away with the host.

Best course of action is to consecrate and eat the mouse.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

The Phlegmatist posted:

In Acts, when the Holy Spirit descends at Pentecost, all the Christians are speaking different languages and rolling around and Peter's probably over there playing the Hammond Organ can I get an AMEN so they're accused of being drunk on new wine.

We're not drunk, it's only nine in the morning (you should see us after lunch).

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tias posted:

I'm not sure why you can't like art without agreeing with it's founder on everything. I have a strict no-fund principle when it comes to racism and the right wing, but buying Lovecrafts works is not funding racist activity in any sense of the word. I mean, heck, more or less all great musicians were assholes, if you can't separate the work from the person you can't really appreciate anything but milquetoast family entertainment( and even that is debatable).

That's fine, as long as you can actually separate the author and the text. Trouble is, as ALupin pointed out, people who like Lovecraft try to play down his views as "of his time". I've got no problem with loving the work the murderer Ben Johson, or Shakespeare who profiteered from famine, or even of Spenser who literally endorsed and helped enact genocide on a large scale. But it is sinful to try and minimise and downplay these crimes just because you like the authors work.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

The Phlegmatist posted:

the church militant refers to all believers on this earth let's equivocate it to whatever the gently caress michael voris is doing

this is dumb and you of all people should know better than to post crap like this

Don't see any equivocation in the article. It lays it all out pretty clearly.

HEY GAL posted:

it's the struggle within your own soul, kind of like the other version of jihad in muslim thought

Not just within your own soul though. Evil exists in the world, and has to be fought.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

While we're all arguing, can we settle the filioque issue? Also is the Immaculate Conception real, and are good works are necessary for salvation? I reckon Jesus had two natures, but both of them were an indistinguishable mixture of divine and human.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Keromaru5 posted:

All I wanna know is, are we celebrating Christmas tomorrow or not?

Anyone who celebrates Christmas in any form is nothing better than a pagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

Also just a quick thing but has anyone read the Diary of Margery Kempe? Its a very rare book of a lay-person come mystic from Norwich and her attempts to be taken seriously as a mystical source for Jesus. It so refreshing to see everyone from Bishops to fellow pilgrims go "Oh no, not her again" and this is in the late 13 and early 1400's a time when "mystic" was a recognised profession. Seriously read it, it is just fascinating.

Agreed. But honestly, she sounds like she was a real chore.

JcDent posted:

Bdsm, vegans, crossfit, vaping, /r/atheism and other things people would like to hear less.

And as they were eating, Kinky Jesus took tempeh, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, take, eat, this is my ripped, swole body that can do many reps.
And he took the e-juice, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, vape ye all of it, you Xtian sheeple.

• Locked thread