Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there a character voiced with a southern accent who calls me comrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
OS wasn't that long though unless you were really being exhaustive. The game gets artificially longer the more you mess with the inventory and crafting. EE really helped on the inventory front and probably shaves like five hours off a play through.

I do hope they make combat a little faster and the interface less lock stepped. Having to wait for healing animations to finish after every fight wears at you.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 10, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The beginning is the slowest. Once you get all of your self buffs and stuff, most fights will end within 3 rounds (once you know what you are doing anyway). It's certainly plodding once you get a routine but you'll curb stomp a lot.

The EE took a lot of trash counts down a bit. Don't expect any hordes unless you leave a respawn mechanic up (destroy tunnels etc)

Crafting is very broken yeah. It's implemented terribly but it's extremely strong. You will be fine ignoring it, the game is balanced around the dropped loot. I have a tactician and no crafting run and it's been fine even with some weaker builds. You find tons of arrows even without crafting.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zore posted:

Well this is one way to make repairing matter

Stupid. loving euro RPGs!!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Almost every locked chest in the game had a key. They were pretty good about letting you avoid bashing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The real cost of bashing open a chest is actually the time it takes to bash them open. Nobody cares about breakable loot when a majority of your loot is duplicated across other lootables, and most of the loot isn't very great in the first place. I think people care much more about the unknown than "what could have been?"

I mean the cost is already there, they are just trying to attach it to an in-game mechanic (gold) rather than looking at the bigger picture of what does it cost the person playing the game. Make the chests harder to break down and people will have more incentive to consider the alternatives. Alternatives like finding the key to a chest, which also uses time as its cost but that time is used a more engaged fashion for the player, or by allocating points to lock picking and picking the lock.

I wish developers would let go of their "gold is the cost!!!!" mentality when gold in nearly every RPG goes to infinity.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ninjewtsu posted:

"The cost of this action should be a time tax of the player doing nothing interesting for some time" sounds like a really lovely idea ngl
Ya maybe they could just re-purpose the bodybuilding stat and use that for bashing open chests much like lock picking

Either way you look at it: repairing equipment, id'ing items, bashing chests repeatedly, etc is one gigantic time tax. I don't think any rpg studio will ever get money under control without eliminating it entirely so the idea of creating money-penalties is lost on me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nope that's pretty much it. Since magic in EE got a little revamped there is little practical reason to beyond 4 points in a school so it's possible to just have one mage cover all schools. Just pick the best master spell at your level and then replace it with the higher level one when you get to 25.

Builds are basically:

2h warrior good early, great mid/late

SnS warrior bad early good mid/late (just use a 2h weapon early game while building)

Mage great early, good mid, godlike late

Dw warrior bad early good mid great late

Archer bad early good mid godlike late (make sure to actually use arrows early game to make it bearable)

Dw rogue idk

If you don't know how to build then it's basically pump your main stat, get SPD to 9 or so. If you are playing blind or without a faq then I suggest pumping perception on your archer. Avoid the defensive skills in general except a point or two into willpower/body building. Only bump shield for SnS. Don't ever touch any of the utility skills or armor speciality. Put a point into leadership on mage but get the rest through gear. Don't pump dw on a wand mage unless you are going for the gimmick dw build (it sucks). Splash 1 point on warriors into magic schools for spells that don't require int, like summon spider. Once you get some Dex on gear, grab a point into scoundrel for self haste. If you nuke on your mage, grab offensive stance from men at arms cause it works on magic.

Sorry that's a bit rambly. Might have a mistake but I don't think so. Best party is easily 2h/archer/mage and then duplicate whatever you like the most for your 4th.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 4, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There are also people who didn't like the story but still read every text box cause they liked Larian's writing style. The game really does cater to a lot of people.

I was a text box skipper myself towards the end.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That bit about the soundtrack sounds really cool. It sounds like you get to pick your favorite instruments at the start of the game and that will shape the soundtrack for the rest of the game.

I hope the kazoo is available.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm gonna try and play this one as blind as possible cause I felt the difficulty in Original Sin plummeted once you read what the OP abilities was. Kind of skeptical that the game will be anywhere near balanced!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So uh, tactician seems pretty hard this time around!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ojetor posted:

Is that what it is? That explains a lot about my current game. That's pretty disappointing, to be honest. The awesome thing about tactician in DOS1 was that while enemies did get a slight stat bump, the true difficulty came from changed encounters by having additional skills on enemies, or more enemies, or stronger kinds of enemies. Just giving everything massive stat boots is a pretty awful way of increasing difficulty.

Probably gonna keep on powering through tactician since it's not possible to lower difficulty and I'm 10 horus in already, but I'm not thrilled with having to cheese every encounter by stacking the deck prefight and savescumming for perfect openers.

I'll also say flat stat boosts interact really badly with the armor system in this game. When enemies have huge armor values, having split sources of damage among your party is a big disadvantage because you can't focus down enemies if you have to go through both kinds of armor. I feel the game would be far easier if I just had 4 physical damage guys instead of my current 2 physical 2 magic split.
I actually really disagree that stat boosts weren't necessary - by end of OS1 you could alpha most groups no problem. They literally could not survive long enough to use those extra skills. The downside to this approach though is the very obvious brutal beginning game and it's not like that was exactly a problem in OS1.

I'm still sticking with it too but I agree about your armor system complaint big time. The only redeeming factor is one mage can shred the magic armor with damage so the other mage can slam home the debuffs. But I think I'm gonna respec into like a hybrid/physical physical/mage, yeah.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Part of me is wondering if the following party would work well:

Fane as warfare/necro
Beast as conjuror (summon / leadership)
Ilfan as Ranger (huntsman/pyro)
Sebille as Shadowblade (scoundrel / poly)

Then Fane takes Geo, Beast takes Hydro, Ilfan takes ranged skill (he already has pyro from Ranger), and Sebille takes Aero.

Basically a physical damage party but it covers everything. Fane has poison for self heals, beast can summon or heal as needed, ilfan can poo poo out damage and use the non int based pyro spells like haste, and Sebille can use non int based powers like teleport. Plus everyone gets a cool elemental splash combo power or two.
I've been doing Ranger / Conjuror / Rogue / Sword and Board on blind tactician and it's been fine so far. I'll probably start splashing soon.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

404notfound posted:

How do formations work? Sometimes I'll stop while walking in one direction and notice that my formation appears to be rotated 90 degrees or so. And if your main guy is a backliner, is there any way to walk around while keeping your melee guys in front, or do you have to take control of a frontliner? This seems like it'd be doubly frustrating if your talker isn't in the front, for those situations where conversations can pop up without warning.
They seem a bit busted. They work like half the time.

What does work is the #2-4 positions. The #1 position, as in the player you are controlling, will always lead the formation for better or for worse.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 19, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So is the dwarf a cool dude? Thinking of dropping the lizard for the dwarf for a change of personality.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I restarted as a party of 2 Lone Wolf undead summoners on Tactician and the entire game is a joke when you have 8 points in Summoning at level 3
Yeah I took a peek at my friend's game and his philosophy was "Why would I do anything else but drop 4 totems every turn with my party", the damage just multiplies.

Harrow posted:

At the end of Act 1, I'm pretty drat happy with my party. Here's how it's going so far:
  • Ifan: Ranged, Huntsman, Aerotheurge. Teleports up to a high elevation and rains down death. Also sometimes teleports enemies around to amuse himself.
  • Red Prince: Warfare, Necromancer, Hydrosophist. Probably should've had this be Fane (with Geomancer instead of Hydrosophist), but either way he's pretty badass and really drat hard to kill.
  • Sebille: Dual Wielding, Scoundrel, Polymorph. Competes with Ifan for damage superstar. Plus, if she doesn't kill you, she'll turn you into a chicken and then fly away. Seriously, I can't possibly oversell how amazing Scoundrel and Polymorph are together. She's tough, strong, and has great CC and mobility.
  • Fane: Summoning, Geomancer. Mostly pumping everything into Summoning right now because, as everyone else has said, incarnates and totems are rad as gently caress.
That's not to say I haven't had some rocky fights, but combining those skill selections with stealing every piece of equipment I can get Sebille's grubby mitts on has let me tackle some tough fights without too much sweat. It's mostly a physical damage party--Fane usually tries to summon incarnates and totems on blood for more physical damage--with loads of knockdowns, a couple of hard CCs on Sebille, and just a whole lot of fun.
This is actually really similar to my tactician party. I haven't really gone into dual wielding on Sebille but she does what she does at zero points. I actually really like Red Prince in this makeup cause he can actually strip magic armor pretty quickly with flame breath, although mine is geomancer.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 19, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

A Strange Aeon posted:

That doesn't sound too fun at all!
I agree, I think it's pretty lame too but different strokes for different folks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dr. Carwash posted:

So are all the major fights supposed to be nearly impossible on Tactician? I finally got out of Fort Joy by cheesing fights (ex: killing a guy and then retreating). Idk what I'm supposed to do when they have like 4x my stats and my useless rogue is still running around naked.
Sounds like you left too early by using cheesy strats.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pikey posted:

Can somebody tell me if sebille gets any more interesting to play as a main character? I thought she sounded interesting but so far (a little into Fort Joy) she is really just a goth/sadomasochist trope that seems pretty by the numbers. I'd rather know sooner than later if she gets more interesting or if I should just restart as a different origin
Nope.

Honestly people probably are expecting too much from the characters. Just pick the origin whose voice and demeanor syncs with you and don't concern yourselves with their overall story.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The most interesting origin people to me to pick are either Red Prince or Sebille. This is mainly because their companion versions can be very different than how you play them, at least up through the fort. Companion Red Prince was borderline stupid to me, and Sebille is completely insane. Whereas if you control them you can mold them to be something more to your liking, like dialing back the racism and stuff. This does mean you skip some of their prompts from time to time, whereas I suspect some people would rather always pick them all the time regardless of consequences (I don't blame them).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Was there an in game tutorial about combining spell books or did I miss something?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SirSamVimes posted:

Do we have any ETA on a fix for the always wet bug? I just lost a fight because my best dps was constantly stunned by casual lightning bolts.
Restart your steam, that patch has been out since Monday night.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

PerilPastry posted:

I'm one small push away from buying this since everything I've seen just oozes character and playfulness, but I have to ask:

Does this have as much fiddly inventory management as the first Original Sin? I enjoyed the gameplay and atmosphere a lot but after a while juggling items/backpacks really started to grate on me.
It's way better. Everyone's inventory appears in one panel now and there's easy auto sorting.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't know if the difficulty is high enough to need to respec and min/max like that. My buddy and I are blowing through the game on tactician co-op pretty easily with the premade characters. Difficulty might ramp up eventually tho, and we are grabbing every available quest for the XP.
My opinion on Tactician is that it's really the mode for Explorers more than anything. Gear makes a big difference so whatever you do to maximize that is more gainful than anything else. I've read of people just max'ing out lucky charm and feeling like they busted the game that way.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

Were Totems completely different in early access or something, because it seems like a really obvious oversight on how absurdly powerful they are. Especially with how little the investment is. You straight up win fights the longer they go, because of so many free actions and the fact that you can wall a unit with Oil+totem making to waste turns.
I mean this stuff existed in OS1 too, it was really up to the player if they wanted to play that way. People would make actual barrel mazes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

It's really dumb that shield throw is way better than my normal attack. Fane is basically dealing huge chunks of physical damage on shield turns, and throwing out oil and fortifying himself on the cooldown.

I guess I'm not into melee that much, because my only other physical is a Ranger which is unfair because she has Ifan's bow.
It was way worse in OS1 for tank characters. It's nice that they at least have an attack skill now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Read a post earlier today on reddit that school points raise your damage by a multiplicative 5% rather than additive like attributes. Wouldn't surprise me if that's true.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Because you can press the flee button and become a noncombatant, you avoid attacks of opportunities. Duck Duck lets you do the same thing without pressing the button and going manual.

In general duck duck is probably better. That infinite AP thing the other guy posted is pretty comical though but it's pretty much a byproduct of the co-op mode.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm gonna settle on 2x physical 2x magic for my tactician reroll and hope for the best!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's not a tax, he gets it as a bonus. Unless you pick conjuring then its his talent pick.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Phlegmish posted:

I just finished downloading a 925.4 MB patch, anyone know if this is 3.0.143.324 or something that dropped just now?
That's the localization patch. It came after the bug fix patch so you should be up to date by now, probably.

---

Also speaking of opaqueness, I think persuasion has probably won out as being the most "wtf" thing. I have no idea if pumping a persuasion stat is actually doing anything because I can't tell if I have to be controlling the person with the persuasion skill, or if the persuader has to have good stats in those checks, or if it's a difference between my stats and their stats, or if it's just one black box that factors in everything (assuming I'm even controlling the right character) that should just work. Most of the time it doesn't pass anyway despite doing what I think are all the right things. In the end it just feels arbitrary.

I'd rather just kill everyone than engage with that system.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 22, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ended up with an incarnate who got chicken'ed and couldn't pass his turn. Just a nice good ole' soft lock :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
As good as conjuring is, it has to be one of the most boring schools.

Anyway party of 2 physical / 1 magical / 1 support going pretty much fine as expected. I get the desire to focus on 3 physical dps and just brute force but archery still feels pretty boring in Divinity so off I go.

One of the things I did not expect was dual wield wands outputting so much damage.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Summoning doesn't feel too OP to me yet on a single character. You must really have to rush 10 soon to get OP status, or be using that broken bone widow thing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Phlegmish posted:

So my current party is Sebille - Summoning + Necromancer, Ifan - Fighter, Fane - Rogue and Lohse - Pyro + Geomancer. Thoughts, tips, any blind spots? I've noticed that restoring magic armor is tied to Hydromancy, so that could be a problem.
Geo restores physical armor, hydro for magical. You can get some other forms of armor from other schools like poly.

Imo don't think of things as blind spots, when you find cool things don't be afraid to sink a point or two into the relevant school use it. I won't be surprised if you see some things in poly and want to give them a go. Some people go as far as two points in huntsman, an archery skill tree, for their melee people just for the blink+haste!

That said the best advice for anyone is if someone is dealing physical damage you should increase warfare for the passive bonus before the weapon skill. This will keep your weapon choices open for a long time before you settle and let you use warfare skills to boot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If there's anything I've learned from this thread it's that every school is simultaneously pretty lovely and also overpowered.

If I could mail a letter to myself back in time I would've told myself to make sure to pick persuasion on whomever is the pet pal person. That's about it p much.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
OS1 was barely balanced either, and even the EE edition was marginally better while introducing even more broken combos. I don't think Larian cares to balance that much although this game is quite a bit better in terms of lemons.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Initiative is only important relative to your other characters to determine which of your characters goes first (like making sure the character who sets up your combos goes first and the character who does your CCs goes last), the game will always alternate turns between player and enemies.
Only on Tactician iirc

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm like half way through Tactician and the only shield I've got on is a cleric and TBH the shield toss ability hasn't been that impressive.

The source system is kind of dumb though, I'm just ignoring most of it.

Dongattack posted:

One of my biggest problems in games like these is trying to figure out how much to put into Con and i end up making a team of one meaty tank (which can't hold agro in this game since there isn't really a threat mechanic) and 3 glass cannons that get oneshot.

How much/often do you guys put points into Con on your characters?
Not much beyond what you get for gear. You will have to boost con to wear shields if you want them. You can always pump warfare and take the picture for health talent eventually too for your physical people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Baby T. Love posted:

You recall incorrectly. It's like this on Classic too, at least.
Welp that's dumb of them